Yogababa

There's still Age of Mythology: Extended Edition and Impossible Creatures Steam Edition if you want some classics.

As for newer RTS games, I have been enjoying the hell out of Divinity: Dragon Commander, which is a combination of Grand Strategy (turn-based) and RTS. The biggest disadvantage there is that the multiplayer section of the game is almost permanently abandoned, so you'll have to make do with the single player campaign. On the positive side though, the single player campaign is fantastic, and really worth playing. Get it in a sale or something if you care, it's pretty much a hidden gem.

Another RTS game I can recommend is Offworld Trading Company. It's more of a trading and resource management game in which you try to disrupt and sabotage your opponents to make maximum moneys, on Mars. It's not about building an empire and fighting people with armies, this is about claiming resource-rich territory, building extraction facilities, boobytrapping enemy facilities and trade convoys, researching tech, manipulating the market and buying out the other companies. Has a lot of freedom and custom map creation, and can get more tense and exciting than it sounds. I wholeheartedly recommend it, it's very cool. 
(As we speak, Offworld Trading Company is at 50% off, which makes its price very reasonable)

Otherwise I can recommend games like Civ Beyond Earth, Civ V, Endless Legend, etc. but those are mostly 4X games, turn-based rather than real-time, and maybe that's not what you're looking for.

well like Thommas, i have actually looked towards Total war for a decent RTS experience, so much i am enjoying the new release of Total war Warhammer, epic fantasy battles on a grand scale play for the campaign alone multiplayer is icing on the cake. reminds me a lot of battleforge lol

i guess i enjoy turn based for now, although i do still play real time with a passion

such as League of Legends, Rise of Nations Age of Empires/Mythology, i would be so bored if Steam didn't have any of that

Edited by Yogababa

RTS? I'm more of a turn based or semi-turn based player myself ;) That would include Civ V, Total war series, EU4, CK2, Mount & Blade, Stellaris.

As far as RTS is concerned I sometimes play my Warcraft III I got waaaaaaay back in, idk, like 2005 or something? That and the Empire Earth/Anno series, old but gold.

Well, RTS are probably my most favorite types of games. C&C (except 4th one), Supreme Commander, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Rise of nations: Rise of Legens, Starcraft, Warcraft, god there is so much :D Also really like Heroes of might and magic, though those are turn based.

I played some StarCraft 2, after release of legacy of the void I almost stopped playing because this game is too fast for me. I was suprised that so many people here mentioned Age of Mythology, I always thought that it was really unpopular game due to AoE. Stronghold is quite nice (Crusader if you prefer skirmishes original for more economic based gameplay), also Anno franchise is quite fun to play. From card games I tried Duelyst and it's like M&M:DoC fused with HoMM, speaking about Duel of Champions it's a shame that Ubi killed it year ago, and now it's going to be shut down on 31st of October. Now I'm left with tiltstone and it's stupid mechanics.

Yeah, AoE2 and AoM were really good. Don't fancy playing them anymore though.
There haven't been (m)any good RTS games for years now. Spellforce is an all-time classic for me, quite time consuming due to its RPG elements but a brilliant and atmospheric game otherwise (developed by Phenomic who also made Battleforge of course). Then there's Majesty if you want something unique. Replayed both a couple of times since BF was shut down.

Though I also prefer TBS e.g. HoMM3, HoMM4 and all the MtG Planeswalkers titles. These I also play to this day.
Eador is another TBS gem not a lot of people know of. It's friggin' complex - in a good way - and the next installment in the series is in early access at the moment.

Steam has also added Caesar 3 to their repertoire of games which is another brilliant title I've been playing on and off since it got first released in 1998.
Cossacks 3 will be released next month, it might turn out well. The series is reminiscent of Age of Empires.

3 hours ago, Pucchin said:

Stronghold is quite nice (Crusader if you prefer skirmishes original for more economic based gameplay)

Completely forgot about that one. Found HD version on my PC, playing the hell out of it today. Also I seen Cossacks series mentioned, really didnt know that anyone knows about those games :v I really liked the setting (17th-18th century), you dont see that often in RTS games, or in any games in general.

Edited by Nemoo SK
Forgot to mention Cossacks :>

3 hours ago, Pucchin said:

Stronghold is quite nice 

By far the RTS I enjoyed the most (except for BF) is stronghold Legends. the textures are imo better than age of empires or the other stronghold games and the unique units and buildings for each folk give the game a certain extra strategic feeling... just so good

also, who remembers a game called Age of empires online. It has been on steam for a while, but got killed in 2014 by microsoft (i think). https://www.ageofempires.com/news/2014/07/01/the-end-of-the-world/

32 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

also, who remembers a game called Age of empires online. It has been on steam for a while, but got killed in 2014 by microsoft (i think). https://www.ageofempires.com/news/2014/07/01/the-end-of-the-world/

I was quite happy for AoE's revival but didn't like the cartoony graphics and MMO elements to do with your hometown (waiting for days to get resources etc.).

3 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

yeah, that part was not great, but I enjoyed the graphics more than those of AoE II or the stronghold games... also, the gemeplay was good, and the personalization of buildings and troops was really good for a free to play game.

i never got into it mainly because of the same reasons, i play Boom Beach but i had rather play classic AoE and AoM 

does anyone have a favorite Lord/Hero/Main Character in an RTS game?

• 2 months later...

I've been playing some Starcraft 2 here and there, if you want to add me on there send me a PM :P I also like Civ 5 (haven't gotten civ 6 yet due to poverty :D) but its not an RTS,  though its my most played game on Steam.

How exactly did I not comment on this?

Spellforce (not the second game, the original), one of my fav RTS of all time. It also has tons of RPG elements. I love it <3
But another good RTS that I personally didn´t enjoy as much, but I know many others did and I know it´s a fantastic game, just not my taste:
Supreme Commander (series)

Knights and Merchants hasn't been named either. That was my childhood game (released a year before AoE2 I think) and I still play it sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic. It isn't very competitive like AoE but managing your economy and running a village is a game on it's own. It is really great fun.