Widescreen 21:9 support

Falkum

Hi girls and gents,

as a matter of couriousity, because i m using one of these monitors: Will 21:9 widescreen resolutions (like 3440:1440) be supported by the game? Does one of the alpha testers have such a monitor? And if so, how would be the positioning of the minimap and other HUD elements?

Greetings!

Hi Falkum,

Battleforge was one of the first games to support both DX11 and Eyefinity. In theory it should also support ultra wide monitors...

Unfortunately WSGF have taken off their pages regarding Battleforge when the game was officially pulled, however some threads remain. If none of us are able to answer you on these forums, then I urge you to register at WSGF and ask the question there. Some users might recall running BF on an ultra wide monitor and answer your query. Who knows, you might find people there who'd be delighted to know that BF is getting unofficial support and will rush to this forum or to your aid ;)

That's all I can do to help, as I'm using a 16:10 monitor. Unfortunately BF is incompatible with this ratio, and doesn't even support letterboxing (instead, it crops the edges of the screen).

70cc7k9.png

Here are a couple of WSGF links to get you started:
http://www.wsgf.org/article/amd-eyefinity-5x1-portrait-review-battle-forge
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=19155&p=6844

Eyefinity:

Hope you'll find what you're looking for!

6 hours ago, Ilsyde said:

Hi Falkum,

Battleforge was one of the first games to support both DX11 and Eyefinity. In theory it should also support ultra wide monitors...

Unfortunately WSGF have taken off their pages regarding Battleforge when the game was officially pulled, however some threads remain. If none of us are able to answer you on these forums, then I urge you to register at WSGF and ask the question there. Some users might recall running BF on an ultra wide monitor and answer your query. Who knows, you might find people there who'd be delighted to know that BF is getting unofficial support and will rush to this forum or to your aid ;)

That's all I can do to help, as I'm using a 16:10 monitor. Unfortunately BF is incompatible with this ratio, and doesn't even support letterboxing (instead, it crops the edges of the screen).

70cc7k9.png

Here are a couple of WSGF links to get you started:
http://www.wsgf.org/article/amd-eyefinity-5x1-portrait-review-battle-forge
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=19155&p=6844

Eyefinity:

Hope you'll find what you're looking for!

Strange..I remember playing Battleforge on a 1920x1200 screen..without problems..

@Ilsyde I know it was possible to run BF at resolutions that weren't supported by meddling with some files (.ini maybe). But I'm by far no expert and didn't have the need for it so I can't help myself.
Unfortunately the threads are gone along with the old forum. Maybe someone who is more experienced with the topic can help or make a suggestion.
It should work for 16:10 I guess as there aren't that many configurations.

3 hours ago, MarbSlonk said:

I'm quite sure I ran BF perfectly fine in 16:10. I have a 1680*1050 monitor and I never had any problems with it, so it should be fine I guess. I also never edited any files or changed settings.

Yep the game runs in 16:10, however the edges of the screen are cropped. Let me explain.

Below is a screenshot taken in 16:9 aspect ratio. The two horizontal red lines depict 16:10 ratio.
When games support gaming monitors (i.e. 16:10 displays), you'd expect the vertical field of view to be extended and the two black bars to be filled in, so you can see more of the game area.

BWwEtEx.png

Batteforge only suppots hor+ which means it can only add to, or reduce the horizontal gaming area. It can't extend the screen verically which is the requirement for 16:10 compatibility. Yes, it supports 16:10 resolutions but isn't fully compatible with this ratio.

Here is a screenshot taken using a screen resolution in 16:10 aspect ratio:

DlcSsW7.png

As you can see, the building that was on the previous screenshot to the left is not visible anymore. The game zooms in and crops the edges of the screen, instead of extending the gaming area.
Which means you're at a disadvantage if you choose a 16:10 resolution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2016 at 0:18 PM, Falkum said:

Well I stated a question at the wide-sceen-gaming-forum as suggested. You can find it here: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=31123

Lets see if someone answers it.

I've replied to your thread at WSGF in order to bump it.

In the meantime, here is a little something for you. BFR running in a 1720x720 window which is the closest I can get to emulating 21:9 on my setup. I see no distortions or cropping which is a very good sign.

7h6qrnP.png

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, LagOps said:

*plz no kill for nekro, this is still relevant, right?*

Is there currently anyone in beta able to test 21:9 resolutions in fullscreen? i am thinking about a hardware upgrade to 21:9 and am not sure if bafo can handle it.

yeah.... You should've asked in Skype Chat like you eventually did or in the beta section ;) 

• 1 year later...