Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kharis

Starting a Kickstarter

Has anyone thought about raising a KickStarter? I'm pretty sure plenty of people would have pledged, the funds could speed up the process of re-making the game, and we could bring it to Alpha/Beta or even Live state quite soon.

14 minutes ago, Kharis said:

Has anyone thought about raising a KickStarter? I'm pretty sure plenty of people would have pledged, the funds could speed up the process of re-making the game, and we could bring it to Alpha/Beta or even Live state quite soon.

Since even had to stop the donations, because they became to much, I don't think that it would speed up anything as of right now.

Lol. It's not how it works unfortunately. I highly doubt they would allow us to raise money for a private server that EA owns/had owned.

And asking EA for help is just another lol.

Sorry, it won't happen, as far as I see it.

Edited by fiki574

17 minutes ago, Tomassas said:

Because you ask not help EA to reopen the battleforge?

I think that getting EA involved in the project is one of the last things this project wants.

Werterror likes this

24 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

I think that getting EA involved in the project is one of the last things this project wants.

Well... Seeing as EA has a rather bad public image that is in a critical stage right now, we maybe could use that to our advantage. Maybe not as far as getting them involved but maybe we could persuade them to make a statement about bfreborn on the Battleforge Facebook page or so.

That also protects this project to a certain point since the backlash would be rather huge if they shut this project down for no reason.

Let's be real. Nobody who got screwed over by the battleforge shutdown will ever buy EA games again. It's not just the shutdown, it is the way EA disregarded this game entirely because it did not make the amount of money they hoped for. They rather support browser games because they are at least cheap to make. EA has no reason to support innovative games and they certainly do not aspire making great games at all, the only thing they care about is money. It's fine if the games they publish can't even be called average anymore, all they have to do is bring in some money. Games, which do not aspire greatness and have just been made to make money, are something i will never buy again. And if they ever don't screw over the community, it is because it was convenient to improve their public image and never because EA would care about their products or gaming in general. EA systematically destroys game studios to make a profit and some of you actually think contacting them and asking for help would do any good?

Them not being an ass just once wouldn't change anyone's opinion and them being an ass and getting in our way would not cause an outrage because that's what everyone expects EA to do in the first place. The community is just too small to cause an outrage and we don't buy EA games anymore anyways, so EA can just continue not to care about us. And if we ever manage to make BFR super sucessfull, EA will try to make profit in one way or another. It would be best to never ever write EA ever again as long as we really don't have to. It is best for this project goes under their radar. So please for the love of god, don't spread the :hype: to EA. :hype: to them means a totally different thing than what :hype: means to us...

And many many more games... 

Whenever Sims come out, my sister buys them and I am dissapointed that EA shamelessly goes over the dead bodies of great games do deliver these popular ones that target another audience than me. I know it won't happen ever that everyone will be happy, but one would think that with these Sims $$ and FIFA $$ and other dozens of $$ they could throw in some to revive games which cause hate and despise of other EA product and cutting their future profits and especially reputation prematurely, but... they don't need to care. We can't make them and I still think we can be happy for this project to be alive... doesn't of course satisfy the players of other buried games, but that's unfortuately the way it is.

:bf:  <3 

It's called The waiting for BFR to come. One of the best on the market, AngryJoe gave 10/10, Yahtzee approved, and Jim Sterling with TotalBiscuit called it  ''the greatest creation of humankind, way better than Undertale, because of the story telling''. Just image your life, your rules and only one thing remains to be the champion wait for it and keep the :hype: up.

@LagOps makes a valid point that we have partly been following and will continue doing. There is no need as well as no point in informing EA of this in the first place. First of all, they know already. Secondly, if they didn't know and they'd want to know, they would find out about us themselves anyway. They will not and cannot help us in production, not only because there is a possibility EA would not approve, but also because former employees may still be under NDA (although I have read that the duration of the NDA was for production only, which in my education sounds peculiar but alright.) There is no reason, no possibility and no point to be contacting EA or asking them for help, so we'll have to manage on our own and I have faith in the idea that we will.

Since there have been so many "Have you asked EA for help" questions recently, I added this to the FAQ.

EA wasn't all that bad in the past, they allowed Renegade X to flourish by supporting the developers. That game is a fan-made reboot of C&C Renegade based on original IP/assets EA owns to this day.
One thing they're not allowed to do with Renegade X is - you guessed right - profiting from it.

The only way to put BF Reborn on Kickstarter would be by scrapping the IP, engine etc. and starting from scratch i.e. creating a similar game with new assets on Unity or UE for example. Which means the new title wouldn't be Battleforge as we know (knew) it, but something fairly close to the original. It's certainly not impossible and I'm sure a lot of people would back it, but you'd need a decent team of competent programmers, artists, sound designers and a working prototype to show off.

However, Battleforge stays a niche title (like the original Majesty or Battlezone) and most game designers coming out of university have no clue what it is, yet alone what makes a good game tick because they simply haven't had enough gaming experience. There are several hybrid genres that could start a new trend in gaming (like LoL did back then, or how BF would) given enough resources and exposure.

21 minutes ago, Tomassas said:

If we can not rely on EA why not ask for help to other game companies?

Because EA is the owner of the game. They have all the rights. So other game companies may help us, but they may never make money out of it. So why would they help us if they can't make the moneyz?

18 hours ago, Tomassas said:

Anyone know a game similar to Battleforge?

Battleforge was wayyyyy ahead of its time.  I think in the next 5 years we may see a game come out like battleforge.  What REALLY REALLY killed battleforge was the severe lack of marketing in the United States.  Literally there was none.  I do not know about Europe, but in the USA, there was none that I could remember, and I remember thinking OMG this game is awesome, CCG and RTS truly mixed into one game.

EA failed the customer base on that aspect.

Werterror likes this

Yeah, but on the other hand: did you ever see advertisement about league of legends? or dota2?

Ive never seen it. They get publicity by their conventions and tournaments, but I never saw a real advertisement. Maybe for dota2 on steam, but never for League

2 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Yeah, but on the other hand: did you ever see advertisement about league of legends? or dota2?

Ive never seen it. They get publicity by their conventions and tournaments, but I never saw a real advertisement. Maybe for dota2 on steam, but never for League

For LoL yes all the time.  There was quite the marketing campaign when they first launched.  DoTA 2 I never really followed.

4 hours ago, Darian DelFord said:

What REALLY REALLY killed battleforge was the severe lack of marketing in the United States.  Literally there was none.  I do not know about Europe, but in the USA, there was none that I could remember (...)

Pretty much the same for Europe. Also, the fact that the box didn't contain the full product - you had to buy points to enjoy the game. That's was pretty much a death warrant.

So the launch was underwhelming to say the least. And as we all know, if a game's popularity plummets at the beginning then it very rarely recovers. The majority of people in my gaming group didn't know enough about the game to take the plunge. And the rest weren't into strategy games that much.

3 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

As for LoL, tons of people came over from Warcraft 3 (like myself, although I was a Heroes and Armies addict) and publicity was high due to the exceptional circumstances around it.

DotA 2 is Valve. People play and buy their products, regardless whether there are better alternatives out there or not. Same with Blizzard (SC2 beta was going strong when Battleforge got released).

3 minutes ago, Tomassa said:

But we need a company to be able to open BF ? If EA does not want to help us we have to ask other companies right ?

We need a company as in we need to make our own (LLC) company for Battleforge Reborn. We don't need others companies to revive this game.

1 minute ago, Ladadoos said:

We need a company as in we need to make our own (LLC) company for Battleforge Reborn. We don't need others companies to revive this game.

And someone I can explain to me what it is ( LLC ) ?