Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Taker

Map Veto PVP

Hey, 

What do you guys think about Map Vetos for PVP? 

I mean like they are in SC2 for example. You can Veto maybe up to 3 maps you dont want to play in ladder. 

For example Wazai (dont know if i spelled right) could be vetoed cause its fire favoured  (you can cliffdancer over nearly every cliff).

So there would be a more balanced match up if you chose the vetos right. 

On tournaments I think there should be an extra map voting but for ladder i guess this would help against cliff abusing or something like that. 

What do you guys think about that? 

6 minutes ago, Taker said:

Hey, 

What do you guys think about Map Vetos for PVP? 

I mean like they are in SC2 for example. You can Veto maybe up to 3 maps you dont want to play in ladder. 

For example Wazai (dont know if i spelled right) could be vetoed cause its fire favoured  (you can cliffdancer over nearly every cliff).

So there would be a more balanced match up if you chose the vetos right. 

On tournaments I think there should be an extra map voting but for ladder i guess this would help against cliff abusing or something like that. 

What do you guys think about that? 

Is "veto" the same as "ban" in counterpicks?

I never participated in BF tournaments, but I have for other games. In Smash4, there are 5 starter stages. One player bans one, the next player bans 2, and the first player chooses which of the remaining stages to play on.  After one player loses, 2-4 (depending on the specific tournament) stages are added to the possible stage options.  The player who won gets a certain number of bans, and the loser picks freely from the remaining stages.

Is this what you're talking about, or something else?

@Eirias yes you are correct. They are simple bans between the current players. Like hero banning in dota. And i do indeed believe this is a good idea! Many maps are oriented to play very well for a certain faction making it extremely difficult for the other player. A nice idea and maybe as a minor feature in the future

I think what @Taker means is that a player can ban up to 3 maps before the matchmaking for ranked games only.

Personally I don't like it from a game design perspective. There's quite a big risk that maps favouring one faction aren't played anymore. Therefore while the rest of the maps lead to a more balanced elo distribution, the remaining maps will be practically useless.
The banning right also leads to an artificial increase in elo for a player as you can simply ban maps where your deckis at a disadvantage. With that in mind players need to additionally learn about the maps more in-depth if they want to win, thus making the "skill barrier" even higher.

I'm not completely against implementing a banning/veto system but I'd suggest to keep it to a bare minimum (1. one player bans and the other picks or 2. both players ban one each and map is picked randomly from the remaining ones).