Basic Battleforge Guide.

Yinpoukeen

Basic Guide.

This guides aim is to provide all the information you need to understand almost every card in Battleforge. I wanted to do a shadow PvP guide first but instead I think it is more important to focus on the basics before we go deeper into the game with for example PvP tactics, decks, map knowledge and so on. I want to use this guide as the base for my upcoming guides and if you write a guide about PvE tactics or something else fee to link this guide for the basic knowledge. This is my first guide and I never even wrote something similar to this so bare with me. If you see any errors, because we don't want our new and old players to learn something wrong!

Disclaimer: I wrote this guide based on my experience so there will probably be some disagreements.

1. What's essential in Battleforge ?

2. Difference between PvP and PvE.

3. Card Information.

3.1. Unit.

3.2. Spell.

3.3. Building.

3.3.1. Tower.

3.3.1. Normal Buildings.

4. Ingame interface.

1.What's essential in Battleforge ?

There are many different factors in Battleforge and almost all of them are equally essential/important. These factors in my opinion count for both PvP and PvE. [Btw PvP stands for Player versus Player and PvE for Player versus Environment PvP is against other Players and PvE is against a artificial intelligence. (also called AI, Bot or KI)]

The first factor is Map awareness which basically means you should always keep and eye at your minimap you can't always be at the right spot ingame so if you look at your minimap you will be able to see where your enemy may attack. We will go further into detail later on with a possible scenario [4. Ingame interface]

The next factor is your energy management. This one is my opinion the most important factor in the early game especially in PvP or difficult PvE challenges (e.g. 4 Player map solo). Every Unit, Spell or Building costs energy so keeping and eye on it is pretty much your bread and butter in the game.

The Third major factor is card knowledge. Know what your cards can do and what effects/impacts they can bring to the battlefield. The next step would be to not only know your cards rather knowing your enemies cards. This is very important in PvP in PvE the enemy might have different effects and strength depending on the scenario.

Group management is the last factor that is equally important in PvP and PvE. Basically you can divide your Troops in different groups via an ingame button thus making your Unit movement easier but hard to master. You'll need to learn how to move multiple Groups at the same time and easy example would be close combat units and Archers divide them into two groups and always let your close combat units go first that way your enemy has to deal with them first and your ranged units can deal damage without taking damage.

2. Difference between PvP, PvE and rPvE.

For me personally there is a huge difference between PvP and PvE. Both are equally hard many might say PvE is easy but that's not true I have done both in Battleforge to the point where I reached rank ~150 in PvP in 2v2 (I preferred sparrings most of the time) and did the 12 player maps with 3 people which is really hard at a certain difficult. So the main difference is the swiftness of the game in PvP you need to get the fastest start possible so spawn your fastest unit and rush to the next orb the energy well or straight to the enemy (depending on your playstyle) but nevertheless you need to play fast in PvP and get an advantage as early as possible. In PvE however you have most of the times a straight tactic with special units. In PvE you have one deck for each map and difficulty because you need different minions or spells to abuse/control/manipulate the AI and that's not so easy as it may sound. rPvE is a special version of PvE in Battleforge bascially you fight in a random generated Map (1, 2 or 4 Player) and your objective is to destroy every enemy on the map. Unlike in PvE you can stick with one type of deck for rPvE.

So like I said I loved both it is up to you what you want play.

3. Card Information

There is a lot of information on a single card it's a important part in a good match that you learn your cards by heart.

3.1. Unit.

The following picture shows a good example card I've made some markers and try to summarize every aspect briefly. Some things are kind of self explanatory.

821142.png

1. The name of the unit in this Case Nightguard. It's always good to know the name of the cards even if the enemy uses them it helps better coordination with your mate if you play 2v2.

2. This number indicates the energy cost of the card pretty simple. You need 65 energy to summon the Nightguard.

3. The dot/orb indicates the Tier number of the card. In this case it is a Tier 1 pure shadow card so you need one shadow monument to summon this unit. It goes all the way from Tier 1 to Tier 4 (4 Dots). If the dot is fully covered in one color, then you need that type of monument. (Lila=Shadow, Red=Fire, Blue=Ice, Green=Nature those are the basic elements.) Grey=Neutral you can always summon neutral cards they do not depend on the element of your monument you just need the right number. (e.g. 3 frost monuments = Tier 3)

4.This Number indicates how many times you can spawn the Nightguard before it goes on cooldown. In this case you can summon three nightguards and after the thrid is spawned you have to wait a little until you can spawn another one.

5. The flash symbol typically comes with a ranged unit/building it gives you more information about the range and damage of the auto attacks.

6. This is your active ability in the Nightguards case she is able to swap the control with an enemy unit permanently. Not every Unit has a active ability.

7. This is your passive ability the first Nightguard has Swift which means she is able to run fast the other one has Tainted Fury which lets her deal 50% more Damage against Humans. Not every Unit has a passive.

8. The bow symbol indicates, that this unit has range auto attacks. And the letter next to it is pretty important. This means that the unit deals extra damage against L-Units (Large-Units). You need to keep an eye on your enemy if he spawns many XL creatures try to counter them with units that deal extra damage against XL units. Diversity is the key. There are also units that deal extra damage against buildings the don't have any letters instead they have another symbol.

9. This is the damage done in 20 seconds. The displayed damage is not the actual impact damage.

10. Here we see what size our unit is in this case medium and how much hit points she posses. The size is pretty important you need to keep an eye on enemy units and try to counter them.

11. Is the affinity of the card not every card has that. The affinity changes certain effects and is pretty important, because some cards a basically completely different just because of the affinity. There are 4 different types, but there are only 2 versions (e.g. Gifted and Tainted Nightguard no Blessed or Infused.)

(Lila=Tainted, Red=Infused, Blue=Blessed, Green=Gifted,)

12. Is the edition and rarity the pattern indicates the Edition it is from and the color indicates it's rarity. (Rarity: Common=Bronze, Uncommon=Silver, Rare=Gold, Ultra Rare=Diamond) (Editions: Twilight, Renegade, Lost Souls, Amii) so our example card would be Rare and is from Renegade.

13. You can always upgrade your card for more charges or stronger active effects and so on. To upgrade a card you need another copy of the same card. And at the bottom of the Text It shows you in which mission you can farm the Upgrade card. In This case it would be the 4 player mission Empire.

3.2. Spell.

Spells are similar to Units in terms of the card interface as you can see the spell below has the same structure so I'm only going to explain the difference and not the whole card again.

Spells have only one active effect and they can also have an affinity here I choose “Scroched Earth” as an example. Its a huge difference between the two affinities the Tainted one (Lila) has the effect, that your buildings in a certain area take 50% less damage that my find some use in PvE on the other hand the Infused “Scroched Earth” (Red) lets the buildings in that area take 20% more damage and if a building is under construction it wont be finished until the spells effect is over which is huge in PvP.

546950.png

3.3. Buildings

I split buildings into two categories Tower and Normal Buildings to prevent confusion.

3.3.1. Tower

Tower are essential in PvE for most lower missions they are not so common in PvP or only certain towers with special abilities. I took the Necroblaster as an example just because he has many abilities. However not every tower has to have abilities there are many towers with just basic attacks. Ne Necroblaster has a special mechanic his auro collects energy from nearby corpses and can fire with that energy if there are no dead units then he wont be able to fire. He also possesses a active ability which is also his affinity difference with this ability you can basically sacrifice your own unit so that the tower can fire. (Pretty common in shadow decks to sacrifice your own units.)

The card structure itself is similar again to the Units and Spells that's why I don't elaborate and explain the whole card again I hope that's ok for you

744891.png

3.3.2. Normal Buildings

In this case I take the card “Healing Gardens” as an example and it has no affinity so there is only this version in the game. Normal buildings unlike towers have no attack damage shown they mostly have only one or two effects which can be actives or auras. “Healing Gardens” are good for healing your Units it would find some use in PvE not so much in PvP because the card needs 3 orbs which wouldn't fit in most PvP decks.

That's everything I came up with about the cards and different types if you have anything else please let me know and I'll add it.459051.png

4. Ingame Interface.

Now we are going to take a look ingame and whats important there I already explained some things at the start but I think its better to have it visually. This is going to be the last part of this guide.

I choose a Screenshot from the tutorial and numbered a couple of things I hope it is not to much of a mess. I will go through every point shortly and hope you'll understand.

477995.jpeg

1. The Bell-button has a single and simple use by clicking on it you select every unit in your control . This is mostly used to gather your units or to go all in for a hopefully finishing blow on your enemy.

2. and 3. This is the group management. You can create groups by holding the left mouse button and select your units then you click on the Plus-button (Number 3.) that way you can manage your groups via the keys 1 to 9 on your keyboard or click on them. This feature is great for PvP and PvE you can for example but your healing units in an extra group and let them move behind your main group that way they are harder to hit for your enemy.

4. Number 4 is the Chat you would use it to navigate in coop missions or PvP but I recommend Teamspeak or Skype because ain't no body has time for writing while battling. It's mostly used for writing GG after the game or flame you teammate if you lose.

5. Here is you whole deck displayed you can see that the playable cards are higher than the non playable (the last 2 cards.) and you can see the charges of every card. In this case you used all your charges on your eruption spell (third card) and you can see that it is on cooldown. You can spawn units/spells/buildings by either dragging them or press a hotkey.

6. This is your Tower completely build and ready to fire you can see a small green health bar over it.

7. Is a melee tier 1 (Only one orb required) unit behind the wall they obviously cant attack over the wall.

8. This is the active ability from the wall that you target. You can click on it to lower the gates and let your melee units go through. (This button appears on every unit/building with a active ability if you select it)

9. Here we can see your range units you can but s units on top of walls they will get a bonus on their def stats.

10. Number 10 displays your team in this case you are in a single player mission so there is no one else.

11. This is you selected unit/building/target you can see the active abilities on the left side and in the bottom right corner is the HP.

12. The small hammer is used to repair buildings. Click on a damaged building and the on the hammer to repair it. This process consumes energy so be careful sometimes a wall is not as important as a new unit.

13. The Skull-button is used to destroy selected units or buildings.

14. Is your minimap you can see the parts of the map that you explored the rest is still hidden. You also see your own buildings/units (the green dots) and enemies (Red ones) other teammates would be blue or some other color. Always keep and eye on your minimap. I personally used to navigate a lot via the minimap.

15. This displays your Void Energy. I'm not going to explain how its works there is a thread here that does that part pretty good. Long story short if your units die your void energy goes up and decays back down so if you lose a lot of units you will get more energy for a short amount of time. (Void Power explained)

16. Displays how many units you have you can only have a certain amount of units so you don't want to cap it out.

17. Shows your total energy you are able to use.

18. Shows the other part of gaining energy through energy wells. Every energy well has it's capacity after a certain amount 1k or 2k energy harvested they'll run out of energy in this case the energy wells have 5533 energy left before they run out.

19. Displays how many Monuments you have and which type. In this case you own one fire and one ice monument. Different elements are needed for different cards.

20. This shows you goal in a mission.

21. Options,

22. Here we can see the enemy units most of the times red or orange.

Ok this was my basic guide for Battleforge I hope it will help new players to understand the game.

If anything is unclear feel free to ask. I'm not a native English speaker so there will be some errors.

I mainly wrote this to help the community and to improve my English writing was always the most difficult part for me. I hope you enjoy it and see you ingame as soon as they release it! :D

Update 1:

Added difference between PvP, PvE and rPve (thanks to Treim)

Changed number 4. and 9. on the unit explanation. (thanks to Ladadoos)

Added graphical as a Tag (thanks to Eirias)

Edited by Yinpoukeen
Matryxx likes this

While i think you did an overall good job I'd like to add that you should probably differ rPVE and PVE as the approach on how to play these modes is quite different - much like the difference between PVE and PVP.

19 minutes ago, Yinpoukeen said:

4. This Number indicates how many charges you have on that card. You can't summon more than 3 Nightguards at the same time if you want to summon more you need to wait a bit as soon as yousummon one a cooldown will be applied until it has 3 charges again.

9. This is the damage number of the unit.

I would like to first quote a few other guides/videos who also explain parts you mentioned:

4 - This number doesn't indicate the amount of charges you have on that card, but rather how many units you can spawn before it goes into cooldown. Each charge on Nightguard for example allows you to spawn 3 more Nightguards before it goes into cooldown.

9 - It's probably important to mention that this is the damage done in 20 seconds (and that sometimes the damage displayed is not really how much the damage the unit does, but that's a different note).

These are just some smalls things I found while quickly reading through it, nice job nonetheless. I´ll for sure read through it once more :) 

Edited by Ladadoos

Good job! I like the pictures.

My only comment is that you should probably specialize and advertise this as maybe a graphic or interface guide to :bf:

For overall guides, you'd have to be competing with Kaldra's and Circadia's (both are super awesome and I'd suggest you check them out).

I'm not saying you can't compete with them, but Circadia's guide is one of the best guides I've seen for any game, ever.

1 hour ago, Yinpoukeen said:

9. This is the damage done in 20 seconds. The displayed damage is not the actual impact damage.

This is only the case by some cards. As far as I know, most cards display the correct damage. @Mental Omega could mention some cards with wrong damage displayed.

1 minute ago, Ladadoos said:

This is only the case by some cards. As far as I know, most cards display the correct damage. @Mental Omega could mention some cards with wrong damage displayed.

He means its the correct damage, but its over 20 sec.

So its not the impact damage per hit, its the damage from all the hits in 20 sec.

I think the part he wrote in the quote you have is right, but you misunderstood it.

Just now, SilenceKiller99 said:

He means its the correct damage, but its over 20 sec.

So its not the impact damage per hit, its the damage from all the hits in 20 sec.

I think the part he wrote in the quote you have is right, but you misunderstood it.

Now that you mentioned it, you're right. I misunderstood what he said. Thanks :)

@Yinpoukeen You might wanna give an example, like this:

e666ae09a7f352846e16d2cf5cc4feb8.png

(Enjoy my beautiful paint skills :P)

Btw: when I was choosing the card to give the example with, I saw that a lot of cards actually give a strange number. Can someone explain me why? For example Windweavers have 10 attack, and shoot every 2 seconds. So when a squad of 6 shoot every 2 seconds you get 60 damage per 2 sec --> 600 damage per 20 sec. Still the card says 480 in the under-left corner.

Edited by SilenceKiller99

1 hour ago, Ladadoos said:

You've summoned me mortal, now I shall grant you your wish.

The cards with the wrong values are actually easy to remember. Almost all ranged units which have a min/max value are wrong. So, you should probably remember the few important ones which happen to have correct values.

As for the calculation, Vulcan was an easy example because it always deals 120 damage to every unit, no matter what. If this unit had a maximum damage (like most units have) you need to add the minimum damage to the maximum damage and divide by two so you get the average damage. Divide this again by the rate of fire, this can then be multiplied by 20.

That gives you: (min + max) / 2 / rate of fire * 20. Pretty straight forward.

However, doing so often gives very different result than actually stated on the card. One might get the impression that this is the wrong approach but when just taking minium or maximum damage and multiply it by 20 you won't get the stated value either. Naturally, you first need to calculate the DPS (which is damage divided by rate of fire) before you multiply by 20.

Moreover, there actually are cards which have the stats you'd expect if you calculate it the way I do. One example is the beautiful Tortugun ( (672 + 1008) / 2 / 2 * 20 = 8400 ) or cards like Lost Dancer (which actually has 666 damage but I think that is close enough).

Most frequently, it are cards which deal damage to only one target have the correct value (Rifle Cultists, T1 archers) but even then there are cards like Windweavers, Amii Phantom or Gladiatrix that still don't show the correct number.

I really cannot give a different explanation than the one that Phenomic just screwed it up. And I can't even think of something that could cause that.
Because if we look at cards like Bandit Sorceress (but many cards are like her), the card states the following: 550 ATK / 470 HP.

However, (44 + 66) / 2 / 3 * 20 = 366 (which equates to terrible). Curiously, if we add another 50% (which is equal to the bonus damage you get from attacking the correct size), this gives the correct attack value (550).
Even just multiplying max damage doesn't give the correct result: 66 / 3 * 20 = 440.

Really, they just screwed it up. There is no other word to describe it.

That is also a reasons why I made my own Excel sheet that states the correct values. I'll probably release it to public somewhen but it needs more tidying up.

15 minutes ago, Mental Omega said:

That is also a reasons why I made my own Excel sheet that states the correct values. I'll probably release it to public somewhen but it needs more tidying up.

That would be really nice!

Thanks for your very helpfull information. This will make me more aware of the fact that some units are just worse than the card says.

What might have caused the strange values, is that phenomic tested all cards on the same unit (or test dummy unit) which was coded with a size. For example with the bandit sorcerers they might have tried it on a unit or testdummy which had S size, and therefor they typed the damage on the card with the 50% bonus for the correct size.

3 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

For example Windweavers have 10 attack, and shoot every 2 seconds. So when a squad of 6 shoot every 2 seconds you get 60 damage per 2 sec --> 600 damage per 20 sec. Still the card says 480 in the under-left corner.

That's because windweavers shoot every 2, 5 seconds. I'm not sure if that's every 2.5 seconds or twice every five seconds (one shot after 2 seconds, one shot after 3 more seconds) but either way, it works out to 8 shots in a 20 second window, which is 480 damage.

@Ladadoos

I just looked at the allbfcards. It just says every 2 seconds. Is that a problem for all the archers?

11 minutes ago, Eirias said:

@Ladadoos

I just looked at the allbfcards. It just says every 2 seconds. Is that a problem for all the archers?

Seems like Susntriders and Windweavers shoot every 2,5 seconds instead of the 3 and 2 seconds mentioned in AllBFCards. Thanks for mentioning it, I've fixed it.

2 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

whahaha, commandos says: shoots every second for 11 damage. That would be 6x11=66 each second, so 1320 in 20 sec. That must be wrong.

The 'shoots every second for 11 damage" part is correct, I checked ingame...

I read through it and I found a minor inaccuracy that could make it confusing for new players. Upgrading a card consists of two separate components.

Upgrading the actual card which makes the card better(increase dmg, decrease power cost,etc) and upgrading the charges on a card.

In your guide you make it sound like you can't upgrade a card unless you charge upgrade a card which isn't true. It is indeed the other way around in that you can't charge a card before you upgrade the card. You can eg. Have a III upgraded card with no charges but not 3 charges with no upgrades.

p.s: just a side note, not really important, but I guess you want us to "bear with you" not "bare with you" ;)