Reset Win/loss ratio + ELO

MephistoRoss

What do you guys think of adding an option to reset your statistics (wins + losses + ELO) to 0?

I think many players made smurf/new accounts so they could start over with a fresh win/loss ratio once they got better at the game. Also players who want to experiment with new factions use smurf accounts so they wouldnt have to worry about screwing up their win/loss ratio. So by adding a reset button you could do the same without having to make a new account.

The only downside would be that you wouldnt be able to see if someone is an old or new player from his stats, but of course you couldnt see that either when someone is using a smurf account.

Please let me know what you think of this idea.

I don't like that idea.

Lot of people would just reset their ranks all the time to screw new/ worse players over and over again. That could ruin the experience of those player a lot. 

Just assume you are a new player and you get matched against full U3 decks in 4 out of 5 matches because you have bad luck. That's not fun at all...

First of all, we need to think about why exactly players create smurfs and in my opinion there is a lot more to it than just get shiny stats for many smurfs. I will give you a little list of what i think are the top reasons to smurf:

#1: stat/elo reset: many of the best players do want to get the number one spot with really nice stats to show off. however, this really only goes for those who seek the challange of preserving an amazing win/loss ratio. i doubt they create any account just to crush new players, it is really just about the challange for them.

#2: playing one deck only on smurf: now this one is a bit different from the first one. the way i see it, there are two major motivations for making a smurf for only one faction.

the first is that you are NOT playing on a simmilar elo when trying out a new deck. if you were to go into ranked with a new deck after a few sparrings, there would be many embarassing defeats. there might even be trash talk about how you are not as good as everyone thought you were. it even happens in sparrings. nobody likes being defeated by players you can typically win against and then hear them bragg about it later on. If you start with a smurf, nobody knows who you are and you can even ask "stupid" questions to experienced players and get advice without getting wierd responses because they regard you as the better player in general. Also you don't lose elo on your main account and drop in rank.

the second kind of players making a smurf for a specific deck do it because they want to know exactly how good they are with a specific fation. typically, they also don't hide their identity and typically chose names indicating the faction they are playing, such as "radi on fire" for instance.

#3: silly challange smurfs: i personally didn't see many of those around, but they exist. play tons of towers in pvp? play only starter decks? only tomes? sure thing you can do that and it typically results in some funny low elo plays/situations which you just don't have in high elo.

#4: stomping new players: this is typically true for players in lower elos who don't want to get frustrated by losing all the time. so they just go ahead and ruin the day of new players to make themselves feel better about themselves.

#5: comming back to the game after a break: this is a bit more of a high elo thing and also ties in with points made earlyer. you just don't want to see yourself failing and get laughed at. many players remember when they defeat "one of the big guys" and you just sort of lose your reputation. bfcards.info sure is full of stomp replays of you after you played poorly. just look at what happened with Flameworkz when he was rusty for the first 1-2 weeks after he came back.

looking at it this way, elo/rank reset might be nice for some of those players, but it's also abusable and does not help in those cases where you just want to play anonymously without having to think/worry about your performance/reputation. i don't have time to write a lot now, but i will make another post later on. i think the general idea about elo/rank reset is not too bad, but needs some tweaking.

I mostly agree with @LagOps points.

In my case I have to admit that I had several twink accounts and played on many friendaccounts for the simple reason of really hard flaming. In the end I more and more disliked playing ranked, because once you are in some way popular every single replay you lost on your main will be used as ego upload against you and so I used twinks to test funny stuff and in the end quit playing ranked with my main at all ( that's why you rarely see replays of me ;)

Even if my problems are more of a minority in the BF community I don't think that reseting your stats is of any use. I think the biggest thing in decreasing the amount of smurf accounts is set by harder access to BFP and upgrades in general so people won't be able to play competitive without investing a huge amount of time and lose interest in creating smurfs.

I think there should be win/loss ratio based on games played, for example, to two months ago. So if somebody had 40% ratio at start, but after year he improved and wins 60% of games, he will have more accurate ratio displayed. It's better than allowing reset, where player makes reset after single loss to have constant 100% win/loss ratio.

@Smok Actually, this is a very good idea for those who don't want to ruin their stats. while it won't stop smurfing, it at least removes some motivation to do so. However, rather than based on a time frame of two months, i would base statistics off of the recent 100 matches or so to get accurate data.

23 minutes ago, LagOps said:

@Smok Actually, this is a very good idea for those who don't want to ruin their stats. while it won't stop smurfing, it at least removes some motivation to do so. However, rather than based on a time frame of two months, i would base statistics off of the recent 100 matches or so to get accurate data.

that is indeed a very good option.

You could also do the 'reset' option, but with a few rules:

Resetting would cost a price (for example bfp, or gold, which will be untradeable, so you will have to work for it yourself)

Resetting is only possible once in a certain time (like once a month, or once every 250 pvp games or something)

Also there could be a system that your stats would visually reset, but you would still start playing on the same elo after the visual reset.

Or after a reset, the next 10 games your opponent will see a sign 'this player has recently reset his stats' thing.

Or all of the above xD

38 minutes ago, LagOps said:

I think this is a great idea. Both stats should be available (because games played is super important), but it won't stop smurfing.

I think the biggest reason for it, like you said, was that nobody wants to deal with the trash talk from noobs while you try out a new deck. Also, people won't play with you. Towards the end of Battleforge, when I was hovering around Legend/Hero, I wanted to try out a couple different decks. The only problem was that I wasn't that good with any deck besides my main (using kobold trick was so weird for me that I forgot to do it most of the time :)). I didn't want to get crushed by the people I normally play with, since I was probably playing below gold shield in terms of rank, so I tried to enter sparring grounds with players of that rank. Nobody wanted to play with me, because all they saw was my shiny ELO and they thought I would crush them with my normal deck. Of course, if and when they beat me, I'm sure they would brag for a while about how they beat a Hero and post my failure online. As annoying as that would be, I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I was good enough for them to know WHO I was, and brag specifically about beating ME.

Instead of a reset, I think we could add another feature to the game if possible, called "recent stats".

I took this idea from World of Tanks: all stats website have 2 parameters, ELO and Recent ELO (wich is made by stats only from past 30 days). This way, while ELO will change slowly, Recent ELO will change fast and will be more accurate.

15 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

What about a season reset like many competitive game does every year?

Actually that's a good idea, but we would need to have some sort of "placement matches" so that low elo games are not ruined by high ranked players with reset elo for too long.

For me a elo reset wouldnt change anything.

I mainly play on so many twinks/smurfs.

-Cause i want to see how i can perform on other decks. Only that i can perform on Stonekin, Pure Fire and Lost on a very high level doesnt mean i can play Bandits or Shadow-Nature anything near of that.

-Cause its not funny if you where a long time inactive and very rusty or played a Deck where you dont know the Combos (or forget cards)  and excatly this game would be uploadet, where you perform that much worse.

The only possibility I can think of is a statistic that show your performance with different Decks. And also that wouldnt change the problem that people will always judge you by your Name/Rank.

So I will probably create again tons of smurfs.

39 minutes ago, ImperatorSK said:

So I will probably create again tons of smurfs.

Just for my information, multiaccounting is forbidden, right?

40 minutes ago, ImperatorSK said:

-Cause i want to see how i can perform on other decks. Only that i can perform on Stonekin, Pure Fire and Lost on a very high level doesnt mean i can play Bandits or Shadow-Nature anything near of that.

-Cause its not funny if you where a long time inactive and very rusty or played a Deck where you dont know the Combos (or forget cards)  and excatly this game would be uploadet, where you perform that much worse.

If you only care about the 'vision' others will get from you this whole 'problem' could be easily fixed by adding a option to play anonymously. So you would just get a random name, which will also change every game, so its nearly impossible to get recognized.

If you care about playing on the right ELO niveau because you switch decks much, than the anonymously PvP solution, would not really be a solution xD

7 minutes ago, Simigr said:

Let the team first to complete the game and we can see later what its better or not.

I don't think you need the game to be able to have this discussion because people will most likely not act differently on BFReborn when it comes to smurfing.

12 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Can someone confirm/deny that multi accounting is forbidden? Because I thought it was, but I often hear things about smurfs (on replays, as well as on the forum).

Assuming the Global Forum Rules are the rules for both ingame and forums, making multiple accounts is forbidden: "Duplicate accounts for any purpose whatsoever are considered to be an infringement of the rules." ( #8 Avoiding penalties ).

yeah it's in the rules, but let's be real: 90% of top pvp player will just smurf regardless. it got so confusing in high rank i had no idea who i was even playing against. there were even shared accounts where multiple players smurfed on. i was even unaware of other players smurfings and only recognized their voice when i went on ts to play 2v2 with them. i highly doubt it will be any different because of rules, players will smurf either way.

edit: are there even high rank players who never smurfed? did @MaranV smurf? other than him i am having trouble finding anyone who never smurfed (aside from myself i guess ;) )

27 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Can someone confirm/deny that multi accounting is forbidden? Because I thought it was, but I often hear things about smurfs (on replays, as well as on the forum).

According to InsaneHawk, multi-accounting in-game is allowed.

8 minutes ago, LagOps said:

yeah it's in the rules, but let's be real: 90% of top pvp player will just smurf regardless. it got so confusing in high rank i had no idea who i was even playing against. there were even shared accounts where multiple players smurfed on. i was even unaware of other players smurfings and only recognized their voice when i went on ts to play 2v2 with them. i highly doubt it will be any different because of rules, players will smurf either way.

edit: are there even high rank players who never smurfed? did @MaranV smurf? other than him i am having trouble finding anyone who never smurfed (aside from myself i guess ;) )

I never smurfed. I'm no MaranV though.

38 minutes ago, Ladadoos said:

Assuming the Global Forum Rules are the rules for both ingame and forums, making multiple accounts is forbidden: "Duplicate accounts for any purpose whatsoever are considered to be an infringement of the rules." ( #8 Avoiding penalties ).

@MrXLink Maybe the list of staff members must be updated. Bolrader is not even in the list.

By the way, is there no IP-detector thingy that just deletes multi accounts? Or give an alert to a staff member who can decide to delete one of the two accounts or something?