The little things and advantages

Dodotron

I don't really know how to ask my question, but I'm currently looking at the replays on youtube on the bfreborn channel and the guy said it is best to attack the gate of a wall because it goes down the fastest. He also said it's better to take a certain well instead of an other on a certain map because it couldn't be attacked by frost mages.

Are there any other of these small things I should know to get an advantage in the game, mainly pvp? 

( sry if this is a dumb question or if this has been asked before. This is the first thread I create and I hope I did everything right)

Edit: this can be about everything, for example: some special strategies or combos between minions. I played the game a lot when I was young. I wasn't too competitive back then but now I  care more about the small things that can give me an advantage.

Edited by Dodotron

well... there are a few thinks:

first of all: your micro. if you micro your units good, half of the work is done. the other half would probably be your deck/strategy. So its important to know how to micro good and you can only do it good by practice.

another thing is for maps to know where fire dancers can 'cliff dance'. This way you will not be surprised and overreact/underestimate it.

it is also nice to know what are the strong parts en the weaknesses of certain decks, for example: pure fire has great M counters in T2, but also has a lot of M units in T2. 

Also practice to know what card to pull out when you try to counter something, so if you play pure fire and you see a night crawler, you immediately play a drake or enforcer to counter it (this is also situation dependent)

and just to make sure: i'm not a pro either, so things might work better or worse for you... 

There are plenty of little things on pretty much any map, PVP and PVE.

Either you ask some high lvl PVP player when the game comes up again to tell you all of those, cuz that is just way easier when you are ingame. You might be able to work out some things in advance by watching high lvl PVP-Replays and constantly asking what and why they do certain things.

I would have liked to give you a more detailed answer, however as i never was in PVP that much, i would probably leav out the majority of things and explain it wrong. 

Hoping someone else can help you better :)

I think I've watched all the replays on the bfreborn community youtube channel, but I think I can watch them again and pay more attention to details. Ty all for the answers, I won't be active in this thread and others for a week because I'm going to France. When i get back i might check out the tutors/apprentices thread :) 

Hello @Dodotron

The most important thing in PvP is for sure the knowledge about the current advantage/disadvantage status ingame.

Replays/Theory is very usefull, but only a little thing to get a better knowledge. Its better to analyse your own replays to figure out your own problems & mistakes.

You've to trade units efficiently &  to do the correct "move" ins the current situation. Thats the key about the game history.

PvP is mostly learning by doing. You'll get a feeling for the current game situation if you played enough matches.

After this, you know directly what to do in which situation to increase your advantage.

PvP Keys

Gameplay

- Micromanagement to trade efficiently

- Understandings of advantage/disadvantage

- What to do with any kind of advantage in which situation to increate it.

- How to provocate mistakes of your opponents to get any kind of advantage

Deck knowledges

- Knowledge about how to attack/defend with/without advantage/disadvantage with the deck ur playing.

- How to play against color XXX. Which combination of cards against XXX to get any kind of advantage/success

Best regards,

xHighTech

Edited by xHighTech

17 hours ago, Dodotron said:

I don't really know how to ask my question, but I'm currently looking at the replays on youtube on the bfreborn channel and the guy said it is best to attack the gate of a wall because it goes down the fastest. He also said it's better to take a certain well instead of an other on a certain map because it couldn't be attacked by frost mages.

Are there any other of these small things I should know to get an advantage in the game, mainly pvp? 

( sry if this is a dumb question or if this has been asked before. This is the first thread I create and I hope I did everything right)

Edit: this can be about everything, for example: some special strategies or combos between minions. I played the game a lot when I was young. I wasn't too competitive back then but now I  care more about the small things that can give me an advantage.

Yeah, there's lots of little things, but those really only separate ranks when you get past the gold shield ranks. What @xHighTech is saying is that "big-picture" knowledge and skill is much better than small micro moves. I completely agree with him (but that's not really your question, was it?). Yeah, you should play a whole bunch and by the time you understand the game fundamentals, you'll probably have picked up most of the small tricks.

That said, I am planning a video series when the game comes out. This will cover small "techs" that lead to small advantages. However, you have to be good enough to capitalize on gaining that small advantage first. Some of the things I plan to discuss are bodyblocking and killing S units, fake frenzy, charge and rage manipulation, etc. If you don't know what some of those are I can give you a brief explanation, and if you (or someone else) can think of other things to add to my list, I'll add it to my list.

5 hours ago, Dodotron said:

I think I've watched all the replays on the bfreborn community youtube channel, but I think I can watch them again and pay more attention to details. Ty all for the answers, I won't be active in this thread and others for a week because I'm going to France. When i get back i might check out the tutors/apprentices thread :) 

If you want more videos to watch (untill you can play the game yourself), I recommend @Eirias his video's on the community channel. Also, as you watched them all, Farrock is a great youtuber and explains a lot of situations in his replay videos.

Especially in PvP, nothing is better than playing it first hand to understand it. For me, one of the hardest part was the nervousness of playing. after playing for awhile, the nerve died little by little allowing me to understand the PvP game better. 

For me the most important thing was to have fun.

Having fun had the biggest impact on me. If i had no fun while playing, I would do poorly and also... what's the point?

Other than that - I suppose playing while hungry, sleepy or in a bad mood isn't a good idea. 

Game wise, for me, it was important to know my deck and possible combos and pay close attention to the map, as there is and never was fog of war - a huge strategic advantage for both players. Don't let the enemy overcome you with an unseen well in the corner of a map, as noticing it early may give you an offensive advantage quickly. 

My favourite strategy was to push hard on 2 bases at the same time. This way, it is possible to switch focus and make an enemy waste Power on spells and defensive units. 

Base switch early on was a very difficult thing for me to handle, as I was more of a T2 - T3 kind of a guy, T1 was my early side. 

And, one last thing. When in my lower ranks, I built a up-to-T4 deck. Don't. Do. It! For your own sake ;)

Good luck :)