Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

BEWARE: Multiaccounting May Cause Permabans! Read more... ×
Koxy

Card crafting/salvage system

Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see something like this in the game?

• Yes
    • No

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a crafting/salvage system in the game. I heard HS has something like this which I don't really know in details as I am not playing it.

How would it work in my opinion (obv. open for discussion, its just a suggestion)

- Cards would have a Value

• Determined by card type like Upgrade card/Creature card/Building card
  • Determined by card rarity - would work like a simple multiplier to the value (common *0,5, uncommon *1,0, rare *1,5, ultrarare *2,0 for example)

- You would be able to salvage ANY card, and it would give you it's value as a reagent
- You would be able to craft/forge ANY card, and it would cost it's value multiplied by a number like 3 or idk
- Reagent gathered from salvage must be account bound - If you want to buy reagent, then you need to buy/trade cards
- CRAFTED CARDS would be account bound by default, and you wouldn't be able to change this.
- There must be a limit of how much reagent you can store so you can't bank it for new cards (most expensive card value * 1.5 sounds reasonable for me)
- Possibility to craft DEMO cards, which is basically same as the card you want, but without any upgrades, gets consumed after using it for 1 battle (only usable on PVE maps), and costs 1/10 value of the original card

I feel like crafting/salvage system allows many additional features in the future and allows you to plan your deck/playstyle without any serious determination or chance to invest money into the wrong cards This is just a basic idea, but I am interested about dev and player thoughts about something like this. I think it would create a more casual friendly game which would fit most players in my opinion as it is common that players play other games as well which is completely fine I think.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a crafting/salvage system in the game. I heard HS has something like this which I don't really know in details as I am not playing it.

Hello Koxy,

The crafting system in Hearthstone works similar to what you suggested. Cards have different values based on rarity and give you "Dust" when they get broken down. I think it costs 4 times the dust you get from a card when you want to craft it.

- There must be a limit of how much reagent you can store so you can't bank it for new cards (most expensive card value * 1.5 sounds reasonable for me)

What prevents people from just stockpiling the cards and then break them down after they used the reagent for making freshly released cards in order to make even more of them?

I feel like crafting/salvage system allows many additional features in the future and allows you to plan your deck/playstyle without any serious determination or chance to invest money into the wrong cards This is just a basic idea, but I am interested about dev and player thoughts about something like this. I think it would create a more casual friendly game which would fit most players in my opinion as it is common that players play other games as well which is completely fine I think.

The reason why Hearthstone needs a crafting system is because you cannot trade cards. People have to work with what they get from boosters or are able to craft 1 card at the cost of 4 cards of the same rarity.

In Battleforge, you can trade cards so if you don't get what you want from a booster, you can trade whatever you got for the card you need. You can also use the auction house in the game to sell and buy cards either directly, or by bidding and hoping to win when the auction runs out. That way you can easily resell a card once you have tested it and decided you do not want it anymore. This is much easier, need a lot less investment and is more forgiving in case you acquire a card you eventually do not need, because you can always resell it on the auction house, usually coming out even. You might even make a small profit from time to time by flipping cards. Thats a lot cheaper than having to use 3 cards of one rarity to make another one, which is then only worth 1/3 of it's rarity when you decide you do not need and and break it down again.

However, the real argument for not implementing it in such a simple fashion is that different cards have different values regardless of their rarity. For some uncommon cards, the demand might be a lot higher than for others to their value shoots up and you can get more BFP by selling them on the AH but you also have to pay more if you want them. However, if people can just craft said card, the value will come down quickly, and in a lot of cases it doesn't cost a lot (because there are cards that are just not used often and that will get broken down without the feeling of loss to make a super good card).

Especially with people being unable to purchase cards or BFP for real money, market mechanics will play a vital role when the game gets released. So, I personally an not a fan of that suggestion, sorry.