Daily Card Discussion

Loptous

Spirit-Hunters_nature.jpg.412dd405373472Spirit-Hunters_shadow.jpg.6dae812dede248

AbilityIcon AutoCast Gifted Gifted Bow Attack

Affinity: Gifted
Every 2,5 seconds, unit fires arrows at enemies that deal 4 damage. The arrows are embittered with a strong toxic substance that severely poisons a targeted unit and slowly decreases its life points by 30 per second. Lasts for 10 seconds.

AbilityIcon AutoCast Tainted Tainted Bow Attack

Affinity: Tainted
Every 2,5 seconds, unit fires arrows at enemies that deal 4 damage. The arrows are embittered with a strong toxic substance that severely poisons a targeted unit and slowly decreases its life points by 20 per second. The damage dealt by this substance cannot be warded off with the help of damage reducing abilities because it is able to circumvent every buff or protective shield. Lasts for 10 seconds.

Upgrades:

Tainted

Spirit Hunters I Lifepoints+5x6

Spirit Hunters II Lifepoints+10x6

Spirit Hunters III Lifepoints+10x6

Gifted

Spirit Hunters ILifepoints+5x6

Spirit Hunters IILifepoints+10x6

Spirit Hunters IIILifepoints+10x6

My thoughts: I love this card! Tainted being able to bypass shields is always a great thing, especially Avatar of Frost. The green one I don't know so much about except that it does more damage for some reason I don't know. Could there perhaps be any synergy found within the green affinity, if so I would greatly appreciate it.

Earthkeeper_fire.jpg.10960d3972de01471acEarthkeeper_frost.jpg.3069ad697d95a582e4

Well sorry about the long delay, been on a Thanksgiving trip and whatnot.

AbilityIcon Activatable Infused Infused Backup

Activate to become immobile and absorb 50% of all damage done to the targeted friendly unit and allow it to deal 30% more damage. The absorbed damage is transferred to all own stonekin within a 40m radius of the target. The transferred damage can not be warded off by damage reducing abilities. Lasts for 30 seconds or until interrupted. Reusable every 30 seconds.

AbilityIcon Activatable Blessed Blessed Backup

Activate to become immobile and absorb all damage done to the targeted friendly unit. The absorbed damage is transferred to all own stonekin within a 40m radius of the target. The transferred damage can not be warded off by damage reducing abilities. Lasts for 30 seconds or until interrupted. Reusable every 30 seconds.

Upgrades:

Earthkeeper I Lifepoints+30

Earthkeeper II Lifepoints+60

Earthkeeper III Lifepoints+60

My Thoughts: This card seems weird in playstyle, but I will disregard that for now. As far as Stonekin decks go this could prove to be useful, I can imagine something around the likes of 1-2 Stone shards 1 Earthkeeper a good combo I would assume.

Blue seems to be the more valuable version, so maybe useful in PVE, its pretty hard though as you need one unit to be tanking everything. In that sense, it will work like a pseudo Unity spell for Stonekin, only every so often you need to disable it to move and then reenable again, which could become a real hassle at times.

Oh god. Another one of those faction M/M that somebody in the devs believed to be mandatory. Stonekin has Stoneshards to counter M, Stonekin has Stormsinger to counter M. Both very good cards as they are and Earthkeeper can... well, what does he exactly? Stonekin already has deck slot problems and all it will ever achieve is losing against frenzied Nightcrawlers or charging Enforcers.

There might be a far fetched strategy where it could potentially be used for a good combo but given A, the scarcity of deck slots and B, its mediocre stats I don't think we will ever find out in practice.

I might be wrong and another guy comes up and tells you why this card is a must have, but I highly doubt so.

Never saw it in PvP, doubt I ever will (in a game that is meta or to be taken seriously). The ability doesn't seem good, but if I had to choose, I would choose the Infused one on a big unit that doesn't really need the damage reduce that much, but could appreciate the damage bonus.

Also, in The Forge, I never noticed this card had a face :D

Nightshade-Plant_nature.jpg.6692efb2ed3eNightshade-Plant_shadow.jpg.f6a8214a662c

AbilityIcon Activatable Transformation

Power: Varies. Cost to transform into this unit: 221
- The unit is infected with the Twilight Curse and can be transformed into any other Twilight creature. Activate to start the mutant process and choose a Twilight unit from the current deck to be transformed into. The current deck must contain at least one other Twilight unit whose orb requirements are met!

AbilityIcon Passive Gifted Gifted Tendrils

Affinity: Gifted
- If the unit dies its many tendrils will cover the ground rooting every enemy unit in (a) 20m radius for 20 seconds.

AbilityIcon Passive Tainted Tainted Tendrils

Affinity: Tainted
- If the unit dies its many tendrils will poison the ground. Every enemy unit within a 20m radius will take 50 damage per second. Lasts for 20 seconds.

Upgrades:

Nightshade Plant I Damage +280
Nightshade Plant II Damage +500
Nightshade Plant III Damage +550

A fun card. I really have a slight bias for Twilight card adn while it certainly isn't among the best cards, I think it is a nice card that provides good threat saturation, even with Abomination being the clear number one T4 card in every Twilight deck.

For a long time I always thought this was among the weakest T4 cards, but with the upgrades it is not too shabby. And if you also calculate in that you can get this card at a 15% discount you get a very decent card. Naturally it is inferior in every aspect to Abomination, but that additional L-damage can really come in handy in several situations, especially against L-sized bosses. And Abomination actually has unfairly high stats.

Instead, if you compare it to a Bloodhorn you actually see that you get slightly more stats/power, but since Bloodhorn has Life-steal and stampede, it still has a noticable edge over Nightshade plant. But losing to Bloodhorn isn't bad either, since it is arguable a very close contender to Abomination in the XL/XL department.

I think it is good to have this card in a Twilight deck, just because if you play Twilight you are going for that Twilight theme and I think it is among the most beautiful cards that really help the immersion. You can totally have a valid deck and are not going to waste a lot of power if you save a slot for the card.

If I could do one change to this card, it would be the ability. As it is, it has a nice to have ability that comes into play when you don't think about it. Rather, I would like Nightshade plant to either have the Tendrils as an active ability, or as a passive-auto ability similar to Twilight creeper where the Nnightshade plant activates its ability all 12ish seconds when encountering enemy units (while making the ability weaker in one aspect to balance it out).

This would really enhance the card a lot, make it more interesting to play and simply make Twilight T4 just so much more fun.

There are arguments to be made where one says that you should instead take another Abomination, but I think you are losing some flexibility, as the damage output against L-creatures is still a lot higher than Abomination. And really, you only need so many units with Twilight, as you really need to have reserve to cast all the spells you have at your disposal. Twilight without spells is merely a half deck.

Oh look, its Mora the infected God...

I rarely played twilight, so i im not sure about this card. I just can say that (in my opinion) there are better options to pick.

Btw my mom used to call me a Nightshade Plant, cause was mostly gaming all night long and that i have no idea what that so called "sunlight" is. :)

Nightshade plant, the Swedish version of grimvine!

But, as @Mental Omega said, it is bad compared to Abomination. I also don't like the ability, cause a fire/nature deck has access to heals, so you should try to keep it alive... Even though more twilight units have an 'on death' ability, like slaver.

*Note: Nightshade plant is a forest kin destroyer, while Abomination is a beast destroyer. This can play a role in certain buffs and negative effects. In which I think forest kin are favorable over beasts.

Edited by SilenceKiller99

1 hour ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

*Note: Nightshade plant is a forest kin destroyer, while Abomination is a beast destroyer. This can play a role in certain buffs and negative effects. In which I think forest kin are favorable over beasts.

Those play a role?? I've never seen somebody discussing these descriptions. I've always thought they were some hints wich role a unit is supposed to play on the battlefield. But didn't think they affect anything. And lol at swedish grimvine

Edit: It just came to my mind that some units deal more damage to beasts or humans or similar buffs wich exist. But i still think forestkin destroyer or beast destroyer doesn't mean a thing because the buffs wich i ment are all mentioned in the card descriptions.

Edit2: Thinking about it a little more ,,beast destroyer'' probably doesn't mean that it's a destroyer of beasts but a beast that's good in destroying ...so that means this has an effect on the battlefield: you should start to counter abnomination with the red affinity of stone shards!

Edited by SunWu II.

whahaha lol, go stone shards!

Probably a slightly larger influence is amazon passive, get 50% increased heal for all forestkin. So if you combo it right and you had a amazon in T1 (which is possible, because of PvE), you can have larger heals.

This will not really occur in PvP, as combo's suck there and T4 generally is a bad idea.

(This has really small affects on the game overall, but I thought I just mention it...)

Alright, so I think I'd stop in for the next card discussion, witch is:

GetMediaData?id=57b76b511f73e816c7115706

• Gifted Femme Fatale
    Activate to create a stunning delusion: Twilight Hag will bewitch every male enemy within a 20m radius in such a way as to make him believe she was the most beautiful creature in the world. Affected enemies are forces to stare at her and are no longer able to fight nor can they be controlled by the player. Friendly male units within the area also enjoy the show and regnerate 30 life points per second. Lasts for 15 seconds or until interrupted. Reusable every 60 seconds.
  • Infused Femme Fatale
    Activate to create a stunning delusion: Twilight Hag will bewitch every male enemy within a 20m radius in such a way as to make him believe she was the most beautiful creature in the world. Affected enemies are forces to stare at her and are no longer able to fight nor can they be controlled by the player. Friendly male units within the area also enjoy the show and have 25% increased damage. Lasts for 15 seconds or until interrupted. Reusable every 60 seconds.
  • Upgrades
  • Level 1: +40 Lifepoints
  • Level 2: +75 Lifepoints
  • Level 3: +85 Livepoints

Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to make the outline as beautiful as it is usually done by Loptous :P

I should also probably mention that (as it was tradition with the devs of Phenomic) this card deals less damage than actually stated. It's real value is 760. But I suppose nobody who ever used this card was really bothered by that since it is the ability of the card and not the abysmal stats that make you consider using this unit.

I suppose not many people ever saw this unit, let alone play it outside the forge. I actually liked the card and used it a couple of times in a fun rPvE Twilight deck together with either Treefiend or Twilight Creeper. And I must say that the ability is extremely powerful. Almost all units you encounter are male and completely negating their attack is very powerful, most of all since the area of effect really is quite big.

But apart from some fancy Twilight builds for rpve9? Sadly, not very useful. Its stats are way too bad to actually use her in combat and while the ability is very strong it also costs A LOT of energy. The bad stats become more evident if you compare them to Rifle Cultists: 960 ATK / 810 DEF for 50e.

Nonetheless, if it is nothing serious I think this is a good card to have some fun and I really like its visuals as well as the way it plays in gameplay. Mass debuff/CC from a wicked infected hag is just too cool not to have.

If I were asked what to change, I would first increase the stats by a sizable level and then redo the ability, while leaving the mass-debuff/CC nature of the card. And as fun as the "affects males only" thing is, it has to go as it makes balancing unnecessarily difficult. 

Other opinions? :)

I bought one of the overprized samples from the AH when the amii edition wasn't released and later regretted it because i never picked it up to actually use it. You are the first one i hear of who tested the ability, what was the power cost? If it wasn't for the cost of it it could be almost as strong as timeless one. Reminds me of Rogans or knight of chaos ability but with a bonus.

1 hour ago, SunWu II. said:

I bought one of the overprized samples from the AH when the amii edition wasn't released and later regretted it because i never picked it up to actually use it. You are the first one i hear of who tested the ability, what was the power cost? If it wasn't for the cost of it it could be almost as strong as timeless one. Reminds me of Rogans or knight of chaos ability but with a bonus.

Yeah, that certainly wasn't worth the cost. If I remember correclty it was about 100 in power cost.

I think it was something between 85 and 115, can't remember exactly.

I think this card should be buffed. I mean... simply no fire-nature or twilight  player in PvP will every play two nature orbs... because its just to shitty.

It is worth to play fire T3 for gaintslayer, it is worth to play frost T3 for silverwindlancers, koboldtrick/shieldbuilding, and it is worth to play shadow T3 for banditlancers, soulhunter or ashbone...

But nobody will pick nature T3 with twilight/fire nature deck... nobody says 'lets go fire-nature-nature to play enlightment in 1vs1 pvp, or build a wheel of gifts...' maybe fathom lord makes it a bit better, but why wouldn't you just go fire and use gaintslayers?

Buffing this card (and maybe some others) might encourage players to go double nature

18 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

simply no fire-nature or twilight  player in PvP will every play two nature orbs...

I think HighTech did, @xHighTech correct me if i'm wrong, but i think he went for Virtuoso + Fathom Lord (wich is a nice XL counter in any T3). This or giantslayer + Brannoc were the most prominent fire/nature T3s. I don't remember anyone going for frost or shadow. Both versions lack an XL counter, Brannoc alone isn't reliable enough.

On 5-12-2016 at 7:11 PM, Mental Omega said:

If I remember correclty it was about 100 in power cost.

That is indeed correct. I haven't used this card much, so I can't really tell much about it but I feel like the 2 nature and 1 fire orb instead of 1 nature, 1 fire and 1 neutral orb also add ontop of the reasons to kinda avoid it. If you're not playing pure twilight there are, in my opinion, just better cards that require 2 nature orbs that could replace this unit. I haven't played much with T2-T3 Twilight units in general, to be honest.

3 hours ago, Ladadoos said:

That is indeed correct. I haven't used this card much, so I can't really tell much about it but I feel like the 2 nature and 1 fire orb instead of 1 nature, 1 fire and 1 neutral orb also add ontop of the reasons to kinda avoid it. If you're not playing pure twilight there are, in my opinion, just better cards that require 2 nature orbs that could replace this unit. I haven't played much with T2-T3 Twilight units in general, to be honest.

Which units are those exactly? In the unit department, you only get Fathom Lord and Razorleaf if you opt for 2 nature orbs and Razorleaf is only really effective in dedicated root decks. Sure you also get Enlightened to do some fancy stuff, but this card along with Giant slayers have already been talked about previously.

Sure, Fathom Lord is probably one of the best T3 cards but you are still somewhat more flexible with another fire orb (unity is great and Vulcan can also be of valid use). So, I think it would be more interesting for the unit to keep its orb requirements and improve it, as this would make the nature/nature/fire alternative more interesting.

The design of the card goes into the right direction and a good L counter is always great. On top of that there are almost no M-counters in T3. Couple that with a buff + CC/debuff that has a massive AOE and you really got a good card. Twilight Hag could become twisted version of Timeshifter Spirit with Twilight-esque abilities and I totally see that unit excel in that regard. But as mentioned, the unit would require a good buff with some strong tweaks to its ability this way or the other.

Btw: I just saw another bug on allcards: Sunken Temple is treated like a T3 fire/nature card. Please fix that.

Edited by Mental Omega

@Mental Omega I wasn't talking only about units, but I guess it depends on whether we're talking about PvP or PvE and it seems like you're talking about PvP when I am about PvE. Also, when I said that about 2 nature orbs, I meant that unless you already need to go 2 nature orbs because of cards like Wheel of Gifts, Enlightenment, Fathom Lord etc... it doesn't seem worth it to me to go 2 nature orbs and 1 fire just for the two 2 nature 1 fire orb creatures, Twilight hag and treefiend, since that eliminates a lot of other card options you could have played instead (talking about PvE).

3 hours ago, Mental Omega said:

Btw: I just saw another bug on allcards: Sunken Temple is treated like a T3 fire/nature card. Please fix that.

It was being treated as a T3 neutral,nature,nature card. Nonetheless, it's fixed. Thanks for mentioning it 

Next card for discussion: Mountaineer.

ARta92z.pngFfqduca.png

Bombard

• Every 4 seconds, unit hurls balls of ice that deal 170 - 220 damage to enemies in a 5m radius around its target, up to 260 - 330 in total. Knocks back small and medium units. Affects ground targets only. (not sure if WAD or not, splash also hits air targets)

Siege

• Deals 50% more damage against structures.

Glacial Shield

• Builds up a regenerating frosty barrier which absorbs up to 600 damage but will only regenerate while unit is not attacking.

I really like the design of this card. Sadly, along with similar type units like Bandit Gunner, the attack animation is a bit wonky. Due to this, it can be kind of hard to make good use of this card (although sometimes you get a random shield in return, which is nice). This is a pretty good card when support with life weaving or ravage. If an attack isn't going well, you can just bugger off and the shield will protect you.

Pretty good damage output against wells, and for some reason also hits an occasional drake that happens to be close to said well. The 150 power cost is quite high, and therefore it can usually only be used effectively when even, or ahead on power levels.

Edited by Chimerae

• fiki574 locked and unlocked this topic