Daily Card Discussion

Loptous

I never really liked it in rPVE.

It feels clunky and has a rather slow t3 clear - doesn't even feel fun for me. 

Shadow Phoenix is way more efficient. Shadow Mages have a better clearspeed and are more fun to play. Spell based combos are much more fun aswell, habe generally a slower cleartime though.

Simply not my type of unit. I think for any aspect you might want for t2 clearing there are greater options - except if you really want to use XL units.

Pure shadow's best offensive option against pure fire, pure nature, fire/nature, lost souls (if they don't carry lyrish knights), bandits and in mirrors, so a pretty useful card. I often heard the saying ,,first harvy wins in a pure shadow mirror''. But that's not always true because you first have to find a way to get around aura of corruption + netherwarp. Besides pure shadow itself it's probably pure nature and bandits that struggle the most with harvy. Not that pure fire has it easy, but wildfire really helps. Pure nature has to counter it without disenchant and ranged damage dealers and bandits has nothing close to a cc.

The ability was actually useful (to force a cc or deal damage) and for free, the only problem were the 4 or 5 seconds it took. That's why it was mostly used shortly before harvy's death. Normally every second of harvies lifespan should be used to hit the oponents well or orb.

Nice synergy with corpse explosion and netherwarp (to heal, dodge coldsnap or roots, simply save time or port over walls)

8 hours ago, Treim said:

It feels clunky

That's what i also felt was annoying/amusing about harvy - ,,you want me to slap the last 100 hp out that well ? Slow down, my lord, i will first take a walk around it and then slowly position myself perfectly to make it look cool!'' >dies

Mutating-Maniac_nature.jpg.aec8dde056ce0Mutating-Maniac_fire.jpg.45047e3c6f0387d

I like this card, except I could never fit it into a deck because there were better options for T3 imo. Obviously the red affinity is better because it prevents enemy an unit from being healed and buffed, pretty nice. I still have no idea why there are affinities that are better than one another, but that's just me thinking out loud.

What do you guys think?

Mutating Maniac was always one of my favourite units designwise, since I don´t always care for effectivity, I played alot with this card. I remember it kinda being useful on the Nightmareshard. And the poison cloud was just fun to use.

For PvP the ability and the transformation effect  were pretty much useless. Statwise its a worse fathomlord with a bit more dmg but missing the very valuable cc ability. Every deck that could have double nature orbs would not use the card.
To be playable in Fire Shadow it has to be a stronger option compared to Giantslayer. If you go for a big t3 you could use it to get a decent Xl counter. Giantslayer is perfect to apply pressure at multiple places and deal with a small amount of Xl threats. But since its hp pool is very low some Xls simply win against Giantslayers if decently supported. Problem is you might as well go Frost and use Grig/Shielddome and have a better setup to actually play a longer t3. So overall I dont think there is a use-case here.
Same for Fire Frost. Giantslayers for a small t3. Double Frost for the bigger one. Timeless one and probably sunreaver to semicounter Xl should be overall stronger than going nature t3.
Stonekin is better off with fahtom or timeless one. 
Shadow Nature Fire going for some kind of sandstorm t3 is probably the only deck where you might want to use it. Aoc root is decent but does not work as well against liveweaved xl units so if you want to mix sandstorm basenuke with something better than sunreaver/ashebone (/Brannoc) against Xl you might maybe use the card. Probably not but maybe.

There is no reason for the card to cost 140. 120 or 110 would be more in line. 

Coldsnap.jpg.4b62485658d63ca1ca88992ba9a

Another day, another card.

So I'm pretty sure I've seen this card almost all the time. Probably because how good it is, probably not as good as frost glyph in terms of cheapness though. I'm not so sure if a shatter ice combo would be of any use though in PVE.

This was a pretty good card when playing any frost splash in t2, unless youre relying on Shadow Phoenixes in Shadow Frost t2.

CC always has relevance in t3 and t4 as long as you are having ground presence, which is most of the time the case.

As already mentioned extremely good with Stone Warrior. Also has some nice synergy with Lost Wanderer, even though except me i saw noone using it.

@Loptous Not sure if it was used with Shatter Ice because i rarely saw 3 Frost Orbs and never played it myseld due to BFP shortage on my end. I'd guess its probably not used if you have a 4th orb of fire or Shadow, for Nature pure frost it might be viable. 

Also has some viability in speedruns, if facing multiple Windhunters at t3/t4 and you wanna be safe of killing the base. Especially used in 2 player rPVE- less in 1 Player rPVE(due to lack of deck slots).

Not very relevant in rPVE. Soulshatter is generally a better choice for killing units. Sandstorm is kinda okay to take out spawnbuildings, when using 2x Shadow or 2x Fire Frenetic Assault + Infect or Inferno are way better as they also have relevance in t4 as you will generally use Earthshaker to take care of spawnbuildings. 

If you run a rainbow deck Sandstorm can be an option, still not great though as you still have access to Earthshaker in t4. The only real reason to put it in is that otherwise you might lack damage spells otherwise. Still far from great. Soulshatter and Thunderstorm are kinda equal usefull in t4 when playing a rainbow deck. Soulshatter is generally greater in t3 though. Thunderstorm is equal.

Unless you want to use it for stylepoints there are at least equal options in every deck, unless you really want building destruction in t3

one of the most toxic cards in pvp. hardly has any counterplay at all and needs no skill to use. i got no idea what they were smoking when they thought this card would be a good addition to the game. at least they nerfed it enough, so hardly anyone uses it.

Shadow has many good options in t3 so it is generally not put in for the t4 clear but rather for the ability in later stages.

In rPVE speedruns it can be used in LSS decks as a situational card (when facing at least 2 high HP bosses - such as Commando Walker). As the ability has a high risk high reward nature calculating properly is key. Sadly LSS have a rather irregular damage output that can differ quite a lot if you do not move them properly. With a little bit of training it will definetly speed you up though. 

On Donnerstag, 15. September 2016 at 2:08 PM, LagOps said:

one of the most toxic cards in pvp. hardly has any counterplay at all and needs no skill to use. i got no idea what they were smoking when they thought this card would be a good addition to the game. at least they nerfed it enough, so hardly anyone uses it.

"Hardly anyone uses it". The nerf killed the card, hard. I am not saying that this card wasn't overpowered before, but what they did was making the AoE so darn small that it basicelly did not exist at all.

Which was especially stupid since basically everybody agreed on improving the purple affinity, (which had an AoC effect that also worked on structures). I remember using purple Sandstorm in my early games of rPVE and it was an extremely fun card to use. Overpriced, but a lot of fun. Especially fun if you got the void manipulation flowing.

Like a lot of T3 cards, I don't think this card should have ever be made splashable. Honestly, already making it fire/fire/shadow would have solved most of the issue given how common bandits are/were to begin with and how many times the game does not end in T2 already.

10 minutes ago, Loptous said:

Mauler.jpg.478566880b4b6c9f452294651066c

The last card of the week, I'll see you guys Sunday. During the meantime, you can pm me cards you'd want to see on here.

I like this card, it's a decent L counter but most importantly it's Slam ability just allowed you to stop certain units of your opponent in PvP, a notable one being Mounty. though I honestly haven't seen much of it in PvE. 

Anyway, I'm happy to see that In return to the forums and notice this thread has been brought back to life, nice!

I liked this card, and still do. His artwork just looks awesome, those huge elephant teeth things... :D

He is also quite useful in PvP, as he is splash nature... although, most of the time, there are better options. But sometimes he's just the card you need, for example with mounty, as EonBen already said, or maybe for fire stalkers and razorshard?!?

• fiki574 locked and unlocked this topic