Daily Card Discussion

Loptous

41 minutes ago, anonyme0273 said:

A fairly interesting card, not really "mainstream", but fun to use against someone who is still in T2 to knock around his units and an average good tank. Not really great, not really terrible... about average. In early T3, often XL units will be spawned to siege down bases or so, so L counters are fine against cards like Ashbones or other L armor type cards, but... not really sure worth the Power cost

Nope, this card is actually fairly essential in fire splashes (especially fire-nature). I agree that it's not very good, but it has solid stats and a solid ability. Since Sun Reaver got nerfed to oblivion, this is really the only L unit worth playing for Fire-Nature-Fire (other candidates include magma hurler, mutating maniac, thornbark, sun reaver, twilight creeper, and vulcan).

I would dearly love for something like mutating maniac to get buffed and replace virtuoso, but until then, it remains the best fire splash siege unit (I like giant slayers more because they're cheaper and have higher dps, but they die so easily.)

This card blew me away, if you know what I mean :P Ok, enough jokes.

I think that one of the main reason this card isn't that bad is because it just requires 1 fire orb, making it pretty effective when combined with cards from other factions. I barely used this card in PvE though, since it isn't special/useful enough in my opinion. Anyone had any very good uses for Virtuoso in PvE ?

The Fire pendant of Tremor I'd say. They got pretty comparable stats at U0 (don't checked for U3), they are both L/L and both got a building-destruction ability. The main difference is that Tremor is slow but also gets siege for it's normal unit which makes him a way superior basenuke. Tremor also got a better ability IMO as it's not cone-shaped but a circle (and 40% less power cost).

In PvE it is utterly outclassed by almost any other unit for the supposed role. For example: In a Fire splash Ashbone Pyro, Tremor, Razorleaf and Burrowers are better Siege units. Silverwind Lancers, Drones and Magma Hurler are better L counters. And there is a ton of better tanks. I'd only consider him as an L-counter in a deck that is played :shadoworb::shadoworb::fireorb: in that exact order but I probably won't be playing that much Shadow anyway for a long time.

IMO the card is usable in the current state and doesn't really need a change. If necessary a tiny buff could be applied. I'd either decrease the power cost by 5-10 power or increase his movement speed a little bit. Alternatives to that would be either decreasing power cost or cooldown of the ability but that would be harder to balance.

34 minutes ago, Kaliber84 said:

In PvE it is utterly outclassed by almost any other unit for the supposed role. For example: In a Fire splash Ashbone Pyro, Tremor, Razorleaf and Burrowers are better Siege units. Silverwind Lancers, Drones and Magma Hurler are better L counters. And there is a ton of better tanks. I'd only consider him as an L-counter in a deck that is played :shadoworb::shadoworb::fireorb: in that exact order but I probably won't be playing that much Shadow anyway for a long time.

It doesn't matter what unit you are using in that splash. you got Void Manipulation and access to Soulshatter, Frenetic Assault AND Infect. I would probably play that with Cultist Masters and those spells only.

50 minutes ago, youto000 said:

in PvE it is like boom brothers except cheaper and better but like boom brothers it is rarely used

Boom Brothers are actually cheaper. 100 power vs the 120 power you need for Virtuoso. The difference is that Boom Brothers need 4 orbs. I guess that's what you wanted to say.

IMO Boom Brothers are a great card as they deal insane XL damage for their power cost and are even tanky enough (especially at U3) to do so. In the few times I played a Fire splash in PvE and rPvE I enjoyed having them in my deck. The ability is great for clearing the small fry and takes a good chunk of health out of the bigger targets. So I'd consider them superior to Virtuoso in every way except for orbs. But that's just me.

Yeah it's pretty useless in PvE I guess.

I remember back in the old days when this card was so OP in PvP :D with one buff you could one hit multiple wells with the ability, luckily they fixed this... btw I just saw that the description on allcards still describes the old dmg of the ability.

I don't know why so many of you underrestimate that card? If I remember correctly it has 2200atk on u3 and is an L-counter. That's actually pretty strong and maybe one of the best L-counters in the game due to brute force. Everybody is just about basenuker's in T3 and no not every deck should be able to pull of a basenuker like grigori. Virtuoso is a very decent unit to have in PvP and maybe one of the best choices when looking for a L counter in firesplashes. Its ability can btw be pretty powerful because it has decent range and is able to dmg wellcluster plus orb.

So, since there has been no card for a few days I think I'm gonna do a card that has been requested a couple of times now.
Edit: Apparently I posted an outdated version of Gunner, the current version deals more damage. I adjusted the values.

Not that Gunner actually has 1280 on the card (and actually deals 1200 damage ingame).

latest?cb=20091011223305

Fire Affinity:

Outlaw Burst: Every 2 seconds, this unit uses its cannon to fire off a ball that deals 192 to enemies within a cone-shaped area, up to 288 in total. 25% of all damage dealt by this unit cannot be warded off.

Siege: Deals 100% more damage against structures (all bfcards and the bf wikia is wrong, the ingame description says this unit deals 100% siege additional damage to structures)

Shadow Affinity:

Tainted Burst: Every 2 seconds, this unit uses its cannon to fire off a ball that deals 192 to enemies within a cone-shaped area, up to 288 in total. 100% of all damage dealt by this unit cannot be warded off.

The shadow affinity has no siege

Against structures, I think this is the to-go unit when you are fire-shadow that beats Ashbone Pyro. From what I know @Lagops has some good in-depth knowledge about T3 siege units for fire-shadow and if I remember correctly it was his T3 siege unit of choice.

Unlike Ashbone Pyro it does not lose health and still has life-stealer it is much more user friendly which also allows play in pve. Speaking of which, I liked using Gunners as my main T3 unit in my (r)pve bandit decks. The damage might not be as high as other cards, but they melt away structures in an instant. Also, their knockback means that everything not L-sized will be pushed back constantly similar to Frost Mage.

Eventually, I did change it for Soulhunter just because Soulhunter is a pure beast and you get much more power for you money. Because honestly, with the power you need to create a sizeable Gunner army, you could afford 2 or even 3 Soulhunters and normally buffing just one will do the job just fine. More power invested is just unnecessary overkill.

However, this card really excels when you can take advantage of the 100% siege bonus, which is huge in pvp but... not that much in pve. Btw. this unit actually "only" deals 1200 damage, but I think that is nonetheless a solid attack value.

What is left to say is that I think it's a fun choice and at least for pve this is one of the cards which you need to take for style and its fun-aspects (the quotes are legendary, I advise every player to play with a Gunner at least once :D).

If I could make a change, I'd just make it like on allcards. 1280 damage, 50% siege damage. This will make the unit basically as strong as before against buildings but can also be used better as a soft-counter for creatures. So, you would basically end up with a Bandit version of the Magma Hurler.
Uh, nevermind. However, 50% siege for the purple affinity would be nice.

Edit: Corrected some things regarding the increased attack value.

Edited by Mental Omega

@Mental Omega gunner does less damage than stated on the card? is there even a single card that doesn't have bugged damage?

Anyways, i really love gunner and don't think a buff is needed for the red affinity. the purple affinity however needs more damage vs. buildings to be viable. it is just too weak compared to the red affinity.

Gunner is indeed my t3 siege units of choice since quite a while. it has more utility compared to ashbone pyro and doesn't get destroyed by cc as easyly as ashbone does. i did quite a lengthy post in the old forum about it because everyone just kept asking me for why i pick it over ashbone. I really think it's a great card which is just underrated.

1 hour ago, Ultrakool said:

@MentalOmega I'm confused.

n6v01xg.jpg

Interesting. Thank you for clearing that up.

I got the picture from the Bf Wiki which seems to be even more outdated than allCards. Curiously, allCards seemingly has the correct value but its description still features the old (wrong) values.

Apparently, Gunner must have received a buff during Renegade edition, something I was not aware of.

However, that explains why he is not as bad as I thought and explains why doing rpve with him worked so well xD

I'll correct my original post now

Edit: @Ultrakool could you please also give me the correct values for the upgrades? Thank you

Edit 2: Thanks again Ultrakool, at least the card upgrades seem to be correct (which I have from MrXLink's upgrade sheet). That gives him an effective atk value of 1400 on U3.

Edited by Mental Omega

3 hours ago, Mental Omega said:

Interesting. Thank you for clearing that up.

I got the picture from the Bf Wiki which seems to be even more outdated than allCards. Curiously, allCards seemingly has the correct value but its description still features the old (wrong) values.

Not only was the damage incorrect on both affinities, but the siege ability on gunner(fire) is 100% and not the 50% that was stated on AllBFCards. Both descriptions also didn't mention the fact that they knock back small and medium units. That being said, I've fixed both descriptions. Feel free to quote me next time anything's wrong with AllBFCards and thank you both for mentioning this bug :P 

Stone-Hurler_shadow.jpg.302130f3bc62c72fStone-Hurler_fire.jpg.62465d379596d6048a

Sorry for my tardiness for the last couple of days, I have been and are still sick with some respiratory thing.

I will try to keep this updated, but do not be alarmed if I do not upload these everyday, sorry for the inconvenience.  

Seems like an okey-ish tower. Riot retreats tower is the lowest damage dealing tower in T2, this one follows up with an awfully low damage. For the same power you could build a cannon tower, with more damage and more health. Cannon tower only knocks back S units though, while the infused version of stone hurler also knocks back M units. So its kind of a CC tower, like Make Shift tower in fire T1. 

The damage increase against humans is really strong, there are actually a fair amount of human cards in T2, that are often played in PvP. I will list a few: Amii Phantom, Bandit Spears, Defenders, Firedancer, Ghostspears, Gladiatrix, Knight of Chaos, Lyrisch Knight and Stormsinger.

3 hours ago, Loptous said:

Sorry for my tardiness for the last couple of days, I have been and are still sick with some respiratory thing.

I hope you feel better soon! :)

Edited by SilenceKiller99

Something that I once thought looked good on paper but is utterly useless in PvE. The only use is (as already mentioned) for CC and I'd rather use a spell for that than an immobile tower.

The biggest problem is the lack of damage of this thing for the power cost of 75. The purple affinity isn't really that good because the base damage isn't good enough to make it worth the power. In PvE you know what units you're gonna face but even on maps where I'd fight a good amount of human enemies it wasn't worth it. For some maps it's decent though where you have to defend (Insane God, Crusade).

I forgot if it's able to hit flying units but I think it might.

59 minutes ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Seems like an okey-ish tower. Riot retreats tower is the lowest damage dealing tower in T2, this one follows up with an awfully low damage.

Frost Crystal got less damage (but not less than Rioter's Retreat). :P

21 minutes ago, Kaliber84 said:

Something that I once thought looked good on paper but is utterly useless in PvE. The only use is (as already mentioned) for CC and I'd rather use a spell for that than an immobile tower.

The biggest problem is the lack of damage of this thing for the power cost of 75. The purple affinity isn't really that good because the base damage isn't good enough to make it worth the power. In PvE you know what units you're gonna face but even on maps where I'd fight a good amount of human enemies it wasn't worth it. For some maps it's decent though where you have to defend (Insane God, Crusade).

I forgot if it's able to hit flying units but I think it might.

Frost Crystal got less damage (but not less than Rioter's Retreat). :P

it is able to hit air units.

Not much to say about that card but that it is very mediocre.

Infect.jpg.d4bc7c490caff520514afb90c7f21

I am back and better than ever!

Let's make things ironic today.

So to myself, I find this more of a PVE card, that could be combined with soul shatter for some nice wave clear and then some pesky units to toy around with after.

I believe soul splicer and Overlord could have some impact on this card as well. The least I can say, is that the card is fun and I'd also like some info of how it could be used in PVP.

• fiki574 locked and unlocked this topic