Daily Card Discussion

Loptous

@Crystal fiend , i use them in the early stages of defense so they ensure that my supporting skyelfs wont die randomly however since it includes nature chances are you've enough heals already i guess this could be a decent shaman replacer for T2 but that's it. 4/10 makes my Micro-manage life easier

I agree that there is no need for it when you started with Nature and already got Shaman and light surge. When I talked about him I actually had Frost T1 in mind which benefits greatly imo.

Unholy Power and Liveweaving are not very effcient spells. Easily countered by cc or disenchant. The only noteable fraction missing this is pure fire and mountaineer is way stronger against pure Fire. Mountaineer is better with unholy than Reaver because you can apply it while fireing so you get some value out of it even if you get cced. 

Since shadow frost has access to DAs the s counter function of LR is only really needed against nature splashs. Pure nature is way too strong against L units.

Fire Nature does not use s units. Shadow Nature is a matchup where Reaver comes in handy for defense. Offensive Ng+Cc is too strong in most cases.

Stonekin would have been another usecase for LR but since the stormsingerbuff the matchup should result in a spamm of that unit and a meele one does not do well here.

Reaver does not help against any splitt attacks in stonekin. Its only kinda usefull against a mixed deathball.

For the crucial matchup pure Fire mountaineer was way better. Shadow Nature DA spam situations can make him usefull. Overall not worth the slot.

I mainly played Shadow Frost for a long time. I did not play Reaver in any deck focused on winning (after the nastynerf).

Hmm, yeah sounds reasonable. The times I remember playing against it was pre-nerf and pre nasty-nerf, so I think what I wrote was a bit out of date.

Your point about sacrificing units is pretty irrelevant for this card as it requires 2 shadow orbs anyways which means you definetly have access to void manipulation and offering. It does not really matter to offer a ton of units to this card. You are also wrong about the damage. You can feed a total amount of 8000 HP to the Alar of Chaos and 300% of that will be dealt as BONUS damage to the fix maximal 9000. So a total amount of 33000 damage is possible with a single bomb. That can go up to 600% at U3, resulting in a maximal damage of 57000 ;). I never built a deck around that card( probably will when this one gets finished) and can't really judge if thats enough damage making it worth the effort.

I mainly used this card in my Lost Souls deck to feed my Lost Spirit Ships(nature) with it bombs( yes they count as a building). If i remember correctly you needed one bomb to pretty much fill one LSS almost fully. That was without feeding any units to the Altar of Chaos. Generally i build 3 ships in the beginning, the last one simply ate the Altar of Chaos.

There is not a lot to add to this and I really think you can make it work if you want to.

Generally, this card almost looks like it was designed to be fed with Lost Soul Revenants. When messing around with it in the forge I noticed that you can sacrifice normal Lost Soul units AND their revenants. That's a serious pool of health you can gather relatively quickly. Lost Warlord looks like it would suit this role neatly and perfectly, but Spore Launcher with a Nature/Shadow deck could fit the bill nicely as well.

If I had ever made a lost-soul deck, I think I would have tried it out for sure, as it really adds some nice base-nuking abilities and that is something non-fire splashes lack in general.

I agree that there is no need for it when you started with Nature and already got Shaman and light surge. When I talked about him I actually had Frost T1 in mind which benefits greatly imo.

Hmm, yeah sounds reasonable. The times I remember playing against it was pre-nerf and pre nasty-nerf, so I think what I wrote was a bit out of date.

There is not a lot to add to this and I really think you can make it work if you want to.

Generally, this card almost looks like it was designed to be fed with Lost Soul Revenants. When messing around with it in the forge I noticed that you can sacrifice normal Lost Soul units AND their revenants. That's a serious pool of health you can gather relatively quickly. Lost Warlord looks like it would suit this role neatly and perfectly, but Spore Launcher with a Nature/Shadow deck could fit the bill nicely as well.

If I had ever made a lost-soul deck, I think I would have tried it out for sure, as it really adds some nice base-nuking abilities and that is something non-fire splashes lack in general.

do you think its superior to dark cultists though? Especially when considering you can dark cultist unholy power unholy hero?

do you think its superior to dark cultists though? Especially when considering you can dark cultist unholy power unholy hero?

rifle cultists ability is able to deal maximal damage of 3960 at U3. Even if you add Unholy Hero AND Unholy Power you will get to a maximum of 13860 damage. Thats barely enough to kill 2 bandit constructs. In comparison Altar of Chaos can deal 57000 damage which is 4 times as much. With the power for Altar of Chaos you could summon 5 rifle cultists, 1 of those can be buffed with Unholy Hero and Unholy Power, while you should be able to get a second one with at least Unholy Hero, rest of them has to stay unbuffed. That would result in a total amount of 37620 damage. So still below.

Some other non-damage reliant things:

• Both Strategies would be reliant on CC support for sure as the bombs or rifle cultists would get focussed down to easy.
  • Rifle cultists are more micro intense
  • Altar of Chaos is reliant on a ground presence( as far as i know you needed a ground presence to place the bomb, but i might be wrong about that one?)
  • The bomb counts as a building and thatfor can not be placed everywhere due to Collision radius
  • Altar of Chaos radius of the bomb is 25m
  • Rifle Cultists Grenade radius is 20m

I honestly think they are kinda even. I feel like Altar of Chaos might be more fun though as you will need way less clicks to destroy a base. I would pair both strategies with some damage spells for sure just for the clean up and i guess stronger bases might not be possible for these strategies. Especially rifle cultists will get problems to get enough damage in a reasonable time. You will probably need like 15 of them at that point, thats 1500 energy, even with some void manipulation( besides SoW probably) that is some serious amount. At the same time you would probably like 3-4 fully charged bombs for the majority of a base. I feellike Green Peace could do wonders in both of these strategies, i would probably even say that rifle cultists are relying on that due to their very low hp and s unit. The bombs do have some reasonable HP and can take some hits, so you could get away with oink and frenetic assault, at leasst most of the times.

I feel like both strategies can work but have some problems which should be possible to solve though.

Overall it depends on the map design which one is better:

Rifle cultists should be fine when there are very small bases( size not force) and all the units are clumbed up, so it is very easy to cc every or the vast majority of units. Also these type of deck should avoid maps that are build up so that you need to take huge ways to get to the next base. I would consider Portal Nexus a serious option for those maps though.

Altar of Chaos should do very well when bases are very huge and the units aren't clumbed up at all, so that you can place them just between them. Small bases should be fine for them too, as their range should be huge enough to destroy most of it even when placed just outside of the base. It should get problematic when bases are middle sized. and you are not able to place the bombs in the middle of the base nor you can reach the middle of it when placing bombs at the edge of them.

--> Personally i would prefer Altar of Chaos over Rifle Cultists, but it really seems to be up to personal preferences.

Treim already did a very nice comparison, but I think the two are very different approaches. Just like you need to have the right deck for Altar of Chaos, you need the right synergy with Rifle Cultists. I think Rifle Cultists give you more freedom in building your deck around them (only 1 shadow orb), but they also require a bit more work.

Altar of Chaos deals far more damage, can be placed almost everywhere on the map and has a considerably longer charge up time. Btw. you could also use Second Chance to charge it even faster. And if I am not mistaken I think that in fact, you don't need ground presence. But you would probably still want some ground presence to distract enemies from attacking the bomb or to place some CC.

Rifle Cultists, on the contrary, can be easily put out of your pocket everywhere on the map almost instantly due to their low power cost. Maybe add a Rallying Banner and you can quickly summon 4 or 5 cultists, each activating their bombs just after they spawned. Naturally, one being buffed with Unholy Hero. What is more, you could use motivate on them (50 power, lol who cares). They can be used behind a reasonable (not too big) T4 force to deal some devastating damage so your units can easily take care of the rest.

As you see, another point what they share is that none of the above can work alone. CC was suggested by Treim and Green Peace sounds like a very solid choice in that case. But I would consider using some Overlords, Lost Warlods, Bloodhorns (since you probably want SoW for void manipulation) or other good T4 units to give you some ground presence. Cultists/The Altar does the heavy lifting and then your cavalary moves in and takes the rest.

But that also depends on what you choose in the end.

Personally, I almost only exclusively played Bandit and with buffed Tortugun I never had the use of either of them, but when BFR launches want to make a second, more shadow-heavy or even pure-shadow deck and I find the thought of both cards dealing devastating damage very appealing, since Shadow lacks my beloved 24000 atk long range turtle of doom xD

I absolutely want to try both cards out, but I am a more dynamic and active player and find the additional flexability in buffed Cultists (not the mention the bound power you invest in the Altar) more appealing to be honest.

But I can easily see macro-oriented players who don't want to micro too much profiting more from Altar of Chaos, yes I mean you frost users :P

Oh yes it does need a rating.

First of all its cost-life ratio is garbage compared to other t1 units even within t1 fire making it surprisingly squishy.

With that all said however it's the only t1 large unit available , it deals a lot of damage if left unchecked(more than any other T1 cards) and its sunder ability can deal serious damage for relatively little power but the stats and cost makes it rather inefficient at battles and you need to get close-up to a building get sunderer working at its best which can be tricky.

To me this card is rather situational as it can secure early wins but to me this is a win-more card than anything.

4/10 Mainly because it's the only t1 L card in the game and it's exclusive to fire.

Edited by Kessler
Grammar correction, don't hit me pls

I like it! Me using bandit decks this card was one of the factors I had to put in on weather or not I start with fire or shadow on my bandit deck and I must agree that it worked way better in PvP for me then PvE my PvP Bandit deck I started with Fire mainly for this card but in PvE I don't use it that much so I would give it a 6/10 but that's just me.

Like wise sry for the Grammar.

6c87e2834a4b1dc7d50aff784e264211c28a539e.jpg

I too think that every card should have a poll, including Sunderer. Don't take it personally, but you are not really pro enough to make such judgements. It is a good card that can be easily countered with all the early T1 anti-L in the game. Not to mention units like Lightblade or Nightguard.

As already mentioned, the stats are sub-average. It are the combined facts that it is L and a siege unit that makes it stand out so much, but you can only really use it on certain occasions or to apply pressure on your enemy (but that comes at a high price). What is more, it is in fact an important Bandit T2 card, as the size of the unit scales very well with Shadow Buffs. Naturally, T1 units in T2 are not impressive... at all. But it gives Bandits T2 in pvp at least something.

pretty good with mines for rPVE, on the other hand though: what is bad with mines?

Coldsnap :P

Well, guess I am going to continue

latest?cb=20090910014655

Gifted Shatter Lance: Activate to release an elemental lance that deals 928 damage to all enemies in a 15m radius up to 1392 in total. Reuseable every 30 seconds.
Power Cost: 100

Blessed Shatter Lance: Same as above, but can only affect frozen units for 2320 up to 3480 damage.
Power Cost: 100

Gifted Strike: Enemies attacked by this unit will stay frozen 25% longer as usually. Lasts for 10 seconds.

Blessed Strike: Enemies attacked by this unit will stay paralyzed 30% longer as usually. Lasts for 10 seconds.

So, what do you say? Personally, I think it is among the most powerful, yet not op cards and just a cool card in T3.

It just brings so much to the table. You get a good, durable anti XL card, can the blessed affinity can really some really crippling damage to frozen units. And in a Stonekin deck, you really should not be short on supply with them. And most of all, you have very good stats for 120 power that is almost as good as Fathom Lord.

Opinions?

Edited by Mental Omega

I'm going to give each affinity a seperate rating.

The green affinity is rather bad and paralyze is rather uncommon , in pvp fathom lord and creeping paralysis are the common of form paralysis but including both fathom lord and stone warrior in a deck is rather inefficient due both of them fullfilling essentially the same role. Whereas fathom lord has a cheap single-target paralyse for 15 seconds, stonekin warrior has a rather expensive direct damage ability which is mediocore but it's aoe so yay?(ah wait it's up to 1392 , bleh). Well atleast it's not helpless against air units on its own.

5/10 dissapointing compared to alternatives but still solid regardless due to stats and the abiliy to fight back against air

The blue affinity on the otherhand is great because this card's ability can one-shot many other cards ,a fully upgraded stone warrior ability deals  2600 damage! Enough to one-shot every other T3 large unit and severely cripple the XL or even one shot in few cases. However paying 100 + for whatever you used to freeze the unit is a hefty cost just to get rid of one unit but the option is there and it's amazing for what it does.

8,5/10 Would one-shot deepcoil worms again.

Edited by Kessler
Grammar correction, don't hit me!
ImaginaryNumb3r likes this

The blue affinity on the otherhand is great because this card's ability can one-shot many other cards ,a fully upgraded stone warrior ability deals  2600 damage! Enough to one-shot every other T3 large unit and severely cripple the XL or even one shot in few cases. However paying 100 + for whatever you used to freeze the unit is a hefty cost just to get rid of one unit but the option is there and it's amazing for what it does.

I would take the blue just because of the ability to have the threat of one shoots weather or not you do it your opponent has to be thinking about it to and I would take not just in PvE but also PVP because of that. Having my opponent having to think of all the things that I am going todo or I haven't done yet I believe to be a big one up so I would give this card a 8/10 because you also have to think of the power cost as well.

I would use this card but I play Bandit and pure shadow. (:

8,5/10 Would one-shot deepcoil worms again.

You use the card in combination with timeless one so the freezing wasnt that expensive.

Very strong unit that made naturesplash in t3 for pure Frost or doublefrost for Stonekin viable.

Soo... what about Abomination?

latest?cb=20120905200023

Tainted Fury: Activate to release a furious roar that deals 840 damage to enemies within a 25m radius around the unit, up to 2520 in total. Every hostile unit within that area will be stunned and unable to follow the player's commands for 15 seconds. Reusable every 30 secons.
Power: 120

Blessed Fury: Activate to release a furious roar that deals 840 damage to enemies within a 25m radius around the unit, up to 2520 in total. Every hostile unit within that area will be stunned and unable to fight in close-combat for 15 seconds. Reusable every 30 secons.
Power: 120

Wow, what a beast. You pretty much get the best bang for your buck (6700 / 5550 on U3 for mere 220 power) out of the house. I am really surprised that back in the day, I only saw relatively few Abominations being played, especially since Twilight is a very good and user friendly colour in the whole game.

The range of the ability is a bit too smal for my taste, but still it is a definite must have in a Twilight rpve deck, not only because it is such a good card, but also because it's the only T4 XL/XL Twilight has.

What are your experiences and opinions with/on this card?

Purple affintiy : No , its blows. no rating/10

Blue affinity : i fondly remember abominations roaring every 15 secs causing enemy melee units to withdraw or march into their deaths while the npc bosses were essentially alone. With that all said however it does have 2 red and 2 green requirement which can restrictive , no form of aoe besides it's roar but the ability expensive for damage alone and besides that the roar is rather situationall. Also it has little pvp relevance (No the purple affinity is still rubbish there). The stats a great for the cost making it a decent tank who can about everything but it still need support to achievement anything really. All in all it's an strong beater for a cheap price and 2 of them can essentially stun-lock melee units which is a great perk to have.

7,5/10 Would force npc bosses to fiight alone again.

Purple affintiy : No , its blows. no rating/10

Blue affinity : i fondly remember abominations roaring every 15 secs causing enemy melee units to withdraw or march into their deaths while the npc bosses were essentially alone. With that all said however it does have 2 red and 2 green requirement which can restrictive , no form of aoe besides it's roar but the ability expensive for damage alone and besides that the roar is rather situationall. Also it has little pvp relevance (No the purple affinity is still rubbish there). The stats a great for the cost making it a decent tank who can about everything but it still need support to achievement anything really. All in all it's an strong beater for a cheap price and 2 of them can essentially stun-lock melee units which is a great perk to have.

7,5/10 Would force npc bosses to fiight alone again.

Not a single t4 card is ever relevant in PVP

Not a single card is able to do anything without support

Imo this card was a very solid choice for a twilight deck. Stats were already discussed and i do not have anything add to that.

The Roar was very spamable due to the access to SoW and could clear out most bases easily with that. Add Twilight Pestilence and few heals to that and you will probably never die. And i didnt even mentioned the cc :P. On top of that you have access to cards like Cluster Explosion and Earthshaker which have quite some power on their own. Twilight had weaknesses in rPVE but it was definetly never its t4. With those cards you really do not need to be scared of post T4 fights even at lvl 10. Only problem which could get problematic is spellblocker thingies against Lost Souls. However most factions struggle against that.

Not a single t4 card is ever relevant in PVP

Not a single card is able to do anything without support

I should've corrected some of the stuff i was saying.

Indeed no t4 card is every relevant in pvp but some cases when you can get out a t4 like for fun games or you've some very cheesy strategy to get into t4, abominations aren't really the first choice in that case.

And indeed not a single card is able to do anything without support , i should've said that they are somewhat more reliant on support than some other cards like the grinder ánd overlords who can heal themselfs or the lost spirit ships who can clear out some of the smaller camps without much assistance.

Indeed no t4 card is every relevant in pvp but some cases when you can get out a t4 like for fun games or you've some very cheesy strategy to get into t4, abominations aren't really the first choice in that case.

And indeed not a single card is able to do anything without support , i should've said that they are somewhat more reliant on support than some other cards like the grinder ánd overlords who can heal themselfs or the lost spirit ships who can clear out some of the smaller camps without much assistance.

I don't really get why you would rate a card for their potential of cheesy strategies, thats like the criteria with the lowest relevance at least, more like a 'bonus'. I'd consider criterias such as Stats, Abilities, Usefullness for their faction, etc as much more relevant. Especially as i do not like comparing Cards from totally different factions with eachother, as their playstyle often is just way to different. Like why would you compare a Pure Fire with a Pure Frost card, thats just totally useless as their job is totally different.

Coming back to topic: Pretty sure Abomination was the best t4 unit you could use in Twilight T4 for ground presence.

I think overlords are pretty bad alone tbh. It is pretty much impossible with such low damage to get enough corpses to heal it up properly. Grinder well if you have a squad of them they wont die but will take literally forever to take down a base, a single grinder is pretty useless though. And I am pretty sure any base that an LSS can clear solo an abomination can do as well.

People consider LSS just as 'op' because of its orb requirements, low costs and you can just spam heals and they will probably never die. A single LSS however is probably one of the worst XL t4 cards in the game. They just get rekt by pretty much anything. That was actually the reason why speedrunning was much more challenging back in the days with Second Chance, but i am getting way to off topic.

Abomination already isn't a good choice for cheese because it requires 2 fire and 2 nature orbs, I hardly recall any cheese you could possibly make with those colours. The cheese strategies I am aware off include at least one shadow orb and are more of a "mix and match" thing. You can't really argue against the card in that way.

You also need to keep in mind the context of the card. Of course it won't do everything on it's own... but actually you do have excellent nature and fire cards at your disposal, so support really is no issue. I even think that the good support capabilities are only a further plus that speaks for taking this unit.

Cast Twilight Pestilence + Regrowth + Healing Gardens on an Abomination and the enemy will NEVER ever kill it (of course, unless a nasty debuffs affect the unit).

And on top you get some really potent card like Shrine of War or Cluster Explosion or Earth Shaker that you can mix in.

I don't really get why you would rate a card for their potential of cheesy strategies, thats like the criteria with the lowest relevance at least, more like a 'bonus'. I'd consider criterias such as Stats, Abilities, Usefullness for their faction, etc as much more relevant. Especially as i do not like comparing Cards from totally different factions with eachother, as their playstyle often is just way to different. Like why would you compare a Pure Fire with a Pure Frost card, thats just totally useless as their job is totally different.

Cheese , unorthodox , troll , unconventional , whatever the kids think is cool nowadays.

The way i see it , should one desire a strategy/deck which involves using t4 card(s) abominations are most likely not the most exciting of all choices considering the alternatives , it has qualities of it own but i do think that abomination is a hard seller in this case but i personally do add that to the rating (don't worry i won't go overboard with it.)

Coming back to topic: Pretty sure Abomination was the best t4 unit you could use in Twilight T4 for ground presence.

Considering the alternatives for T4 Twillight frontliners i suppose you're right although i do consider grimvine to be a valid contender

You also need to keep in mind the context of the card. Of course it won't do everything on it's own... but actually you do have excellent nature and fire cards at your disposal, so support really is no issue. I even think that the good support capabilities are only a further plus that speaks for taking this unit.

Cast Twilight Pestilence + Regrowth + Healing Gardens on an Abomination and the enemy will NEVER ever kill it (of course, unless a nasty debuffs affect the unit).

And on top you get some really potent card like Shrine of War or Cluster Explosion or Earth Shaker that you can mix in.

I admit it was rather foolish of me to not consider any support at all from the associated colors , very well i concede to that point.

Edited by Kessler

Soo... what about Abomination?

latest?cb=20120905200023

What are your experiences and opinions with/on this card?

Not Bandit but I did like using twilight from time to lore was good too. but back to this card I liked it the U 3 was a beast and color was good to fire with heals lol but ya PvE was fun i saw a few of them PvE gods for boss fights and Just having fun with roar 8/10. 

This time I just chose a completely random card:

latest?cb=20100827171348

Tainted Construction: Creates a productive aura that reduces the necessary construction time of friendly buildings placed within a 20m radius by 25%. Additionally, every enemy unit within it will be weakened and deal 30% less damage against structures. Lasts for 20 seconds. Reusable every 30 seconds.

Blessed Construction: Creates a productive aura that reduces the necessary construction time of friendly buildings placed within a 20m radius by 25%. Additionally, every friendly building within it will be constantly repaired and restores 20 life points per second. Lasts for 20 seconds. Reusable every 30 seconds.

On U3 it has 90 power cost and speeds up construction time by 45%.

I can't say much about this card and I can't think of a structure heavy strategy that would really benefit from this card... but I also never played Frost.

On the one side I can imagine this card having some interesting potential but on the other side you probably won't use it in T3. And on T4 you have Kobol Inc. which allows for instant construction.

What are your opinions on this card and does anybody have some experience with it?
Hit or miss?

I feel like this card has the problem that it potential is so limited. Building up constructions itself is already a very limited niché itself, the orb requirements makes this one even harder. 2 Frost orbs is nothing a lot of splashes really have in t3. On top of that, if you already have 2 frost orbs in t3 you can just build a 3rd one and you have the better version of this card with Kobold Inc. as you mentioned.

Worldbreaker Guns (+ Skyelf Sage) in rPVE was a fun strategy, however you could just use Koboold Inc. for that, even though you would probably have to orbswitch if  you played it with shadow support as i did. That way youd get Overlords as a tank unit, void manipulation with Cultist Masters, Support spells( such as life weaving to keep the Overlord alive) and some nice cc( frenetic assault).

I guess you could have done the same things with Architects Call, however building the Worldbreakers would take more time.

Problem really is that it is t3 and requires 2 frost orbs. In combination with Kobold Inc. being much better and their requirements are kinda close + you very rarely need to build up constructions in t3 it is just way to situational to make this one pay out. Might be a bit better if the card gets 1 frost orb as requirement only, so more splashes have access to it. That way it would still be a card that is situational but at least it can play its role properly, by not being to close in requirements to a card that is overall just better.

Don't exactly have much to say about this card , like previous posters pointed out the window of opportunity of using this card is small in its current state due to kobold inc.

I did try to use both architect call and kobold inc(blue) but the results were rather anti-climatic to say the least and besides i barely used this card to begin with , even in strategies involving face-planting structures into your opponnents i've found that architect's call was either win-more or not helping at all.

Maybe maybe maybe i could use it somehow very specific situations which i can't currently think of , maybe maybe maybe i can do some funky stuff with it but so far i was unable to make proper use of this card.

1/10 , Buildings still get smashed with architect's call but atleast tried.

Edited by Kessler
Grammar correction, don't burn my house down!

After thinking about this card a little bit i could think of 2 strategies for rPVE where it might be usable( more or less).

1. Clearing T3 with Morklay Trap, Use the Architects Call to build up morklay traps quickly and use them to destroy the base.
  2. Use it in a deck based around Building and Earthern Gift, Use CC to get enough cc to Build up the buildings, Architects Call also functions as a debuff and repair spell in that case.

Pretty sure there are more possibilites, but thats what came to my mind after few minutes.

Edited by Treim

• fiki574 locked and unlocked this topic