Wish to contribute to the project by donating? Heads up to our Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/skylordsreborn

• Announcements

• Kiwi

Open Beta Information!   12/29/17

Open Beta will soon be upon us! Check out all you need to know here: https://goo.gl/nNr1qU
Loptous

Overpricing Good Cards

This might have been in a topic elsewhere, but I could not find one. Anyways, will the moderators and developers prevent certain cards from going overpriced? I remember back in the day a Shaman card was like 60, but then later as things went on some dude bought them all out and was trying to sell them for 200-400, under the same name for every auction. Also, other people would follow this similar thing like what this guy did and started racking up the prices for no damn reason, other than to make more BFPs. When the game is out, I hope someone can deal with this, because not only does it hurt newer players, but it can also hurt some more seasoned players just trying to get some dupes to make some upgrades. And since you cannot buy BFPs, the prices would most likely be more ridiculous than before, anyways that is what I fear. So please, I enjoy feedback tell me what should happen or that there is another post dedicated to this stuff.

Of course I understand good cards can be somewhat expensive, which is fine and everything, but for a good card that could not be too hard to get, I think players should at least pay a fair price for the card, such as Shaman, etc. I don't mind overly-priced promos or ultra-rares, because they are hard to get unlike the other ones. 

Edited by Loptous

I fink a limiter is possible so that you only can buy the same card until you got a stock of 10  like a stock/stack limiter

just an example 

They do this to earn BFPs, it's a risk they take. If you don't buy their goods you do not support them therefor they will not do it again as they see no profit in it. If you reduce the supply but the demand stays the same you can increase the price because you're either alone or you're very few with this supply but the amount of people that wants to buy the card stays the same therefor they're ready to pay more for it.

Edited by veryhasted

What you refere to is called : Flipping. Its a commonly used strategy in every game including an auction house. The user @PorousBoat made an entire topic about marketing strategys in the game , also including fliiping http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/1464-how-to-make-fair-trades-and-profit-guide/
Am I against the possibilitys of flipping? nope. If people manage to pull it off successfully , they earned themselves those sweet BFP.

This might have been in a topic elsewhere, but I could not find one. Anyways, will the moderators and developers prevent certain cards from going overpriced?

InsaneHawk has already said that all the cards except promo cards will be in the Auction House with set prices, meaning that overpricing will have no effect as members would simply buy the cheaper card.

Check his post: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/733-thoughts-about-the-auction-house/&do=findComment&comment=18801 

I fink a limiter is possible so that you only can buy the same card until you got a stock of 10  like a stock/stack limiter

I don't think this is a good idea/example since it would remove some of the freedom from a player and will increase multiaccounting. Besides, if a player is able to manipulate the market that much, I think he kind of deserved it. It's not like you weren't able to buy Shamans from chat.

InsaneHawk has already said that all the cards except promo cards will be in the Auction House with set prices, meaning that overpricing will have no effect as members would simply buy the cheaper card.

Check his post: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/733-thoughts-about-the-auction-house/&do=findComment&comment=18801 

I have a weak memory of someone saying that the cards on the AH with the set prices will only be there in the start and they don't know how long they will stay for.

I have no source on this as I don't know who said it nor if it even was said or if it was just a discussion in the chatbox :/

I don't think this is a good idea/example since it would remove some of the freedom from a player and will increase multiaccounting. Besides, if a player is able to manipulate the market that much, I think he kind of deserved it. It's not like you weren't able to buy Shamans from chat.

That statement refers to the beta. It may not be that way in the full release, or it may only be like that for only a little bit. I think the intention was to allow players to get cards from the start.

My personal opinion is that the AH should be whatever the people make of it. That's the point of a player-driven economy. And it adds fun and less fun aspects to the gameplay.

That's my perspective on it as a trader.

I like the idea of a free player held 'economy'. But I think that after a while some people will indeed start buying up all cards for profit. The question is if that is ok or not. For other early players it shouldn't matter that much. But for new players it might be anoying that they can't get cards for a reasonable price.

I think the market will have a whole different look since you can't buy BFP anymore, what person would waste most of their playing time trying to exploit cards when Battleforge has returned after 2 years in the dust? No one, I think many people will be playing and considering people won't be super rich to start out, I don't think overpricing will become a huge issue.

Thanks for the reply Ladadoos, I really like the idea of a set limit for prices! I've played some other games with marketplaces and some prices can rise way too much. In a game like Battleforge (reborn) this would really suck, since you might never get some cards you need for you deck :/

Edit: Imo the game is not about getting lots of money, by buying up the supply of certain cards. The point is to play the game, right? Which is much more enjoyable if you can get the cards you want :)

Edited by Dodotron

On 21-1-2016 at 3:00 PM, Dodotron said:

Edit: Imo the game is not about getting lots of money, by buying up the supply of certain cards. The point is to play the game, right? Which is much more enjoyable if you can get the cards you want :)

Some people play the game, just to collect all the cards or do the whole 'trading' thing. It would be no fun for them if the auction house would have so many rules/restrictions and stuff...

1 hour ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

Some people play the game, just to collect all the cards or do the whole 'trading' thing. It would be no fun for them if the auction house would have so many rules/restrictions and stuff...

That's true maybe they could make the set prices high enough. This way there would still be a window for high and low prices. Imo there should just be a max price so some prices can't go over the top, but a high enough maximum price still allows traders to do some stuff. This can also help players who go for a full collection i think.

1 minute ago, Dodotron said:

That's true maybe they could make the set prices high enough. This way there would still be a window for high and low prices. Imo there should just be a max price so some prices can't go over the top, but a high enough maximum price still allows traders to do some stuff. This can also help players who go for a full collection i think.

I understand why you would think that, but I do not agree with you. Because the 'lack of control' makes the opportunities for the trader/collecting people almost infinite. If there would be a cap on the price, that would kinda ruin the fun for them. Even though I do not play the game for trading/collecting, I still think it would be better if there is no limit of some sort.

Aye I understand your point of view too, I just have some kind of fear I got from other games I've played I think :/ I think you might be right about not having a maximum. If most of the players don't want a maximum price, there shouldn't be one.

On 22.1.2016 at 11:41 PM, SilenceKiller99 said:

I think the trader's are a niche group. Feel free to prove me wrong.

On 23.1.2016 at 1:20 AM, Dodotron said:

This is right and afaik the way they currently plan to implement it. The maximum prices will be somehow oriented at the old prices from BF. Trading quite a bit myself during the old BF I'm completely fine with that. It prevents monopolies (which ruined the market for everyone else) and sets a standard for cards. The prices will be most likely quite a bit lower than the max price so there will be enough room for traders to compete and manipulate IMO.

On 23.1.2016 at 1:26 AM, SilenceKiller99 said:

I understand why you would think that, but I do not agree with you. Because the 'lack of control' makes the opportunities for the trader/collecting people almost infinite. If there would be a cap on the price, that would kinda ruin the fun for them. Even though I do not play the game for trading/collecting, I still think it would be better if there is no limit of some sort.

To be honest it doesn't matter if traders have fun or not. The game is not oriented towards them and it is far more important for the majority to have fun than for the niche group of traders. During the old BF it was a necessity to trade if you didn't buy BFP so I understand that at the time a completely free market was necessary. For BFR this won't be a necessity anymore as it already is completely F2P. Trading will be an option in the future and not a necessity. The limits won't prevent you from trading but they will ensure a certain kind of safety for players so that they don't get screwed when buying cards. IMO that's a good thing.

On 23.1.2016 at 9:58 AM, Dodotron said:

Aye I understand your point of view too, I just have some kind of fear I got from other games I've played I think :/ I think you might be right about not having a maximum. If most of the players don't want a maximum price, there shouldn't be one.

Yeah i agree with that. We would need a poll for that (maybe @MrXLink could be convinced to do a sticky poll?). I highly doubt that anywhere near the majority of players likes the idea of having no max price. But that's simply my assumption.

All very good points calliber. " This is right and afaik the way they currently plan to implement it. The maximum prices will be somehow oriented at the old prices from BF. Trading quite a bit myself during the old BF I'm completely fine with that. It prevents monopolies (which ruined the market for everyone else) and sets a standard for cards. The prices will be most likely quite a bit lower than the max price so there will be enough room for traders to compete and manipulate IMO. " For me this is exactly how it should be in a perfect situation. But yeah we should ask the other players for their opinion.

5 minutes ago, Kaliber84 said:

@Dodotron Thx. Btw you can quote someone by using the Quote sign below their post or you can manually enter a quote by pressing the " sign in the reply box.

I know but your post looked pretty long and I wasn't sure if I could quote parts of it (but I think I could) 

Just now, Dodotron said:

I know but your post looked pretty long and I wasn't sure if I could quote parts of it (but I think I could) 

You can also use the quote and delete the parts you don't want to adress.

The Auction Hall has always been the place for BF players to create a community-driven market. This is technically the alternative way of obtaining your cards. See it like this: the game's way of making you gain cards is basically through BFP, allowing you to buy boosters and hope to get the cards you want. This is the main way the game provides you with cards. The AH exists to allow for a transfer of cards between people, for the price they want. It creates a sort of supply/demand model. Sure, we'll try our best to give the AH a kickstart to set a sort of value for AH cards, but setting a maximum would be an unnecessary limiting factor. Overpricing cards mainly appears when cards are hard to obtain or are overpriced in the first place (think old promos, sneak-peak cards), and this is a natural market flow to be honest. If a special card gets released or added into the pool, of course it's going to be expensive due to the large demand and the limited supply. Considering almost all cards (including promos!) will be obtainable from the start, people have to consider whether their prices will make it worth it to complete tasks for and get them in boosters. It will therefore be less likely to have extremely overpriced cards, especially if there is a lot of competition in auctioning.

Since there will be less reason and less chances for people to overprice cards, I'd say let's wait and see what happens. The marketplace was always quite a fun way to trade cards which we should manipulate as little as possible. The free market of BF and its trading system is even amongst the reasons for some to actually play the game. I think we should keep the market free and don't restrict max bids. The BF economy will likely change a lot due to the new F2P model as well, so my suggestion is to wait and see. As for now I don't see the reason to add a maximum buyout or starting bid price.

So you only put cards into the AH once. Seems like I confused something there.

But I still don't like that there is no maximum price for cards. :( Especially in the beginning of the game I got screwed over a lot simply because I didn't know how the market behaved over time.
That's not something I want new players to have. I'm not saying to keep the card prices forcefully low, but there should be a maximum price for cards to prevent selling them for unreasonable prices.
This suggestion is simply a safety regulation and does not destroy the free market economy. If that maximum price is dynamic (e.g. 50% higher than the average price over the last month) it would even change with the card prices over time. I don't know if I was able to explain what I mean but hopefully you understand.

And I also still stand by what I said earlier and traders shouldn't be prioritized over the other players. Tbh I think any suggestion should be first evaluated from the point of the average player and only if it doesn't provide notable disadvantages to the normal gameplay it should be implemented. I see the max price suggestion as an advantage for the average player even though it might be a disadvantage for traders so I support it.