Setting up a Stream

anonyme0273

Greetings Skylords!

Many of you, as the Alpha is drawing closer and closer, are asking if there are going to be Streams, who is going to Stream, how often etc. etc.

I decided to let anyone set up an EASY and basic Twitch account with a working Stream using the OBS (Open Broadcast Software)

First, here are some links: 

Twitch - use this to set your channel, I believe all settings in there are clear, if not, ask down below 

OBS - use this to download software to your computer

The first thing you need to start Streaming is a working account (or access to an existing account) on Twitch. 

1.thumb.png.addf66bc2ba3433dd320f923becc

That should not really be a problem.

The next thing is to sync the OBS with the existing account. Every time you Stream, you need to have a Stream Key set in the OBS. The key can be found in the Dashboard when you hover over your profile in the Twitch site. Upon accesing the dashboard, you will see this

2.thumb.png.994f5844172dd484a9d657959d93

The key is essential, and should be kept private as long as you don't want someone else to be able to use your Stream channel (this is good when you have an open channel, where everyone from a certain group - for example Alpha members - can Stream). Other than that, KEEP YOUR KEY PRIVATE!

Now it is time to set OBS to work. First of all, you need to input the Stream Key that you just got. In OBS, go to Settings -> Broadcast settings. There, you will see this

3.thumb.png.3f852c7968fc8663252eeda5cf97

Now, that your key is bounded to your OBS, when all is set up, you should be able to Stream directly to your channel on Twitch

However, you first need to set what do you want to Stream and how. For that, you need to create a "Scene". Each Scene has its sources (games, windows, monitors, texts or just images). We will get to that in a second.

Let's say that I have no Scene created yet. I don't want to erase my existing Scenes, so I will create a new one. Ignore the others

4.thumb.png.b95c587a3b5bbd608af35dd49e34

Now, we have a blank Scene with no Sources. Sources are individual layers of the final Stream that we will now create in order to choose what will be broadcasted and how these layers will be layed on top of each other. Every Source can be turned off during the Stream as well - for example if I created a countdown, I can !MANUALLY! make it dissapear in the middle of Streaming because it disturbs the viewers.

5.thumb.png.d69b392194b1cca368f65fc96c87

Every Source is set up differently. Every Source can be re-set, moved, deleted or its layer can be switched during live Streaming. Before I get into details, I will briefly explain what each Source is good for:

Window Capture - choose a single (active at the moment) program running. That program will be Streamed - example - in my Drawing test, I chose Inkscape to be Streamed

Monitor Capture- the whole monitor will be Streamed. the only difference that may be is the positioning of layers (will get to that soon). Does not work for fullscreen games

Image - not much needed to say... an image being Streamed - can be used for HUDs or decorations

Image slideshow - much like a Power Point presentation, works the same, images are chosen from a folder or individually one by one

Text - very usefull, can be edited in the middle of the Stream, can be changing, can be chosen from an existing UTF8 compatible file

Video Capture Device - a box containing of anything that your preset Webcam records

Game Capture - works well with fullscreened applications, mostly games

That is all the Sources that can be used for every Scene, however, there is also something called Global Sources - I haven't used it much, but it works like a preset Source that will be included in every Scene from the beggining untill the end of a Stream

--------------------------

Gonna have to finish it there, it took me too long and I am going to sleep now. Will finish it on Friday :) 

In the meantime, submit any questions you have

Edited by anonyme0273

This is great! I was teaching myself this last weekend. Would have been nice to see it then :). Going into my guide navigator.

Can you go into detail about what to do for bitrate or what to do if you're having a problem encoding (I think because I'm on a laptop trying to process too much)?

Can you add on how to create a disclaimer?

Before I put it in the official text, here is a short tutorial - I can't provide SS, I am on my phone, so this is really difficult :D

Add  Source "Text" to your Scene

Name the layer

An edit window will pop up, where you set all the characteristics of the source

Write your text in the window on the bottom of the setting screen

Set Speed attribute to 75 - 125 (that is a good speed, you can test it and put any number there)

Apply

Done ;)

If it was unclear, PM me or just wait until I finish this tomorow with screenshots and details

Nice stream yesterdat m8 :D liked it a lot!

Thank you! :)

Good tutorial but I'd recommend to just follow Twitch their guides http://www.twitch.tv/broadcast. They go pretty in depth.

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software 

I see, that is really good and detailed...

However, I will finish my thread as if I never saw this and put a link to this at the end, if anything was unclear, people can read through the official manual :)

Before I put it in the official text, here is a short tutorial - I can't provide SS, I am on my phone, so this is really difficult :D

Add  Source "Text" to your Scene

Name the layer

An edit window will pop up, where you set all the characteristics of the source

Write your text in the window on the bottom of the setting screen

Set Speed attribute to 75 - 125 (that is a good speed, you can test it and put any number there)

Apply

Done ;)

If it was unclear, PM me or just wait until I finish this tomorow with screenshots and details

Thank you! :)

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software 

I see, that is really good and detailed...

However, I will finish my thread as if I never saw this and put a link to this at the end, if anything was unclear, people can read through the official manual :)

I'll try this at home and tell you if it worked. 

Greetings Skylords!

Many of you, as the Alpha is drawing closer and closer, are asking if there are going to be Streams, who is going to Stream, how often etc. etc.

I decided to let anyone set up an EASY and basic Twitch account with a working Stream using the OBS (Open Broadcast Software)

First, here are some links: 

Twitch - use this to set your channel, I believe all settings in there are clear, if not, ask down below 

OBS - use this to download software to your computer

The first thing you need to start Streaming is a working account (or access to an existing account) on Twitch. 

1.thumb.png.addf66bc2ba3433dd320f923becc

That should not really be a problem.

The next thing is to sync the OBS with the existing account. Every time you Stream, you need to have a Stream Key set in the OBS. The key can be found in the Dashboard when you hover over your profile in the Twitch site. Upon accesing the dashboard, you will see this

2.thumb.png.994f5844172dd484a9d657959d93

The key is essential, and should be kept private as long as you don't want someone else to be able to use your Stream channel (this is good when you have an open channel, where everyone from a certain group - for example Alpha members - can Stream). Other than that, KEEP YOUR KEY PRIVATE!

Now it is time to set OBS to work. First of all, you need to input the Stream Key that you just got. In OBS, go to Settings -> Broadcast settings. There, you will see this

3.thumb.png.3f852c7968fc8663252eeda5cf97

Now, that your key is bounded to your OBS, when all is set up, you should be able to Stream directly to your channel on Twitch

However, you first need to set what do you want to Stream and how. For that, you need to create a "Scene". Each Scene has its sources (games, windows, monitors, texts or just images). We will get to that in a second.

Let's say that I have no Scene created yet. I don't want to erase my existing Scenes, so I will create a new one. Ignore the others

4.thumb.png.b95c587a3b5bbd608af35dd49e34

Now, we have a blank Scene with no Sources. Sources are individual layers of the final Stream that we will now create in order to choose what will be broadcasted and how these layers will be layed on top of each other. Every Source can be turned off during the Stream as well - for example if I created a countdown, I can !MANUALLY! make it dissapear in the middle of Streaming because it disturbs the viewers.

5.thumb.png.d69b392194b1cca368f65fc96c87

Every Source is set up differently. Every Source can be re-set, moved, deleted or its layer can be switched during live Streaming. Before I get into details, I will briefly explain what each Source is good for:

Window Capture - choose a single (active at the moment) program running. That program will be Streamed - example - in my Drawing test, I chose Inkscape to be Streamed

Monitor Capture- the whole monitor will be Streamed. the only difference that may be is the positioning of layers (will get to that soon). Does not work for fullscreen games

Image - not much needed to say... an image being Streamed - can be used for HUDs or decorations

Image slideshow - much like a Power Point presentation, works the same, images are chosen from a folder or individually one by one

Text - very usefull, can be edited in the middle of the Stream, can be changing, can be chosen from an existing UTF8 compatible file

Video Capture Device - a box containing of anything that your preset Webcam records

Game Capture - works well with fullscreened applications, mostly games

That is all the Sources that can be used for every Scene, however, there is also something called Global Sources - I haven't used it much, but it works like a preset Source that will be included in every Scene from the beggining untill the end of a Stream

--------------------------

Gonna have to finish it there, it took me too long and I am going to sleep now. Will finish it on Friday :) 

In the meantime, submit any questions you have

Nice guide, maybe adding a scene switcher and Hotkeys for scene switcher tutorial would be great!