First Skylords Reborn community challenge!

Chimerae

After some thinking I have decided to unleash this community challenge upon you. True, this is early and all, but it will give you plenty of time to make up your masterplan! It is going to be Encounters with Twilight. I know this map has been chosen twice before on earlier community challenges, but this is the very first map of the game, allowing everyone to instantly start it (I know, I know, some of you will have played all the maps within a day). Since everyone will only have acces to the starting cards (+ maybe a booster or two), the only allowed cards will be the starting 'Play4Free' cards. On top of this the following challenges can be accepted in order to win as many points as possible. Note that some of these challenges may be nigh impossible, so you do not have to do them! The player with the most amount of points wins; time will be a tie breaker!

ULTIMATE CHALLENGE

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap. – 3500 points

Don’t use any cards that cost a 100 power or more, other than for completing a bonus challenge.

CHALLENGES

Guardians of the North. – 1500 points

Claim your second orb only using Northguards (do not spawn anything but Northguards until you started constructing the second orb).

Rage ‘n rip. – 1500

Claim your third orb only using either Rageclaws or Rippers (only for the actual assault on it; not for defending the second orb).

No creeping deaths. – 1500 points

None of your units may die from vile blood.

I don’t need no dragons! – 1500 points

Finish the map without using any dragon cards.

Come at me bro! – 1500 points

Use the Amii screaming Stone to lure the twilight, but do not use towers to defend against the wave of attackers.

Protect the weak. – 1500

None of the refugees must die.

Die with your boots on. – 1500 points

Your units may only die in battle, and may not be deleted at will.

BONUS CHALLENGES

An unholy, trembling construction. – 500 points

While building the fourth monument, slam the ground next to it with a tremor buffed with unholy power.

Master passion greed. – 500 points

Claim all gold chests within ten seconds.

Run to the hills! – 500 points

Have a swift unit run from the starting orb to the plateau of the fourth monument.

Altar of Sacrifice. – 1000 points

Sacrifice four mutating frenzies by using their deathwish ability once on all of them, on the plateau of the fourth monument. They must be standing close to the finished monument: one facing north, one facing west, one facing south and one facing east.

Symptom of the Universe. – 500 points

Shoot a dark grenade in the center of a regrowth spell with a squad of rifle cultists.

Breaking the Law. – 500 points

Have an Emberstrike take down a flying unit with its Fire Lance ability.

Stairway to Heaven / highway to hell? – 250 points

Build a Stone of Torment building in the middle of the plateau.

No pain no gain. – 250 points

Let a unit die of pain from a Stone of Torment.

Maximum possible amount of points: 16500

May the best skylord win!!

If you have an idea for a cool (bonus) challenge, comment here or send me a PM.

bobfrog also included a PvE opening tournament in his thead (http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/1085-opening-tournament/). So I recommend only to have one open PvE tournament at a time. But as a second tournament this could be nice.

I like your idea of using the total time of several maps, however I wouldnt use Defending Hope for it since everyone will make almost the same time there. Siege of Hope also had a fixed fastest time, but with only the starting cards it will be quite a challenge to make that time I guess.

Edited by MephistoRoss

Btw, what I also liked in the old Battleforge community challenges were the silly achievements like collect all gold chests, run around the a treasure wagon with three different units, dont use more than one spell, etc. It would be cool to include some of those again so that the goal would be to collect the most achievement points and that the time will be the tiebreaker. You could make the achievements so that they all are quite doable so that a fast time is still very important. 

I guess the fastest times will come from more experienced players, but then we all haven't played for a long time, so everyone is welcome! If there are at least 10 people going to join in this I will make a more sophisticated version, which will indeed include (potentially weird) objectives to gain points

I guess the fastest times will come from more experienced players, but then we all haven't played for a long time, so everyone is welcome! If there are at least 10 people going to join in this I will make a more sophisticated version, which will indeed include (potentially weird) objectives to gain points

Because I had an idea which is either very good or very bad. My idea is the following: What about you have 4 maps that people need to complete, but they are only able to use 1 of the 4 colors in each map ? ( Only starting cards of course ). Nature is probably the easiest one, although Shadow could be pretty hard. Players would have to think very carefully as to which of the 4 colors they want to use in each map. Basically: You have 4 maps and 4 colors, and you can only use 1 color in a map and you must use all 4 colors. Every player would therefore have 1 map with pure fire, 1 map with pure frost, 1 map with pure shadow and 1 map with pure nature.

What do you think ? Too difficult ?

Because I had an idea which is either very good or very bad. My idea is the following: What about you have 4 maps that people need to complete, but they are only able to use 1 of the 4 colors in each map ? ( Only starting cards of course ). Nature is probably the easiest one, although Shadow could be pretty hard. Players would have to think very carefully as to which of the 4 colors they want to use in each map. Basically: You have 4 maps and 4 colors, and you can only use 1 color in a map and you must use all 4 colors. Every player would therefore have 1 map with pure fire, 1 map with pure frost, 1 map with pure shadow and 1 map with pure nature.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but I'm really not sure if this is possible with the starting cards. I mean you will have very little cards to work with already, and now you have even less! It could of course be a very hard achievement to earn more points!

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but I'm really not sure if this is possible with the starting cards. I mean you will have very little cards to work with already, and now you have even less! It could of course be a very hard achievement to earn more points!

Hmmm, I just remembered that fire and shadow don't have T1 units so this idea wouldn't work, unless the  "starter cards only" restriction gets changed a bit.

restricting orbs is to much of a restriction. Noone will have enough cards for 4 colours that early in the game. On top of that it would highly handicap players that mainly play Lost Souls, Twilight or Bandits.

The Achievement restrictions on the map and banning out certain cards on maps is totally enough of restrictions.

To come back to the question on top: I think a lot of people will be interested in Community Challenges just like in the old BF, there just needs to be someone who creates such a challenge.

Yeah, that's probably impossible...you will have to get to t1 using fire bombs or stones of torment with fire or shadow, and you will run out of charges really fast...and you can maybe bring 8-10 cards in each deck?

Dragon restrictions? Do not approve. Gotta note the Nightwish reference though.

I'm joking. With regards to the community challenges... yes, I truly support their return. However, I have to agree with the point made that it is too early, especially considering the tournament that is already being set up (albeit supported by us or not). In order to make more variable and interesting challenges, I think it's better to wait until everyone has acquired some cards and decks, and they have the hang of the game again. I do approve of the concept as I have stated many times already (in chatbox and in a thread too as far as I can remember), as far as I'm concerned, I/we will be setting up a community challenge at some point early in the game's new lifetime. So look forward to that!

Dragon restrictions? Do not approve. Gotta note the Nightwish reference though.

I'm joking. With regards to the community challenges... yes, I truly support their return. However, I have to agree with the point made that it is too early, especially considering the tournament that is already being set up (albeit supported by us or not). In order to make more variable and interesting challenges, I think it's better to wait until everyone has acquired some cards and decks, and they have the hang of the game again. I do approve of the concept as I have stated many times already (in chatbox and in a thread too as far as I can remember), as far as I'm concerned, I/we will be setting up a community challenge at some point early in the game's new lifetime. So look forward to that!

Although i agree that the "best" challenges will come once people have set up accounts and began obtaining cards, i do think that there is quite the value in pointing out possible challenges pre-alpha as It allows interested users to voice their opinion on what could be fun/challenging and whatnot!

For example:  I'd be interested in seeing group challenges (with the reward being split among members) to cover maps such as Ascension. The challenge could be that for each map the players have to use only 1 element or creature "type" (example: insect like cards)... or within each map each player has to use a unique color and no cards may overlap..... This type of mechanics should force teamwork and innovative play style.  This is obviously a rough idea, but putting out the concept is what matters.. if no one voices their interest/opinions how will our fabulous devs going to know what will pique out interest? 

Claim your second orb only using Northguards (down spawn anything but Northguards until you started constructing the second orb). 

I...I...must say it... you wrote down instead of don't.

Nonetheless, those challenges look like a whole lot of fun. If I understood correctly, time is less important than completing the challenges, which I like. 

I thought of this challenge:   It's a trap!  - Have a Morklay trap have the final blow on the boss.

The way it seems right now, these are the the only deck options (colors) you have if you want to complete all the challenges. They are in order. You need Amii monument to be able to complete all the challenges.

:frostorb: :fireorb: :frostorb: :shadoworb: :natureorb:

:frostorb: :fireorb: :frostorb: :natureorb: :shadoworb:

:frostorb: :shadoworb: :frostorb: :natureorb: :fireorb:

:frostorb: :shadoworb: :frostorb: :fireorb: :natureorb:

Nevermind this deck thing, forgot mutating frenzy was 2 shadow orbs and that you could switch orbs.

Nonetheless, those challenges look like a whole lot of fun. If I understood correctly, time is less important than completing the challenges, which I like. 

I thought of this challenge:   It's a trap!  - Have a Morklay trap have the final blow on the boss.

The way it seems right now, these are the the only deck options (colors) you have if you want to complete all the challenges. They are in order. You need Amii monument to be able to complete all the challenges.

You forgot that mutating frenzy requires two shadow orbs. Also you might not need Amii monument (which isnt allowed anyway) if you switch orbs I guess. Or did I mis the achievement which doesnt allow that?

You forgot that mutating frenzy requires two shadow orbs. Also you might not need Amii monument (which isnt allowed anyway) if you switch orbs I guess. Or did I mis the achievement which doesnt allow that?

My bad, that's true. Mutating frenzy is indeed 2 shadow orbs and only starter cards, Play4Free, may be used. Oh yeah, he didn't mention anything about switching orbs, which I am assuming is allowed. In that case, there are way more options and I don't think I will post them all. Had nothing to do so I thought I would try that :P

Nonetheless, thanks for pointing it out.

Nevermind this deck thing, forgot mutating frenzy was 2 shadow orbs and that you could switch orbs.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. Indeed, orb switching is a possibility. I like that Morklay trap one, but the one in the P4F deck is giant bomb. Not sure how big that blast radius was.

Amii monument isn't in the P4F deck either, so cannot be used.

My bad, that's true. Mutating frenzy is indeed 2 shadow orbs and only starter cards, Play4Free, may be used. Oh yeah, he didn't mention anything about switching orbs, which I am assuming is allowed. In that case, there are way more options and I don't think I will post them all. Had nothing to do so I thought I would try that :P

Nonetheless, thanks for pointing it out.

Indeed, we shouldn't make too many restrictions, otherwise we will see all of the same kind of strategies. There are still a lot of different options now I think, which I like.

For example:  I'd be interested in seeing group challenges (with the reward being split among members) to cover maps such as Ascension. The challenge could be that for each map the players have to use only 1 element or creature "type" (example: insect like cards)... or within each map each player has to use a unique color and no cards may overlap..... This type of mechanics should force teamwork and innovative play style.  This is obviously a rough idea, but putting out the concept is what matters.. if no one voices their interest/opinions how will our fabulous devs going to know what will pique out interest? 

I like the way you are thinking and you are right that a challenge on a multiplayer map with the right achievements will force some innovative playstyle. In the past there was only one PvE multiplayer community challenge (as far as I know): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g52hVdIKqq4. However I think that a 12-player map is not a good option. It is way too hard to gather a team with so many players, let alone setting up a tactic with everyone. So once the game is fully up and running for a while, better first try some 2-player map challenges and maybe later try a 4-player map challenge if there are enough teams participating in the 2-player challenges. Maybe we can even build a custom map specially designed for a community challenge.

Amii monument isn't in the P4F deck either, so cannot be used.

I think you misread my post, I said that Amii monument is not allowed.

while i can see most of those achievements as somewhat 'understandable' and somewhat a challenge, i cant see any use in some others such as:

Symptom of the Universe. – 500 points

Shoot a dark grenade in the center of a regrowth spell with a squad of rifle cultists.

Achievements like that are slowing down the game drasitcally as its a lot of power getting used and basically you force people to play certain cards. Those wont really effect the result  of a challenge as pretty much everyone can complete it, noone can get an advantage out of it really and that way it wont effect the result of the challenge but just slows down the times. While thats somewhat fun for achievements like sending a swift unit from t1-t4 as it costs just very energy, 'wasting' 300 power is just to much. 

Also you should probably change some achievements that forces people to play a certain orb at a certain time, for example:

Guardians of the North. – 1500 points

Claim your second orb only using Northguards (do not spawn anything but Northguards until you started constructing the second orb).

You could easily change it up in something like:

Claim your second orb only using melee squad units( do not spawn anything but melee squad units until you started constructing the second orb).

That way you get much more variety and strategical freedom for the players without changing the basic idea of the achievement.

I also got a problem with the following achievement:

Rage ‘n rip. – 1500

Claim your third orb only using either Rageclaws or Rippers (only for the actual assault on it; not for defending the second orb).

The last part seems unprecise to me. when you are about to clear t3 and you get attacked there by the incomes in form of the squad, twilight priest thingies and the vileblood, does killing those with normal units as a defense, cause theyre not attacking your t2 yet but just attacking your rippers/rageclaws by clearing t3.

You need to be very precise in the achievements or there will appear problems after the tournament because people interpret the rules different.

Just some concerns and you might wanna overwork some of your suggestion achievements as i wont go to every single one explaining if i see problems( yes its just coz of lazyness)