Proposal: Rewards

MrXLink

2 minutes ago, Sylo said:

Maybe the way I thought of it was wrong. I thought you could only reroll once so if I get 3 quests per day, I can only reroll one of the three quests once only, thus no unlimited rerolling, but please correct me if I am wrong.

That'd indeed correct, I seem to have forgotten that while writing my first part so just ignore it, thanks. That being said, It doesn't change what I said in my secondd part though.

8 hours ago, Sylo said:

I guess they could make so it requires completing 3 matches instead of winning. I'm a PvE player myself and do not particularly enjoy PvP but completing 2-3 PvP matches is doable, winning them is another story.

At first I supported this idea. But after I think about it for a while, I do not anymore. I can already tell you what is gonna happen: people are just gonna start three PvP matches but never actually play or finish them. This results in a win for the opponent, who is happy, and a reward for the AFK'er, who is happy, but the winning opponent would get unfair matchmaking the next time.

@SilenceKiller99 Agreed. It defeats the whole purpose of the quests which is for players to really try the other mode. It takes away the incentive to win, and it's very hard to determine whether someone just gives up or if they really try to play it. 

I think rerolling is fair and only 1 refill per day is enough, also 25% less BFP might be an incentive enough to not reroll for some.

3 hours ago, SilenceKiller99 said:

At first I supported this idea. But after I think about it for a while, I do not anymore. I can already tell you what is gonna happen: people are just gonna start three PvP matches but never actually play or finish them. This results in a win for the opponent, who is happy, and a reward for the AFK'er, who is happy, but the winning opponent would get unfair matchmaking the next time.

As I was writing that I knew how it would end up. If they want to make winning a PvP match a quest then it should probably say 1 or 2 games tops. If they want to do it that way then rerolling a PvP quest to generic quest should not result in a penalty, especially if you can only reroll one quest. I don't see why penalizing is a good thing.

On 8/31/2015 at 5:32 AM, MrXLink said:

• Generic quests are quests that can be completed within any game mode, such as winning matches, playing matches, playing with friends, using tome decks, etc.
  • PvP quests can only be completed within the PvP section, such as playing on certain maps, playing 1v1/2v2, playing x amount of PvP matches, etc. Note that winning ranked PvP matches will not be a quest, as it will be too demanding to fulfil.
  • PvE quests can only be completed within the PvE section, such as playing on certain maps, completing certain levels of rPvE, playing maps with a set amount of players, playing at a certain difficulty, etc.

An example of a daily quest set would be:

• PvP: Play 2 2v2 PvP matches
  • PvE: Play a 12-player campaign map
  • Generic: Win a match using a tome deck

Reading the OP again, I realized it makes a distinction between winning/completing and playing. So if I understand this correctly, winning, so far, is not a requirement for completing quests except generic ones. If that is the case, then I don't mind reroll penalty. Someone would have to clarify the terms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15. 6. 2016 at 8:51 AM, Sylo said:

Reading the OP again, I realized it makes a distinction between winning/completing and playing. So if I understand this correctly, winning, so far, is not a requirement for completing quests except generic ones. If that is the case, then I don't mind reroll penalty. Someone would have to clarify the terms.

Imho, it should be to win the match. Otherwise, it would be just people starting the match, and then leaving/afking. Of course, if playing the 12-player campaign, for example, actually means playing and finishing it, then I dont think there is problem here. As for the reroll penalty, Im okay with that. You still get the possibility to change a quest, if you dont like it/cant finish it.

Also an idea (dont hurt me if its already been said/adressed somewhere else), how about having three regular daily quests and one hard one. The hard one would not be possible to reroll, and it would be, well, harder than the regular ones (thus giving more BFPs). Something like "Win Bad Harvest on expert using only frost cards" or "Win a match on set difficulty with cards of only common and uncommon rarity". You get the idea, hopefully.

1 hour ago, Nemoo SK said:

Imho, it should be to win the match. Otherwise, it would be just people starting the match, and then leaving/afking.

I mostly agree with you, although random disconnects or other things similar to that could seriously frustrate some people. I am certain that the developers won't just make it so you can join and leave instantly and finish the quest. And when it comes to AFK, I don't think there are many missions where you can savely AFK in the beginning without getting killed by incoming waves of enemies. 

Maybe @MrXLink could clarify what he exactly means with:

• PvP: Play 2 2v2 PvP matches

If he means just play for x amount of minutes and/or maybe detect if you've finished certain objectives in the map or if you actually need to complete the mission to receive the reward.

We'd have to see what's the best way of approaching that. If certain objectives are met or something in the liking of that, that would be great, and maybe we are able to do that. Including a set duration in order to complete the match might work as well, or a combination of the two. The best way to find out is to test what is possible, and for that we need map access...

It was probably used just as an example but I don't think forcing people to play Tome decks just because of the daily quests is fair. Other that that it seems alright. Maybe making more interactive quests would be cool like "build x amount of wells, destroy x amount of walls, open x chests, summon x amount 3 orb units, kill x amount units"

14 hours ago, DyonisX said:

It was probably used just as an example but I don't think forcing people to play Tome decks just because of the daily quests is fair.

I think you're assuming the old Tome system is in play. Before the Lost Souls update of BattleForge, Tomes were exclusive for BFP purchases. However, after this update, every player would get a free rental Tome Deck every 2 weeks if I remember correctly. This meant that everyone always has a free tome deck at hand, so I wouldn't see why we wouldn't encourage actually using that free tome deck.

18 hours ago, Ladadoos said:

I mostly agree with you, although random disconnects or other things similar to that could seriously frustrate some people. I am certain that the developers won't just make it so you can join and leave instantly and finish the quest. And when it comes to AFK, I don't think there are many missions where you can savely AFK in the beginning without getting killed by incoming waves of enemies. 

Well it's true, there is always the possiblity of random disconnects and such, but nobody can tell, if someone left intentionaly or simply crashed. While I definitely agree that it can (and will, when it happens) cause frustration, having to win match is still the best way in my humble opinion. It would also motivate all the players to try and win the game, though could also cause some griefing, I.E when one of the 4 players intentionally doesnt finish their objective, and such. But I doubt that would happen often, since everyone would want to complete those daily quests for the rewards.

4 hours ago, MrXLink said:

I think you're assuming the old Tome system is in play. Before the Lost Souls update of BattleForge, Tomes were exclusive for BFP purchases. However, after this update, every player would get a free rental Tome Deck every 2 weeks if I remember correctly. This meant that everyone always has a free tome deck at hand, so I wouldn't see why we wouldn't encourage actually using that free tome deck.

Oh then it's fine, I was assuming that the only way to get Tome decks was still only with BFP

• 1 month later...

As someone who hates Heathstone and PvP, I am none-too-pleased with this Hearthstonesque daily system proposal. It sounds like, at the time of this comment, the rewards system is still the absolute farthest thing from consciousness, but that just means more time for pre-feedback. In an absolutely ideal world? I'd love to see something like a list of five quests for each day, no more than two of any category, and you get your choice of three. And if the goal of having PvP be a requirement for maximum rewards is to get people to enjoy the fullest extent of the game? Why disallow quests that challenge you to play different ways? It could only help make a larger pool of quests, to stave off monotony and develop experience and skill.

Ultimately, as someone who plays excessively, a 25% penalty wouldn't matter, but it's still a disincentive to play the way I want to play. I know a lot of people think PvE-only players are just being whiny, but you can understand they are two entirely-different experiences: one that rewards learning, deck preparation and strategy, and one that rewards... strict meta-decking.

There are a lot of people who only play PvE, but there are also a lot of people who would like to play only PvP. It is not only you who will 'suffer' if you are kinda 'forced' to play the other thing.

Now I put suffer into apostrophes because you won't really suffer. You might even enjoy PvP once you get a bit more used to it and you are somewhat in the right ELO region. It will surprise you how much fun it can be if you reach that point.

I also put 'forced' between apostrophes because the rewards are most likely gonna be EXTRA rewards, which means you don't need them to play the game or to succeed at it. You could get them if you want, but you are nowhere enforced to get them if you don't want to. 

• 1 month later...

guys, we are bringing a game back, not building the perfect skinner box to keep everyone addicted. dayly quests are ok for me, but plz don't go too far.

the game itself is great and we don't need to "learn" from pokemon go. that game has no substance and only progression to keep you playing even if you don't enjoy it anymore (like many many other mobile "games").

our goal should be to make progress as enjoyable and fair for as many kinds of playertypes as possible instead.

we should also keep in mind, that bf got shut down due to crumbling player numbers.

more players mean its easyer to find matches / pvp will be more balanced. we are not that many people (yet).

we have no experience with creating games and its totaly fine to learn from big companies to build a stable playerbase. (though pkmngo did have some pretty bad desicions imo)

18 minutes ago, bobfrog said:

we should also keep in mind, that bf got shut down due to crumbling player numbers.

more players mean its easyer to find matches / pvp will be more balanced. we are not that many people (yet).

we have no experience with creating games and its totaly fine to learn from big companies to build a stable playerbase. (though pkmngo did have some pretty bad desicions imo)

If people get stuck to the game because of the daily quest, people will start the game and be anoyed because they feel kinda forced into doing the daily else they´ll be missing the 1 week bonus.

IF they were to do anything like this, they should do it similar to Pokemon TCG online with the login boni. Why? Because in that game, you don´t have to login 5 days straight in a row to get the boni. You have to login on 5 differnt days.

Keep in mind that daily login is just a bonus, main quests appear each day. The good thing is that the player can choose between three different quests (often with different reward). So PvP player could choose only PvP quests and PvE player could choose only PvE quests. (We are talking about Pokemon TCG example ofc)

Edited by Aazrl

• Zyna changed the title to Proposal: Rewards
  • Zyna unpinned this topic