Proposal: Rewards

MrXLink

hmm i actually have a suggestion regarding the possibility of multiple accounts cuz of the daily rewards.

1st things 1st i think all the possibilities to transfer or that kind of thing shall be 0 so that even if ppl use multiple acc they wont profit by transfering points to their main acc.

2nd thing i like the idea of daily quests but a 30min in-game reward would be good. that would also keep players ingame (afk or not).

Oh, @indubitablement brought up a good point. Do you think you could save up quests for up to a week? Or maybe you can hold 15 uncompleted quests, or something like that? This way people who are busy during the week can binge during the weekends without too much bfp sacrifice?

I'd like to have something similar as well for when you haven't got enough time or energy in order to complete all three daily quests. However this would promote multi-accounting, as you could just go through several of your secondary accounts over the weekend for a massive boost.

hmm i actually have a suggestion regarding the possibility of multiple accounts cuz of the daily rewards.

1st things 1st i think all the possibilities to transfer or that kind of thing shall be 0 so that even if ppl use multiple acc they wont profit by transfering points to their main acc.

1) I brought this up a couple of weeks ago. Almost all major CCGs do away with trading and transferring cards/rewards between players, but also to force people in using their real-life currency shop (which won't exist in BFR).

While it's a sure way to successfully negate multi-accounting, the BFR team was adamant that no major changes should be made to the core game mechanics that would overhaul the way BF works. XLink noted that the trading aspect is a highly important aspect of the game and must be kept.

Thank you MrXLink for the detailed description. 

Have you thought about some sort of level system for the quests, so that the quests become harder while you progress in the game (while the rewards stay the same)? The reason I am asking is that the PvE quests will either be very easy for veteran players or very hard for new players. For example with the quest 'Complete Bad Harvest', new players will only be able to complete it at standard (maybe advanced), while for veterans players completing any map on standard is super easy. So for example with a level system with three levels for each PvE quest you could make the quest complete bad harvest on any difficulty for new players, advanced or expert for players who are around for a while and only on expert for veterans. The same could be done with 'complete Battlegrounds quests' (any level, level 7 or higher, level 9 or higher for example). The server could determine which kind of player you are based on PvE experience or based on how many quests you have completed in the past. And of course some quests could still be the same for all levels (like play a map with a friend).

For PvP this is not really a problem as new players will be matched against new players and veterans will be matched against veterans (at least if we have enough players looking for match).

Multi accounters could of course just make a new account so they can always do the new player PvE quests, but I dont really see a problem with that. If they want to be lame, it is their choice I guess and they wont earn anything extra than without the level system.

Now I dont know what other PvE quests you have in mind and maybe you also have thought of many quests which are not necesarily more easy for veteran players than new players, but I would still would like to hear your take on this. 

Have you thought about some sort of level system for the quests, so that the quests become harder while you progress in the game (while the rewards stay the same)? The reason I am asking is that the PvE quests will either be very easy for veteran players or very hard for new players. For example with the quest 'Complete Bad Harvest', new players will only be able to complete it at standard (maybe advanced), while for veterans players completing any map on standard is super easy. So for example with a level system with three levels for each PvE quest you could make the quest complete bad harvest on any difficulty for new players, advanced or expert for players who are around for a while and only on expert for veterans. The same could be done with 'complete Battlegrounds quests' (any level, level 7 or higher, level 9 or higher for example). The server could determine which kind of player you are based on PvE experience or based on how many quests you have completed in the past. And of course some quests could still be the same for all levels (like play a map with a friend).

For PvP this is not really a problem as new players will be matched against new players and veterans will be matched against veterans (at least if we have enough players looking for match).

Multi accounters could of course just make a new account so they can always do the new player PvE quests, but I dont really see a problem with that. If they want to be lame, it is their choice I guess and they wont earn anything extra than without the level system.

Now I dont know what other PvE quests you have in mind and maybe you also have thought of many quests which are not necesarily more easy for veteran players than new players, but I would still would like to hear your take on this. 

This seems like it's more of a suggestion to make sure that players have the ability to ask for an extra difficult quest to insure for a more enjoyable gameplay for each player, since I think that there are quite a few players out there that like a bit of a challenge when playing the game. However, there are also people who take no risks, and prefer to be sure of their rewards. I like the suggestion in itself, but I don't know about the whole server determining what type of player someone is. How would you determine at what point a player should raise a level ? Generally speaking, completing x amount of quests or having x amount of XP would indeed make you a veteran, like you said,  but not everyone is the same. There would for sure be players that would be ready before the server determines they should have harder quests and therefore forcing the player to do quests that have become too easy for them. On the other hand, there would also be players who might get harder level quests too early, meaning that they are not prepared for them. Basically just insuring that they have an even harder time to obtain BFP/rewards, since the learning curve was already so steep, and therefore just ruining the enjoyment they get from the game.

I have a suggestion, but I'm doubting myself about it on whether it's a good one or not, I will suggest it anyways. What if a player is able to choose what type of quests he wants everyday ? So basically, everyday he loggs in he is able to choose Easy, Medium or Hard quests that only are for that day - the next day he would have to choose what difficulty he would want again. I bet it could get a bit annoying to have to select what type of quests you want, so I would also suggest adding an option where the player is able to choose what difficulty quests they want, and from there, everyday the difficulty will be the same as selected. Of course, the player would be able to change the difficulty anytime, but the quest difficulty would only get updated the next day.

Players are able to determine what type of difficulty they want themselves instead of being forced to do certain difficulty quests by the server, which insures a more enjoyable gameplay. ( This is is more or less the case with the current proposal for daily quests, since the server might give you a quest that is too difficult - this is the reason for your suggestion I believe, MephistoRoss) Like you said, this probably (hopefully) won't be necessary in PvP as new players will be matched agaisnt new players and veterans agaisnt veterans -  so this system would count for everything besides PvP. I would not suggest making it so that the higher the difficulty, the higher the rewards, since veterans would be able to earn BFP much faster. Perhaps increasing the rewards depending on difficulty could work, if the difference between rewards is very small. That being said, if this increasing rewards system depending on difficulty won't get implemented, then I would just suggest having all the rewards the same, like this everyone receives the same amount of rewards/chance to obtain certain rewards after completing a certain quest. That being said, I don't this reward system part matters too much, since there are already thought about adding a reward pool, in which the player receives a random reward from a reward pool after completing a quest ( The following has been said by @fiki574: random reward pool (everything has 10% chance): 25bfp, 250gold 1 rare card, 10bfp, 100gold, 1 uncommon card, 5bfp, 50 gold, 1 common card, nothing. Not that these rewards are still being discussed, nothing is final yet)

On the other hand, people could just keep doing Easy quests instead of Hard ones (since the rewards/reward pool/chance of getting a reward are the same) even though they are perfectly capable of doing Hard quests, but that would just ruin their own enjoyment and would just be a matter of time before they switched to higher difficulty to not get bored. 

Again, my suggestion is based on the fact that people like challenges and would want quests that match their skill to make it more enjoyable. The "standard" quests would be on Easy mode, and they would be able to select higher level difficulties.

I hope this wasn't too much information and that I was clear with what I meant. Feel free to ask any questions, as I would like to hear you guys' opinion.

I have a suggestion, but I'm doubting myself about it on whether it's a good one or not, I will suggest it anyways. What if a player is able to choose what type of quests he wants everyday ? So basically, everyday he loggs in he is able to choose Easy, Medium or Hard quests that only are for that day - the next day he would have to choose what difficulty he would want again. I bet it could get a bit annoying to have to select what type of quests you want, so I would also suggest adding an option where the player is able to choose what difficulty quests they want, and from there, everyday the difficulty will be the same as selected. Of course, the player would be able to change the difficulty anytime, but the quest difficulty would only get updated the next day.

I dont think an option to choose what type of quest someone wants is needed as without a level system a player can actually already make that choice. For example if the quest is 'Complete Bad Harvest', the player can already choose on which difficulty he will play it.  So the level system only makes sense if the Devs want to 'force' veterans to a higher difficulty (but I would understand if they would leave that freedom for the player to decide). 

I dont think an option to choose what type of quest someone wants is needed as without a level system a player can actually already make that choice. For example if the quest is 'Complete Bad Harvest', the player can already choose on which difficulty he will play it.  So the level system only makes sense if the Devs want to 'force' veterans to a higher difficulty (but I would understand if they would leave that freedom for the player to decide). 

That's what I more or less thought when I read your suggestion, got confused a bit, since your suggestion also forces veterans to a higher difficulty. Perhaps the quests might change a bit in itself when a higher level is selected. For example standard: "Complete Bad harvest on any difficulty" = Easy and then Medium and Hard quests would have certain restrictions, to make it a bit more challenging to complete. Maybe something like " Complete Bad harvest without ever passing 60 unit limit" = Expert, just a random example. But then again, there wouldn't be that many reasons to play on a harder difficulty without receiving more rewards for doing so.

My suggestion would be to have a cap of 3 active quests at a time. As said many people would have no time to play BF at a day, something that can happen to anyone BUT with the 3 q. cap each day will have a worth enabling the player to ''catch up'' the next day. Of course if all 3 quests are filled there will be only 1 reroll for the day the player logged in. Yes that would encourage multyaccounting as someone will stack up 3 quests then log in and do them all at once, still as we dont know for final how actual time a single quest can take we cant say if it will actually be worth it. Plus as mentioned multiaccounting cant be fully countered so you must decide how much is a ''lost'' day at BF worth.

@MrXLink

Maybe the score would only apply in unranked PvP rewards? In ranked that won't be a problem; just assume every player is active because their ELO drop from being inactive will be sufficient punishment. I'm pretty sure the score is also kept in PvE. Perhaps there should be a ratio of time spent to score (tuned to each map--maybe a lot of work) that would flag for idling. For instance I could surely beat a lvl 1 BG in 5 minutes, but maybe I want to idle for the last 8 minutes while I wait for time to increase. Doing this would increase my time, but not my score. So the trick would be to make a minimum score per minute [probably an exponential function like y=Ce^(rt)] such that it wouldn't flag you if you're actively using power and void power (such as if you're just bad), because your score would increase with your time.

It seems fairly easy in scope (to a me, a non-programmer), but perhaps I'm just overcomplicating things....

Though I appreciate the thought, there are two main reasons why score-based rewards should not be a thing.

Firstly, although yes, it will encourage people to actually play rather than idle, the score system is more easily manipulated, i.e. sit in base and spam units, or hacks for that matter. The difference between PvP and PvE power-wise would be too big (even between separate maps, we'd need a ratio for every single PvE map), and in ranked as you said there won't be any inactive people. That leaves only unranked PvP.

Secondly, time-based rewards are a more universal and secure way of distributing. After every match they would have to requeue. If they idle in a PvP match they won't gain a lot from it. They would have to pay attention to requeue continuously because matches last shortly because of either steamrolling or giving up prematurely. If possible, we'd be able to monitor when low amounts of power would be spent and thereby find out who is idling, and it's generally easier to report as well. 

In lol, the matchmaking system isn't random. Those who lose a lot of games play with those that have a similar win rate. If you have a ~50% win rate you will likely never see it.

I propose this system for the BFP reward. It's a more elaborate version of what I said earlier. "Earning BFP for completing a map."
(the numbers would preferably vary based on the average game time of a map(e.g. the BFP cap would be bigger in 2v2 than 1v1 as 2v2 tend to last longer.)):

• A minimum amount of BFP earned. So that short pvp game and speed running isn't penalised.
  • A linear increase in the BFP reward. So that longer games aren't penalised
  • A BFP cap depending on the average game time of said map. That way, you can't afk indefinitely and cash in a huge reward after the game.
  • A minimum time spent on the map to earn any BFP at all. That way, trading very quick win in pvp isn't possible.
  • Twice the BFP for winning. So that you can't earn too much BFP by afking in a map then leaving at the optimal time.
  • Maybe a small BFP boost that increase after each month(?) (example: twice the BFP for the first 10 win) for new player that start playing a few months after the game just re-launched so that they can keep up more easily with older player, but still get the same experience that older player had.

The pro would be:
Multi accounting isn't a viable way to earn BFP.
You aren't penalised for playing a lot during the weakend, but rarely during the week.
You can play whatever you want and still earn BFP!
You don't feel like you are "wasting time" when you are doing a map and know you won't earn BFP.

The con would be:
There will always be a fastest way to earn BFP.
BFP won't be a limited currency and will be grindable. (BFP would also be grindable with daylies only in a much less fun way.)

edit: the algorithm for BFP reward would look something like this:
BFP=10+(2*time)
time>4min
BFP cap = 70
*2 if it's a win

There may only be two drawbacks to this system, but the one that concerns me most is the fact that there will always be a fastest way to earn BFP. This will in the end result in a certain (probably PvE) map being flooded with players who want to earn the most BFP, like what happens in Passage to Darkness for gold. Now BFP is way more significant than gold within the game, and this will always be the case, therefore I would rather see a small amount of people idle to abuse the system rather than having a ton of players focus on playing that one certain map, taking them away from the other maps BF offers. This system would disencourage gameplay variety which is honestly something I really don't want to happen. The thought is appreciated though, and we might actually consider your suggestions to have a minimum time to earn rewards.

In addition, I'm also putting a cap on the maximum amount of time spend on a map to earn rewards. Especially if we are going to implement a softcap system for timed rewards, we should limit the rewards to 2h per match (=4 rewards). Most maps are done under 2 hours, and if a map takes longer it is not a huge disappointment to not gain that final amount of BFP and you might just want to start a short other map in order to obtain your maximum unmodified amount of BFP through that.

Oh, @indubitablement brought up a good point. Do you think you could save up quests for up to a week? Or maybe you can hold 15 uncompleted quests, or something like that? This way people who are busy during the week can binge during the weekends without too much bfp sacrifice?

My suggestion would be to have a cap of 3 active quests at a time. As said many people would have no time to play BF at a day, something that can happen to anyone BUT with the 3 q. cap each day will have a worth enabling the player to ''catch up'' the next day. Of course if all 3 quests are filled there will be only 1 reroll for the day the player logged in. Yes that would encourage multyaccounting as someone will stack up 3 quests then log in and do them all at once, still as we dont know for final how actual time a single quest can take we cant say if it will actually be worth it. Plus as mentioned multiaccounting cant be fully countered so you must decide how much is a ''lost'' day at BF worth.

I'm thinking of storing up to 9 quests (so 3 days) and making quests removable to waste the opportunity to gain BFP but to acquire an extra slot. That should work out fine enough for both of you. Rerolls only apply once on the day you login.

2nd thing i like the idea of daily quests but a 30min in-game reward would be good. that would also keep players ingame (afk or not).

As for your first point, it has already been pointed out that as a collectible card game, trading is of major importance. BFP is the main currency for trading and can't just be made account-bound. It would remove a huge and important aspect of the game.

Your second point is already planned and mentioned in the very first post. It's a combination of time-based rewards and quests.

Thank you MrXLink for the detailed description. 

This seems like it's more of a suggestion to make sure that players have the ability to ask for an extra difficult quest to insure for a more enjoyable gameplay for each player, since I think that there are quite a few players out there that like a bit of a challenge when playing the game. However, there are also people who take no risks, and prefer to be sure of their rewards. I like the suggestion in itself, but I don't know about the whole server determining what type of player someone is. How would you determine at what point a player should raise a level ? Generally speaking, completing x amount of quests or having x amount of XP would indeed make you a veteran, like you said,  but not everyone is the same. There would for sure be players that would be ready before the server determines they should have harder quests and therefore forcing the player to do quests that have become too easy for them. On the other hand, there would also be players who might get harder level quests too early, meaning that they are not prepared for them. Basically just insuring that they have an even harder time to obtain BFP/rewards, since the learning curve was already so steep, and therefore just ruining the enjoyment they get from the game.

Players are able to determine what type of difficulty they want themselves instead of being forced to do certain difficulty quests by the server, which insures a more enjoyable gameplay. ( This is is more or less the case with the current proposal for daily quests, since the server might give you a quest that is too difficult - this is the reason for your suggestion I believe, MephistoRoss) Like you said, this probably (hopefully) won't be necessary in PvP as new players will be matched agaisnt new players and veterans agaisnt veterans -  so this system would count for everything besides PvP. I would not suggest making it so that the higher the difficulty, the higher the rewards, since veterans would be able to earn BFP much faster. Perhaps increasing the rewards depending on difficulty could work, if the difference between rewards is very small. That being said, if this increasing rewards system depending on difficulty won't get implemented, then I would just suggest having all the rewards the same, like this everyone receives the same amount of rewards/chance to obtain certain rewards after completing a certain quest. That being said, I don't this reward system part matters too much, since there are already thought about adding a reward pool, in which the player receives a random reward from a reward pool after completing a quest ( The following has been said by @fiki574: random reward pool (everything has 10% chance): 25bfp, 250gold 1 rare card, 10bfp, 100gold, 1 uncommon card, 5bfp, 50 gold, 1 common card, nothing. Not that these rewards are still being discussed, nothing is final yet)

On the other hand, people could just keep doing Easy quests instead of Hard ones (since the rewards/reward pool/chance of getting a reward are the same) even though they are perfectly capable of doing Hard quests, but that would just ruin their own enjoyment and would just be a matter of time before they switched to higher difficulty to not get bored. 

Again, my suggestion is based on the fact that people like challenges and would want quests that match their skill to make it more enjoyable. The "standard" quests would be on Easy mode, and they would be able to select higher level difficulties.

I hope this wasn't too much information and that I was clear with what I meant. Feel free to ask any questions, as I would like to hear you guys' opinion.

That's what I more or less thought when I read your suggestion, got confused a bit, since your suggestion also forces veterans to a higher difficulty. Perhaps the quests might change a bit in itself when a higher level is selected. For example standard: "Complete Bad harvest on any difficulty" = Easy and then Medium and Hard quests would have certain restrictions, to make it a bit more challenging to complete. Maybe something like " Complete Bad harvest without ever passing 60 unit limit" = Expert, just a random example. But then again, there wouldn't be that many reasons to play on a harder difficulty without receiving more rewards for doing so.

Let me first of all mention that fiki's reward proposal is off the table, and the current reward system will most likely consist of BFP only.

Additionally, you are right about it being hard to determine whether players want the difficulty to be harder or not. We can't just go and generalise the community for veterans to always want a challenging quest, some may just want to have a relaxing or easy time earning their BFP, some will need more of a challenge. Card upgrades already require higher difficulty matches, but also have purchasing alternatives for those who can't handle or don't feel like the challenge. There is no evidence to definitively say that making the curve steeper and the rewards more hardcore the higher level the player is, is the right way to go. Therefore it is better to just leave the quests to be completed broadly, so that the player has the freedom to make the quest as challenging or as easy as they want it to be. I'd rather have more liberal, broad quests than quests that are interesting, complicated, and possibly a nuisance to more casual players of the game.

There is no need to develop mechanics that make the game force players a bit more to make earning rewards harder, if the player can have the responsibility for themselves to make it as easy or hard as possible.

Edited by MrXLink

There is no need to develop mechanics that make the game force players a bit more to make earning rewards harder, if the player can have the responsibility for themselves to make it as easy or hard as possible.

It's a rather fair point, but this answer surprises me, because of the answer you gave to my previous question (about forcing people to explore more features of the game), since here you opted to leave the responsibility to each player, but on the daily quest system itself you force them to, instead of leaving the decision to them. In my opinion, giving players the ability to force themselves (Yes I know, sounds a bit weird) to do more challenging strategies and playstyles also "may help to have them stick around or at the very least enjoy battleforge more." Having a system like the one I suggested or the one MephistoRoss suggested (or something similar) can server as a reminder or perhaps encourage the player to challenge himself and "experience other parts of the game that they might find interesting after all". Just like the daily quests system, you force people to play other parts of the game, which they might find interesting after all.

Also, thanks for clarifying that his reward proposal won't be used.

It's a rather fair point, but this answer surprises me, because of the answer you gave to my previous question (about forcing people to explore more features of the game), since here you opted to leave the responsibility to each player, but on the daily quest system itself you force them to, instead of leaving the decision to them. In my opinion, giving players the ability to force themselves (Yes I know, sounds a bit weird) to do more challenging strategies and playstyles also "may help to have them stick around or at the very least enjoy battleforge more." Having a system like the one I suggested or the one MephistoRoss suggested (or something similar) can server as a reminder or perhaps encourage the player to challenge himself and "experience other parts of the game that they might find interesting after all". Just like the daily quests system, you force people to play other parts of the game, which they might find interesting after all.

I agree this may sound self-contradictory, but the key difference is that difficulty has a huge negative impact on enjoyability when exceeded. If you force difficulty to become harder and harder, you will make existing features more challenging, whereas forcing to explore other game modes will introduce the player to more features, of which the challenge rating is in their hands (even ranked PvP). It is more of a drawback to be forced to play a game that you can't win because it exceeds your capabilities, rather than being forced to play another game mode you might enjoy less, but at least have a chance of winning at. Especially for PvE this is greatly in the player's hands, as for ranked PvP one would have to rely on ELO which should be trustworthy enough (exceptions noted, of course). 

In a nutshell: feature enforcement encourages variety within the player's capability, difficulty enforcement encourages challenge within the game's features, which might exceed the player's capability, which would end up being a more severe nuisance to the player.

Anything about the form they will return in? Is it the original tomes from the early BF or the rented ones that were available later?

Since we're implementing all core features in the form of the latest client, most likely the rented ones. Hopefully we can get the 1 free tome per 2 weeks system in too.

Ok so another ideea , i am not sure if it has been mentioned before but, as the internet is we will have some black sheep in our community , so we will have to deal with this . An idea would be rewarding exemplary players trough some kind of honor or rating system at the end of the matches .

Ok so another ideea , i am not sure if it has been mentioned before but, as the internet is we will have some black sheep in our community , so we will have to deal with this . An idea would be rewarding exemplary players trough some kind of honor or rating system at the end of the matches .

What do you mean by black sheep in our community? What would they do wrong that needs to be balanced by rewarding the "good"  players ? Not fully understanding what you mean.

What do you mean by black sheep in our community? What would they do wrong that needs to be balanced by rewarding the "good"  players ? Not fully understanding what you mean.

Ok so i am trying to say is there will be some people who will quit the game for i don't know.... a multitude of reasons and people who will swear and all all other things that will influence the outcome of the game and ultimately ruin the game for other players . So i said we should punish (wow that is a big word) the "baddies" and reward the ....... other peeps probably . hope i cleared the missunderstanding >.< 

Edited by TheGreenGuy

Ok so i am trying to that there will be some people how will quit the game for i don't know a multitude of reasons and people who will swear and all all other things that will influence the outcome of the game and ultimately ruin the game for other players . So i said we should punish (wow that is a big word) the "baddies" and reword the ....... other peeps probably . hope i cleared the missunderstanding >.< 

you can already report those players or just put them on your ignore list( if its about minor things). and i think thats basically enough.

Edited by Treim

Ok so i am trying to that there will be some people how will quit the game for i don't know a multitude of reasons and people who will swear and all all other things that will influence the outcome of the game and ultimately ruin the game for other players . So i said we should punish (wow that is a big word) the "baddies" and reword the ....... other peeps probably . hope i cleared the missunderstanding >.< 

Check this thread about penalizing players who leave during the matches - http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/867-leaver-buster/ 

You mean sort of a rep/karma system where players can be given a thumbs up or down depending on their general behaviour?

There is already function added by the BFR staff (similar to the original game's) that lets you report troublesome individuals.

You should give us 3 daily quests in the beginning but than change it to get 1 daily quest every day so not 3 everyday :). It would make it more balanced I think.

How would it make it more balanced ? One of the main reasons to have multiple quests is, besides making it a bit more easier to earn BFP, so that every player type gets a quest they like, I think. PvE quest is mainly for PvE players, PvP for PvP players, and generic ones for everyone. If you would only have PvP quests for example, all the PvE would not like it. Nonetheless, I would like to hear your opinion more detailed first.

• Zyna changed the title to Proposal: Rewards
  • MrXLink unfeatured this topic
  • Zyna unpinned this topic