Proposal: Rewards

MrXLink

Quote from the original post: " In order to give a little freedom in case a player doesn't like a quest, one quest can be re-rolled per day. This re-roll will result in the non-preferred quest to be exchanged for a random other quest from the Generic type, but will only net the player 75% of the BFP reward they would have been able to obtain by completing the original quest. " 

Is this not what you mean ?

If my memory serves me right, everyone will receive different quests, as said by Hawk in a Team Speak conversation. There were a few more members present during the conversation, so they can confirm this.

That was on the original post. Then I asked @MrXLink what he thought of the idea of rerolling for a standard quest, and he seemed positively inclined toward it. But it's not mentioned in the update, so I was wondering if he decided against it or if it was one of the details they were still ironing out.

That was on the original post. Then I asked @MrXLink what he thought of the idea of rerolling for a standard quest, and he seemed positively inclined toward it. But it's not mentioned in the update, so I was wondering if he decided against it or if it was one of the details they were still ironing out.

Ladadoos is correct, it is actually stated there.

I believe that he meant that you get the same quest everytime after re-rolling a quest, instead of getting a random quest from the Generic type. I'm a bit confused to be honest. Unless @Eirias means Generic with standard.

(...)This re-roll will result in the non-preferred quest to be exchanged for a random other quest from the Generic type, but will only net the player 75% of the BFP reward they would have been able to obtain by completing the original quest (...)

Edit: Hmmm, but @Eirias said: "Instead of rerolling a random quest, what if you reroll to CHOOSE a standard one? I'd propose the "standard" quest options would be "win 1 ranked match," "win 2 Battlegrounds matches level 5 or higher," or "complete any map on intermediate."

Nonetheless, I'm sure that this is a misunderstanding.

It didn't change, did it? Wasn't the previous proposal to allow a re-roll for a random generic quest? As opposed to re-rolling for a standard (always the same) quest?

I was just asking if the fact that it didn't change means you guys decided against it, and that seems to be the case.

Up to 9 quests will be allowed to stack up, so you could leave the game for 3 days and not miss out on any Daily Quest rewards. If there are any quests stacking up that you are not interested in as a player or can't seem to complete, you can remove this quest from the board, gaining no BFP whatsoever, and make more room for new quests.

In order to give a little freedom in case a player doesn't like a quest, one quest can be re-rolled per day. This re-roll will result in the non-preferred quest to be exchanged for a random other quest from the Generic type, but will only net the player 75% of the BFP reward they would have been able to obtain by completing the original quest.

So the quests can stack up but the amount of re-rolls doesn't? Is that correct?
And removing probably means that the quest won't be exchanged for another (like a re-roll would) I assume. It's not that difficult to understand but I want to make sure I got it right.
Well it's not a bad system. With the stacking it will be way better than before.

It didn't change, did it? Wasn't the previous proposal to allow a re-roll for a random generic quest? As opposed to re-rolling for a standard (always the same) quest?

I was just asking if the fact that it didn't change means you guys decided against it, and that seems to be the case.

I see your point now. To encourage variety of playstyle in general, this will not happen. Instead of the same quest over and over for re-rolls, a quest can be re-rolled to have it replaced with a generic quest, i.e. both completable within PvP and PvE.

So the quests can stack up but the amount of re-rolls doesn't? Is that correct?And removing probably means that the quest won't be exchanged for another (like a re-roll would) I assume. It's not that difficult to understand but I want to make sure I got it right.
Well it's not a bad system. With the stacking it will be way better than before.

You are correct, sir.

Hello Skylords,

when i was playing Battleforge long long time ago, i could play some maps(often the big 12player maps) not very often (to less players at the same time were interested in it).

I dont know where to post it, but is there a plan to get some rewards, if u play these rarely played maps? (like the reward-system in wow, if u get some rewards for playing as tank or healer)

I think it will be hard, to compare this with the daily system.

Best regards,

Nico aka Lohle

Hi everyone, great discussion going on!

I've been digging all the proposals so far, but there's one point I think has been overlooked. What about quests rewarding pre-made play? I know that LoL recently implemented a "Party bonus" which works by giving you an increased bonus for having a bigger pre-made party. A system like this promotes social interaction between players as well as throwing a bone to those who already play pre-made.

It could work by giving a bonus increasing in increments for every member of the current game that you're in a party with. Alternatively, there could be quests similar to "Play map X with 3 other players in your party" or similar. I personally prefer the former way of implementation

Although I see mostly upsides with this idea, there are some downsides as well. These mostly involve punishing players who play solo. To combat this I think quests such as these would offer a slightly higher reward in exchange for being free to re-roll.

I hope to see more great ideas!

/PorousBoat

Alternatively, there could be quests similar to "Play map X with 3 other players in your party" or similar. I personally prefer the former way of implementation

Although I see mostly upsides with this idea, there are some downsides as well. These mostly involve punishing players who play solo. To combat this I think quests such as these would offer a slightly higher reward in exchange for being free to re-roll.

I hope to see more great ideas!

/PorousBoat

This is the better option IMO. Giving quest to play in a group is better than boosting your end of game rewards by simply playing in a party. This would still keep solo gameplay relevant as players wont spend all the day playing in pre-made groups but just the limited ammount of the games they need to complete the quest.

What about quests rewarding pre-made play?

I'm sure a lot of people will like this idea as it's quite a popular feature nowadays, even though I'm not convinced by some if the things people do to circumvent it.

For example, adding every stranger as a 'friend' so you get the bonuses/rewards. This makes for a frustrating experience as in case you don't go through this ordeal each time, you're missing out. And then you end up with hundreds of people in your list, just to make sure there are a bunch of people to play with at any given time of the day.

I'm sure a lot of people will like this idea as it's quite a popular feature nowadays, even though I'm not convinced by some if the things people do to circumvent it.

For example, adding every stranger as a 'friend' so you get the bonuses/rewards. This makes for a frustrating experience as in case you don't go through this ordeal each time, you're missing out. And then you end up with hundreds of people in your list, just to make sure there are a bunch of people to play with at any given time of the day.

I can definitely see this happening, but that's why I suggested the free re-roll (possibly into a quest with the same gold reward 100% of the time?). The thing with that kind of scenario is that the type of person you're talking about is usually in the minority, even if it may seem like they're everywhere. Also, this kind of quest would be just as common as the other quests (á la Hearthstone) which prevents the "100-player friends list" problem you're talking about.

On the other hand, this implementation is not perfect. People will always do their damndest to exploit it, but that's not something that happens exclusively with quests like these.

• 3 weeks later...

It could work by giving a bonus increasing in increments for every member of the current game that you're in a party with. Alternatively, there could be quests similar to "Play map X with 3 other players in your party" or similar. I personally prefer the former way of implementation

I don't think implementing group quests that way is a good idea. If a player prefers playing solo that should be accepted and he shouldn't be punished for that. Those who already prefer to play in a group will do so even without any incentive.

I like the idea of helping people to socialize ingame by using the mechanics but it shouldn't be economics-driven. IMO a better idea is to give people challenges to fulfil. And if you need a reward that could be in the form of XP, lore or ingame/forum avatars, etc... My point is that by making the reward a cosmetic one, nobody gets any advantage/disadvantage ingame.

I don't think implementing group quests that way is a good idea. If a player prefers playing solo that should be accepted and he shouldn't be punished for that. Those who already prefer to play in a group will do so even without any incentive.

I like the idea of helping people to socialize ingame by using the mechanics but it shouldn't be economics-driven. IMO a better idea is to give people challenges to fulfil. And if you need a reward that could be in the form of XP, lore or ingame/forum avatars, etc... My point is that by making the reward a cosmetic one, nobody gets any advantage/disadvantage ingame.

You should read my other posts. I address the issue you're bringing up there. Punishing people who play solo is a bad idea, yes. The way to go about this is to make group quests "re-rollable".

You should read my other posts. I address the issue you're bringing up there. Punishing people who play solo is a bad idea, yes. The way to go about this is to make group quests "re-rollable".

But that way you just add another daily quest which I honestly doubt the devs will consider. Also it isn't an incentive if you can reroll it anyway.

I stand with my opinion. It shouldn't be implemented with an economics-driven incentive as it would be as a daily quest.

But that way you just add another daily quest which I honestly doubt the devs will consider. Also it isn't an incentive if you can reroll it anyway.

I stand with my opinion. It shouldn't be implemented with an economics-driven incentive as it would be as a daily quest.

I disagree. Letting a multiplayer-oriented person keep the quest while letting a solo player re-roll it is a good thing. It keeps the LFG spam away and it gives an incentive for people to play multiplayer. Otherwise you may have the good ole "I'll play with you later I need to finish my dailies!1!1!". No one likes that.

I disagree. Letting a multiplayer-oriented person keep the quest while letting a solo player re-roll it is a good thing. It keeps the LFG spam away and it gives an incentive for people to play multiplayer. Otherwise you may have the good ole "I'll play with you later I need to finish my dailies!1!1!". No one likes that.

Why do you think that the daily quests can only be completed solo? The PvE ones might require a single-player-map but other than that I don't know why they should be. And as long as one is able to complete them both solo or in a group there is no problem like that.

What I thought you wanted was a new, separate incentive for people to play multiplayer or in groups. You won't get that with what you suggested though as it is not different from the already proposed quests except for the fact that you could then reroll or not for either a solo or coop-specific quest. But there is no need for that if the quest wasn't specific to begin with. And if a daily quest happens to be specific then you are already able to reroll that anyway.
The only problem I could see is for players who play for example only solo and no PvE. That way they would have to reroll the PvE quest as well as a group quest if they happen to get one.

PS: The game is already quite good in regards of socializing. Everyone who plays PvE needs to play coop with other people on the 2-player and 4-player maps. And once you try to beat them on expert you need a decent team you can trust. The PvP might fall a bit short in the multiplayer aspect because one never needs to play 2v2. But seeing how complex PvP is those people would need to chat with others to gain new experience and insight again leading to socializing.
All in all this game already got a great multiplayer design and while I do support every attempt to improve it, I don't think your idea is the way to go.

Why do you think that the daily quests can only be completed solo? The PvE ones might require a single-player-map but other than that I don't know why they should be. And as long as one is able to complete them both solo or in a group there is no problem like that.

What I thought you wanted was a new, separate incentive for people to play multiplayer or in groups. You won't get that with what you suggested though as it is not different from the already proposed quests except for the fact that you could then reroll or not for either a solo or coop-specific quest. But there is no need for that if the quest wasn't specific to begin with. And if a daily quest happens to be specific then you are already able to reroll that anyway.
The only problem I could see is for players who play for example only solo and no PvE. That way they would have to reroll the PvE quest as well as a group quest if they happen to get one.

First off, the amount of people who play solely solo PvP is so small it's niche. You can't account for them in this case as they account for such a small part of the userbase. With that said, there's a clear distinction to be made between a MP daily and a normal daily. The way you put it makes it sound like all PvE dailies say "Beat 1 map". From what I've understood, there will be quests in the style of "Beat map X". This is where having a generic multiplayer quest such as "Beat a map with X players in you party"  is a good thing. If everyone has different dailies, then they can't play together in a feasible amount of time. This way you can even do dailies by way of rPvE. For solo players (who I firmly believe are in the minority)m rerolling would then yield you with a generic solo quest ("Beat solo map X" or just simply "Beat map X").

Rerolling is not as redundant as you make it out to be.

First off, the amount of people who play solely solo PvP is so small it's niche. You can't account for them in this case as they account for such a small part of the userbase. With that said, there's a clear distinction to be made between a MP daily and a normal daily. The way you put it makes it sound like all PvE dailies say "Beat 1 map". From what I've understood, there will be quests in the style of "Beat map X". This is where having a generic multiplayer quest such as "Beat a map with X players in you party"  is a good thing. If everyone has different dailies, then they can't play together in a feasible amount of time. This way you can even do dailies by way of rPvE. For solo players (who I firmly believe are in the minority)m rerolling would then yield you with a generic solo quest ("Beat solo map X" or just simply "Beat map X").

Why do you think it's only a small part of the userbase? There are quite many players who don't like to play PvE at all and quite a few threads that proof that. And I don't think that every PvP player feels the need for 2v2 all the time (or the other way around 1v1). You make assumptions without anything to back them up. We can't make suggestions using something we can't proof.

You also to have to consider if you give alternatives like "Beat a map with X players in your party" instead of "Beat map X" the first one is much easier to complete because you can take any multiplayer map, while the second restricts you to one (be it multiplayer or solo). The generic quests are completable without restrictions to game mode so I doubt they are specific about the amount of players.
I think you got a wrong idea how many possibilities the single reroll per day has. With that one you can have 2 generic quests that are completable in any mode you like and one gamemode specific one that might restrict your party size. But I think one per day is tolerable. If you tend to not play every day and gather 6 or 9 dailies then you probably won't even be able to complete them in a session anyway and you can just choose the ones that fit you.

Hello Skylords,

when i was playing Battleforge long long time ago, i could play some maps(often the big 12player maps) not very often (to less players at the same time were interested in it).

I dont know where to post it, but is there a plan to get some rewards, if u play these rarely played maps? (like the reward-system in wow, if u get some rewards for playing as tank or healer)

I think it will be hard, to compare this with the daily system.

Best regards,

Nico aka Lohle

I think this is very important.

I'd suggest to make a "Map of the Day" or "Map of the Week" which 75% is a 12 player map and 25% a 4 player map. Those give some extra reward (very small amount of BFP or extra Gold or Tokens). This way everyone can get their 12 player map upgrades and doesn't need to farm tokens in rpve (which is very boring).

Not sure if this thread is about Quest design, but as a generic quest I thought we are talking of something in the like of:

1. Use X Spells on enemy units.

2. Kill X enemy units.

3. Deal X damage.

4. Spawn units with worth a total of X Energy.

Edited by Bratzmeister

I'd suggest to make a "Map of the Day" or "Map of the Week" which 75% is a 12 player map and 25% a 4 player map. Those give some extra reward (very small amount of BFP or extra Gold or Tokens). This way everyone can get their 12 player map upgrades and doesn't need to farm tokens in rpve (which is very boring).

Map of the Day would be hard to make I think, would make the map be very repetitive as the same maps would need to come back or we would hardly have enough maps.

• Zyna changed the title to Proposal: Rewards
  • Zyna unpinned this topic