Proposal: Rewards

MrXLink

WARNING: THIS THREAD MIGHT CONTAIN OUTDATED INFORMATION

Greeting, Skylords!

It's been long since a solid update, and it has come to my attention that there are tonnes of threads that still imply confusion about how BFP is earned and for what people will be rewarded. After some internal discussion, I would like to introduce you to the current proposal for our reward systems. Mind that these are proposals, none of it is definite; changes may still take place. Also note that there are no set BFP values for anything yet.

In Skylords Reborn, on a daily basis, you will be able to earn BFP in 2 ways:

• Daily Quest System (3x per day)
  • Playtime Rewards (BFP/30m, halves every 1.5h)

The currently proposed (not definite) BFP rates between those systems are that 60% of the maximum amount of BFP per day can be earned through quests, and 40% through playtime, resulting in an average BFP reward per player of 75% after completing all quests, or at least something in the liking of that.

You may have noticed that there is a hard cap on one of the systems. As I have already discussed in the past, this is to prevent overfarming and to make sure people stay within the game for a longer average time. Within BF Reborn, there are 2 main currencies; BFP and Gold. We don't want to make BFP a grindable currency such as gold, as it should be a valuable and unique, limited currency you can buy cards with. So we have decided that BFP will be our limited, easily trade-able currency used to buy cards/elements/etc, and gold to be our grindable currency used for upgrades, mails, etc. Do know that we are working on making gold a useful currency, of which you shall hear more in the future.

With thanks to your valuable suggestions, I've decided to throw in a soft-cap for playtime instead. This way playing for longer will make you earn less and less BFP, but won't leave you empty-handed after 3h. Hopefully this will result in people finding more use for extended playtime, while not getting excessively ahead of someone who plays for a regular 3h. 

With regards to multi-accounting, we have come to the conclusion that yes, hard caps on reward systems may result in this, but it is more important to maintain player activity and a greater enjoyability curve, as well as lasting potential of the game by requesting players to come back another day and monitoring the rich/poor gap quite a bit, than to combat multi-accounting players who feel the need to spend yet another 3 hours and quests on the game. We can't and won't combat multi-accounting 100%, as it would result in sacrificing way too much of the game's features, enjoyability, and reward optimisation.

Daily Quests
In-depth, daily quests are, as the name implies, daily tasks a player may complete in exchange for BFP. To reach and encourage every player with this system, there will be 3 different quest types, of which the player will receive 1 each per day; a generic quest, a PvP quest and a PvE quest. Aside from tome-related quests, there will NOT be any deck-based quests, so that every player has a chance to complete the quests the way they like it.

• Generic quests are quests that can be completed within any game mode, such as winning matches, playing matches, playing with friends, using tome decks, etc.
  • PvP quests can only be completed within the PvP section, such as playing on certain maps, playing 1v1/2v2, playing x amount of PvP matches, etc. Note that winning ranked PvP matches will not be a quest, as it will be too demanding to fulfil.
  • PvE quests can only be completed within the PvE section, such as playing on certain maps, completing certain levels of rPvE, playing maps with a set amount of players, playing at a certain difficulty, etc.

An example of a daily quest set would be:

• PvP: Play 2 2v2 PvP matches
  • PvE: Play a 12-player campaign map
  • Generic: Win a match using a tome deck

Up to 9 quests will be allowed to stack up, so you could leave the game for 3 days and not miss out on any Daily Quest rewards. If there are any quests stacking up that you are not interested in as a player or can't seem to complete, you can remove this quest from the board, gaining no BFP whatsoever, and make more room for new quests.

In order to give a little freedom in case a player doesn't like a quest, one quest can be re-rolled per day. This re-roll will result in the non-preferred quest to be exchanged for a random other quest from the Generic type, but will only net the player 75% of the BFP reward they would have been able to obtain by completing the original quest.

Refer-a-Friend
We are intending on making the friend referral system a thing. However, we will make sure all rewards obtained from this system will be mostly account-bound and will most likely not include cards anymore. Think of rewards such as elements, gold, and maybe some BFP rewards for spending time with referred friends. We are thinking of implementing a system that not only rewards players for referring friends, but also for playing with said referred player. Rewards will be mutual and mostly untradeable. There's not much more to say about this.

Social Media
Additionally, our current idea is to also implement rewards for liking/following/subscribing/etc. On social media. Such actions may result in un-tradeable rewards or small amounts of BFP. The rewards themselves are uncertain, but we'd really like to encourage spreading the word and this would be a perfect solution. This would be a web-based process (accounts are likely going to be bound to a web database).

So those are the currently proposed ways of earning rewards within the game. Feel free to discuss these systems below and ask questions, just do remember this is not definite, but merely our current system proposal.

Logarius, Haru and Mariji like this

We could very well do that. However, it might be conflicting with BF's avatar system (spend BFP/G on changing your avatar to a card image). It would result in players not being able to get their social media images back if they change it. But maybe the web application can work with that...

thanks for the nice summary first of all, its good to hear an official statement, especially about this highly discussed topic.

I got one question about that spending time with refered friends thing: Will those refered friends also get small bonuses or only the person who actually refered them?

Edited by Treim

thanks for the nice summary first of all, its good to hear an official statement, especially about this highly discussed topic.

I got one question about that spending time with refered friends thing: Will those refered friends also get small bonuses or only the person who actually refered them?

as it was said they are possibly thinking that the invited friends will get rewards aswell

quoting xlink

We are thinking of implementing a system that not only rewards players for referring friends, but also for playing with said referred player. There's not much more to say about this. 

Edited by kestas3

Daily Quests
In-depth, daily quests are, as the name implies, daily tasks a player may complete in exchange for BFP. To reach and encourage every player with this system, there will be 3 different quest types, of which the player will receive 1 each per day; a generic quest, a PvP quest and a PvE quest. Aside from tome-related quests, there will NOT be any deck-based quests, so that every player has a chance to complete the quests the way they like it.

I appreciate your time put into this.

Could you give me a bit more information as to why the ability to choose either a PvP or PvE based quest isn't the current proposal anymore ? I'm sure that this is something quite a lot of players won't like since they will be forced, to some degree, to play a part of the game they didn't like, since PvP players will need to play PvE and PvE players will need to play PvP, to some point.

We are thinking of implementing a system that not only rewards players for referring friends, but also for playing with said referred player. There's not much more to say about this. 

That doesn't mean the referred friends will be rewarded as well. That just means that the player who referred the friend will be able to play with him to earn even more rewards. There is nothing about the referred friend getting rewards.

Refer-a-Friend
We are intending on making the friend referral system a thing. However, we will make sure all rewards obtained from this system will be mostly account-bound and will most likely not include cards anymore. Think of rewards such as elements, gold, and maybe some BFP rewards for spending time with referred friends. We are thinking of implementing a system that not only rewards players for referring friends, but also for playing with said referred player. There's not much more to say about this.

An example of a daily quest set would be:

• PvP: Play 3 2v2 PvP matches
  • Generic: Win a match using a tome deck

One problem with this is that people can create matches with their friends to abuse these sort of quests.

For example, hosting a 2v2 PvP game then agreeing on who kills who really fast (or destroying all buildings/units for a swift loss). To make things worse, you'd get rewarded twice for this: once for completing the quest by either winning or losing quickly, and a second time due to the referral system.

Or - as it was mentioned by a couple of people - one might be inclined to go afk if forced into playing a game mode he/she dislikes.

That doesn't mean the refered friends will be rewarded as well. That just means that the player who refered the friend will be able to play with him to earn even more rewards. There is  nothing about the refered friend getting rewards.

oh damm. misunderstood what was written but i suppose the friend can be awarded aswell for showing that it aint a smurf acc but an actuall friend who came to play

Edited by kestas3

Im loving what I see here. The cap makes sense, and it is not too high. If it would be, hardcore players would speed too far ahead of the casuals. On that note, making quests PLAY a map, PLAY pvp is also better for casuals, as winning could prove too difficult or frustrating.

I do have a question about selling cards. After a while, most people will have a ton of excess commons, which are basically unsellable in auction house. WIll there be a method to sell the cards off at a steep discount for extra bfp? say if a booster would cost 100, a single common would yield 1 or 2 ? personally I disliked having stacks upon stacks of useless cards but that might just be me :P. 

Might as well make the rewards mutual, yes.

I do have a question about selling cards. After a while, most people will have a ton of excess commons, which are basically unsellable in auction house. WIll there be a method to sell the cards off at a steep discount for extra bfp? say if a booster would cost 100, a single common would yield 1 or 2 ? personally I disliked having stacks upon stacks of useless cards but that might just be me :P. 

Set prices for selling cards for BFP integrated within the system is not something we have in mind for now. I'll elaborate later. Stick to the topic though!

I think forcing people to complete PvP and PvE quests is the wrong way to go with this.  Needs to be either or... ie 3 PvP quests or 3 PvE quests some how you should be able to choose which path you want to go down.

Not to keen on the random part either.  There will be times you can not complete a "12" PoTD player map simple due to the fact that you can not findf riends or the ones you are pugging with are clueless and have no idea how to fight the map.

if you make BFP to difficult to get you will have a new player retention problem very quickly.  This is a true F2P game, new players will not want to grind for long, especially quest they can not complete.

Instead of rerolling a random quest, what if you reroll to CHOOSE a standard one? I'd propose the "standard" quest options would be "win 1 ranked match," "win 2 Battlegrounds matches level 5 or higher," or "complete any map on intermediate." These quests obviously require a degree of skill so they may not be optimal for regular quests, but I think they have a good combination of difficulty and completabilty. I would hate be playing at US time when there are 5 active people online so I reroll my "play 3 2v2 matches" because there is LITERALLY no one who will play, and then I get "play a 12 player map" for even less bfp. So I'd like the reroll to be a quest I can complete FOR SURE, even if it's for less bfp. So instead of taking a bfp penalty from going from one quest I can't complete to another, I'd like to be able to choose "win 1 pvp match" if I'm feeling I can do that (and everyone, no matter how bad, can do that eventually), or "complete any map on intermediate" which maybe can't be done by total noobs, but it's still a guaranteed way to get 50%-75% of the bfp I would originally get. (Note that I said 50-75%, because 25% is really a pittance).

Can we count time spent looking for a matchup as part of the play time?

Also, 3 2v2 matches is usually at least an hour . . . that may be a bit much...

Instead of rerolling a random quest, what if you reroll to CHOOSE a standard one? I'd propose the "standard" quest options would be "win 1 ranked match," "win 2 Battlegrounds matches level 5 or higher," or "complete any map on intermediate." These quests obviously require a degree of skill so they may not be optimal for regular quests, but I think they have a good combination of difficulty and completabilty. I would hate be playing at US time when there are 5 active people online so I reroll my "play 3 2v2 matches" because there is LITERALLY no one who will play, and then I get "play a 12 player map" for even less bfp. So I'd like the reroll to be a quest I can complete FOR SURE, even if it's for less bfp. So instead of taking a bfp penalty from going from one quest I can't complete to another, I'd like to be able to choose "win 1 pvp match" if I'm feeling I can do that (and everyone, no matter how bad, can do that eventually), or "complete any map on intermediate" which maybe can't be done by total noobs, but it's still a guaranteed way to get 50%-75% of the bfp I would originally get. (Note that I said 50-75%, because 25% is really a pittance).

You raise a fair point, I might actually consider that option for that reason and that reason only.

Also, your words imply I mentioned 25% of the price being the reward, this is not the case. You exchange a reroll for 25% of the price, therefore the reward will be 75%.

Can we count time spent looking for a matchup as part of the play time?

I'm afraid that would be way too tempting to idle around with, so no. Just like the daily BFP reward from EA couldn't be earned by queueing.

Also, 3 2v2 matches is usually at least an hour . . . that may be a bit much...

Well, as thoroughly mentioned it's an example, as I said there are no definite numbers. I literally made that up with no further thought because the real values will be calculated/looked at later.

If I may put my two cents in, people are going to trade win and multi-accounting to make the most out of their time. This remind me a bit of league of legends where the best way to farm IP (the equivalent to BFP) is to intentionally feed the opponent then afk in the jungle in hope that they end the game within 7-8 min. I expect those who do that to get burnout of league of legends pretty fast.

How about simply earning BFP for completing a pvp or pve map. That way multi-accounting or win trading isn't the best way to earn bf and you get to do whatever you enjoy the most at the same time, because, I think, the fastest way to progress in a game should also be the most enjoyable as it is the path most people are going to take.

As for keeping people playing the game for longer, implementing new contents (new cards, maps, game modes...) over artificially lengthening the game using a hard cap for BFP is, in my opinion, the way to go.

If I may put my two cents in, people are going to trade win and multi-accounting to make the most out of their time. This remind me a bit of league of legends where the best way to farm IP (the equivalent to BFP) is to intentionally feed the opponent then afk in the jungle in hope that they end the game within 7-8 min. I expect those who do that to get burnout of league of legends pretty fast.

How about simply earning BFP for completing a pvp or pve map. That way multi-accounting or win trading isn't the best way to earn bf and you get to do whatever you enjoy the most at the same time, because, I think, the fastest way to progress in a game should also be the most enjoyable as it is the path most people are going to take.

As for keeping people playing the game for longer, implementing new contents (new cards, maps, game modes...) over artificially lengthening the game using a hard cap for BFP is, in my opinion, the way to go.

multi accounting is never completely preventable and i trust this team to find the best/ a very good way to deal with it. I never saw someone in my 3000 normal/ranked games feeding the enemy team intentionally to get IP faster. I think youre a bit overdramatic.

Earning BFP for completing a map is even more abusable. Bad Harvest speedrun takes around 3 minutes. Passage to darkness about 6. By giving out BFP for winning PVP you wouldnt change anything though. People would just trade wins: let me win this game and you will get the next game for free. Every of those systems are 'abusable'.

Implementing new cards requires a lot of balancing and creating high quality PVE maps is a really hard task as well. And we do not even know if we are allowed to do that  do to EA still owning the rights on BF. With community maps and the already implemented system there is at least some new content coming into the game though.

Edited by Treim

Overall, i do like the proposal.

I also like that there is a chance that you get a mission in pvp if you are a pve player and there is still a chance that you get a pvp mission after reroll. I feel that there are many players sticking to pvp or pve only although they might enjoy other game modes every now and then as well. it might get some players into pvp or pve respectively.

IF there are standard missions, they should be completable with only minimal players online but they should also require a bit more time overall (otherwise you just multiaccount and speedrun a pve map solo with the standard cards for max bfp/playtime. with random quests such optimzed strategies are not so easy to make and i don't see a big issue there) or have a minimum time spent limit (play rpve 5 or higher for 30 minutes total etc.). 

Personally. i do not like hard caps based on playtime. It just makes you feel like you get nothing if you keep playing after 3 hours. I personally would prefer a softcap system: 0-2 hours: 100% rewards 2-4 hours: 50% rewards >4 hours: 25% rewards. This way playing at least for some time is encouraged, active players do not get too far ahead (at least 8 hours spent to double the rewards for 2 hours spent seems fine to me) and active players at least still get something and not entirely nothing.

Overall i like the proposal, it seems far more resonable than what i usually see beeing proposed on the forums...

Edited by LagOps

You raise a fair point, I might actually consider that option for that reason and that reason only.

Also, your words imply I mentioned 25% of the price being the reward, this is not the case. You exchange a reroll for 25% of the price, therefore the reward will be 75%.

I'm afraid that would be way too tempting to idle around with, so no. Just like the daily BFP reward from EA couldn't be earned by queueing.

Well, as thoroughly mentioned it's an example, as I said there are no definite numbers. I literally made that up with no further thought because the real values will be calculated/looked at later.

I guess I misunderstood what "exchange" meant. Yeah, 75% seems good. Thanks for clarifying.

How can you idle around by queuing? Even if you quickly start and stop, you're still being active (the point is to prevent people going afk, right?) It's just frustrating for me because I used to spend more time waiting for a match than actually playing. Hopefully that won't be that large a problem, but if it does happen, it would be quite annoying. It never mattered for the EA daily reward because that was 15 minutes . . . that means I only had to be on for about 40-60 minutes at a time to get it, and it was such a pittance that I didn't really care whether I got it or not. 

Instead of a time reward, what about a score reward? Since that's based on power spent. That way you at least have to be active to get it.

I also like @LagOps's suggestion about a soft cap.

In addition to what @Treim said, 

It's not just about multi-accounting. It's also about keeping your playerbase active at a decent rate. We also don't want players to get all they want through being able to farm day and night, not only due to the rich/poor gap but also due to game experience and flow. BFP is not a grinding currency and we don't want to make it one, so take what you can get for a day and come back next time. It is a limited currency you can save, and especially for new players this should give a clear overview and make them grow steadily. Additionally, we want players to last, and this is a really solid way of making sure people return. 

Also a funny thing to point out is that people are starting to wonder whether they would see the fun or point in playing without earning BFP. Well... haven't you done so back in vanilla battleforge? There is also still gold to grind, upgrades to farm, experience to gain and ranks to increase without getting BFP. 

Overall, i do like the proposal.

I also like that there is a chance that you get a mission in pvp if you are a pve player and there is still a chance that you get a pvp mission after reroll. I feel that there are many players sticking to pvp or pve only although they might enjoy other game modes every now and then as well. it might get some players into pvp or pve respectively.

IF there are standard missions, they should be completable with only minimal players online but they should also require a bit more time overall (otherwise you just multiaccount and speedrun a pve map solo with the standard cards for max bfp/playtime. with random quests such optimzed strategies are not so easy to make and i don't see a big issue there) or have a minimum time spent limit (play rpve 5 or higher for 30 minutes total etc.). 

Personally. i do not like hard caps based on playtime. It just makes you feel like you get nothing if you keep playing after 3 hours. I personally would prefer a softcap system: 0-2 hours: 100% rewards 2-4 hours: 50% rewards >4 hours: 25% rewards. This way playing at least for some time is encouraged, active players do not get too far ahead (at least 8 hours spent to double the rewards for 2 hours spent seems fine to me) and active players at least still get something and not entirely nothing.

Overall i like the proposal, it seems far more resonable than what i usually see beeing proposed on the forums...

I'm glad you understand the main point of why there are PvP AND PvE missions, and why there are no choices. It is a good thing to encourage gameplay variety and those who do not feel like a certain quest can reroll to earn less and have a chance to roll a quest they may enjoy more. This is especially important for newer players and players that tend to stick to one mode.

I am indeed hoping we can get a minimum time spent limit integrated within "completion" quests, especially for PvP but also for random maps. Idling must not be a thing.

I am not a fan of a softcap system, especially with gold being a bit more important in BFReborn it will not truly feel like you're not gaining everything, just like I stated above. However, I will take it into consideration and see what influence it would have.

So we gonna get tome decks. Are they again limit in time and free?

Tomes are considered a core feature and will most likely return, yes.

I appreciate your time put into this.

Could you give me a bit more information as to why the ability to choose either a PvP or PvE based quest isn't the current proposal anymore ? I'm sure that this is something quite a lot of players won't like since they will be forced, to some degree, to play a part of the game they didn't like, since PvP players will need to play PvE and PvE players will need to play PvP, to some point.

Thanks.

I already mentioned something above, but a quest system is designed to encourage people to explore more features of the game in exchange for virtual currency. The same applies here. The quest system is being used to get people out of their PvP or PvE comfort zone and tempt them to try out the other mode in order to get more BFP. With the playtime reward system and there always being a mission of their preferred playtype they won't miss out on a huge lot of BFP (20%), and if they do want a chance at earning BFP in another way they can reroll and hope for a more suitable quest. If this is not the case then they will indeed have to play the other game mode to earn their BFP. If they don't want to, then they will have to miss out and try again the day after. 

The quest system ensures that players who stick to what they normally do get to experience other parts of the game that they might find interesting after all (again, especially newcomers but also veterans!) and this will lengthen their gameplay experience and may help to have them stick around or at the very least enjoy battleforge more. Yes, this is at the cost of what people who normally play nothing but one game mode want but the quests should not be hard to complete and the other odds just weigh up so much more against it that it's deemed better for the game overall.

Hope that's a bit of an explanation.

How can you idle around by queuing? Even if you quickly start and stop, you're still being active (the point is to prevent people going afk, right?) It's just frustrating for me because I used to spend more time waiting for a match than actually playing. Hopefully that won't be that large a problem, but if it does happen, it would be quite annoying. It never mattered for the EA daily reward because that was 15 minutes . . . that means I only had to be on for about 40-60 minutes at a time to get it, and it was such a pittance that I didn't really care whether I got it or not. 

Instead of a time reward, what about a score reward? Since that's based on power spent. That way you at least have to be active to get it.

If you add up queueing time, you can queue, then be idle for the game, and still gain your BFP through queueing time only. It might be frustrating to wait long for a match, but adding it to the reward time makes the system way more abusable. Mind that the rewards will be bigger (even scaled up through the F2P system) and hopefully the playerbase will be better than BF's dying days.

I am unsure whether there is score in PvE. If you want score to replace time we'll have a lot of issues with balancing the rewards per score, since some maps have more power wells than others, and PvP uses way less power than PvE. That'd be too much of a hassle compared to the fact that you can use time. Sure, the other system would require more action but at least with the time factor we are sure that it requires a player to spend a lot of time doing nothing, which is easier to report. 

@MrXLink

Maybe the score would only apply in unranked PvP rewards? In ranked that won't be a problem; just assume every player is active because their ELO drop from being inactive will be sufficient punishment. I'm pretty sure the score is also kept in PvE. Perhaps there should be a ratio of time spent to score (tuned to each map--maybe a lot of work) that would flag for idling. For instance I could surely beat a lvl 1 BG in 5 minutes, but maybe I want to idle for the last 8 minutes while I wait for time to increase. Doing this would increase my time, but not my score. So the trick would be to make a minimum score per minute [probably an exponential function like y=Ce^(rt)] such that it wouldn't flag you if you're actively using power and void power (such as if you're just bad), because your score would increase with your time.

It seems fairly easy in scope (to a me, a non-programmer), but perhaps I'm just overcomplicating things....

multi accounting is never completely preventable and i trust this team to find the best/ a very good way to deal with it. I never saw someone in my 3000 normal/ranked games feeding the enemy team intentionally to get IP faster. I think youre a bit overdramatic.

Earning BFP for completing a map is even more abusable. Bad Harvest speedrun takes around 3 minutes. Passage to darkness about 6. By giving out BFP for winning PVP you wouldnt change anything though. People would just trade wins: let me win this game and you will get the next game for free. Every of those systems are 'abusable'.

Implementing new cards requires a lot of balancing and creating high quality PVE maps is a really hard task as well. And we do not even know if we are allowed to do that  do to EA still owning the rights on BF. With community maps and the already implemented system there is at least some new content coming into the game though.

In lol, the matchmaking system isn't random. Those who lose a lot of games play with those that have a similar win rate. If you have a ~50% win rate you will likely never see it.

I propose this system for the BFP reward. It's a more elaborate version of what I said earlier. "Earning BFP for completing a map."
(the numbers would preferably vary based on the average game time of a map(e.g. the BFP cap would be bigger in 2v2 than 1v1 as 2v2 tend to last longer.)):

• A minimum amount of BFP earned. So that short pvp game and speed running isn't penalised.
  • A linear increase in the BFP reward. So that longer games aren't penalised
  • A BFP cap depending on the average game time of said map. That way, you can't afk indefinitely and cash in a huge reward after the game.
  • A minimum time spent on the map to earn any BFP at all. That way, trading very quick win in pvp isn't possible.
  • Twice the BFP for winning. So that you can't earn too much BFP by afking in a map then leaving at the optimal time.
  • Maybe a small BFP boost that increase after each month(?) (example: twice the BFP for the first 10 win) for new player that start playing a few months after the game just re-launched so that they can keep up more easily with older player, but still get the same experience that older player had.

The pro would be:
Multi accounting isn't a viable way to earn BFP.
You aren't penalised for playing a lot during the weakend, but rarely during the week.
You can play whatever you want and still earn BFP!
You don't feel like you are "wasting time" when you are doing a map and know you won't earn BFP.

The con would be:
There will always be a fastest way to earn BFP.
BFP won't be a limited currency and will be grindable. (BFP would also be grindable with daylies only in a much less fun way.)

edit: the algorithm for BFP reward would look something like this:
BFP=10+(2*time)
time>4min
BFP cap = 70
*2 if it's a win

Edited by indubitablement
Added what the algorithm could look like.

• Zyna changed the title to Proposal: Rewards
  • MrXLink unfeatured this topic
  • Zyna unpinned this topic