[Guide] Useful forum features

Useful forum features

I've been thinking about making a forum guide for quite a while since I get a lot of questions about where certain features are. Instead of making a guide with all the basics in it, I thought I would rather just mention useful forum features that members aren't able to find that easily and mention some features you might not even know exist. The features mentioned in this thread will be based on the questions that I have gotten from members and from your guys' suggestions, so be sure to suggest if I should add a feature! Some of these features might be obvious to you, but not to others.

Summary:

1. How do I add pictures to my posts ?

2. Where do I change my signature ?

3. How can I easily resize my picture ?

4. How can I make a link that redirects people to a specific post ?

5. How can I report a post ?

6. Where can I see some forum statistics ?

7. Where can I see a list of staff members ?

8. How can I see a list of all the posts made in the forum ?

9. Where can I donate ?

10. How can I link someones profile ?

11. What are notifications ? How do I turn notifications off ?

12. Thread notification symbols

13. Ability to toggle chat sound notification

14. How do I quote and  multiquote members ?

15. How do I make a hyperlink ?

16. How do I get reputation ?

17. Is there a way to easily mention someone in the chat ?

1. How do I add pictures to my posts ?

There are a couple of different ways to add pictures to your posts. You can either click on "choose files..." and select a file, you can drag the files into the dark grey section under your post (marked with green), you can click on "insert other media"  and insert a link of your picture or you can add pictures from your existing attachments. F_G_3.thumb.png.66bd099b2c0fdbf24fb5e3ab

2. Where do I change my signature ? 

Go to the main forum page and look at the top right corner of the page. You will see your profile picture and name, which has an arrow pointing down. Whenever you click on your name or arrow, the small window shown in the picture below (left one) will open. Go to Account Settings.

Once you are in your Account Settings, you will be able to see an Overview of your account settings, change your Email Address and Password and also edit your signature. Once you click on Signature, this is what you will see (right picture). You are now able to make your own signature and also disable signatures by clicking on the green rectangle. I would like to remind you that the size of your signature may not be bigger than 600x150 pixels.

56bf11aba59ae_FB1and2.thumb.png.14a811f2

3. How can I easily resize my picture ?

Whenever you double click on a picture while editing or writing your post, you are able to resize it. A window shown in the picture below will appear. You can resize it by changing the the width (left number) and/or height (right number). Whenever you change one of these 2 values, the other value will automatically change accordingly. This is to keep the aspect ratio of the picture the same and to prevent distorting your picture. You are also able to edit some other things about your picture. Click on "Update" once you are done.

56bf1206cb39e_UpdateGuide.png.edd4e08691

4. How can I make a link that redirects people to a specific post ?

Instead of copying the link at the top of the screen, you must go to the post you want to link and click on the small share symbol which is in the top right corner of the post. Simply click on the share button and copy the link that will show up.

F_B_4.thumb.png.48128bd7cd1a38fe7290969c

5. How can I report a post ?

Sometimes I get this question, although the answer is very simple. At the top of the members' post there is a "Report post" button. After you click on it, you are able to write the reasoning behind your report. You are only able to report status updates and posts, no profiles.

F_B_3.thumb.png.9b3e4b03aaa298127fa9705a

6. Where can I see some forum statistics ?

At the bottom of the main forum page there are some forum statistics. These statistics include: most people online at once, total amount of posts and threads, members who are currently online, total amount of members registered and more...

F_B_2.thumb.png.e67b1d56d0cf946dd13236aa

7. Where can I see a list of staff members ?

8. How can I see a list of all the posts made in the forum ?

Go to the main forum page and check the navigation bar at the top. You should see a "More" button. Click on that and a small window will appear, as shown in the picture below. By clicking on  "All Activity" you will be able to see all the posts ever made in this forum.

You can click on "Staff" to see all the staff members. These staff members have certain coloured ranks that identifies them. That a look at the right picture, there you can see all the different colours. Check the Global Forum Rules for a description of the 4 different roles. Furthermore, there are also members with a Beta Player Badge and Skylord of Honour Badge. They are not part of the BFReborn team.

If you want to learn more about the staff members check this thread where they introduce themselves.

56bf13e660f07_FG5.png.d45394d3770af91e9a          F_B_5.thumb.png.2793b2b833eeea7cadb071ff

9. Where can I donate ?

You can donate by going to the main forum page (Outdated)

You can "mention" people by making a link to their profile. You do this by simply writing @ and then their name, no spaces in between. After writing the persons name, or just part of it, a small window will appear with their profile picture and name. You then click on his/her name on the window that appeared and your link should turn blue: this means it is working and whenever people click on that they will be redirected to the persons profile. Example: @ladadoos

F_B_6.thumb.png.21b471b17d597d1feb7a202d

11. What are notifications? How do I turn notifications off ?

Whenever someone mentions you, quotes you, replies to your thread, gives you reputation, follows you and more, you get a notification. You can check if you have any notifications by going to the main forum page and going to the top right corner of the page. There, you will see a globe. Once you receive any notifications, a number will appear next to the globe. That number represents the amount of notifications you have.

You might want to turn these notifications off. To do that, you simply have to go to your "Account Settings" at the top right corner of the main forum page. Then you click on the 'Notification Settings'. There, you are able to customize from what you get notified, as well as some more other settings.

56bf176662f1d_Notificationsguide.thumb.p

I'm sure you've looked at threads and wondered what all those symbols mean, why sometimes the tittles are bolded and more... I will explain what it all means.

• Grey star (marked blue): This grey star indicates that this is a thread you've posted in before.
  • Bolded star (marked green): This bolded star tells you, in combination with a bolded tittle, that this is a thread you've posted in before and that someone else posted something in the thread that you still haven't read. In this case it was @Ultrakool who just posted something I still haven't read, 1 minute ago.
  • Bolded circle (marked red): This bolded circle tells you, in combination with a bolded tittle, that this is a thread you've not posted in before and that someone else posted something in that thread that you still haven't read ( or it's a new thread ). Whenever you read it, the circle goes away, as seen by the Donators - Thanks list! thread for example.
  • Bolded tittle (marked yellow): This bolded tittle tells you, in combination with a bolded symbol (circle or star) that someone has posted something in that thread that you still haven't read.
  • Pin in a green square (marked white): This pin indicates that this thread is pinned: As long as it is pinned, It will always show up on top of the threads list. This is to make important threads more easily accessible for members. If there are multiple threads pinned, their position in the list depends on the amount of replies the thread has. This exact thread is pinned.
  • Star in a green square (marked purple): This star means that this thread is featured. That basically means that it is recommended by the staff members.
  • Tags (marked pink): The creator of a thread is able to tag his own threads so that other members can use the tag search function to find his thread.
  • Page numbers (marked brown): This tells you how many pages the thread has.

SYMBOLs.thumb.png.f88d41d48de376558c6fee

This is a rather short one, but you are able to toggle chat sound notification on and off. When the chat notification sound is on, you will hear a sound everytime someone sends a new message. The button is located in the top right corner of the chat, as shown in the picture.

F_B_8.thumb.png.55b5f6d55f3f80a45888b9ab

14. How do I quote and multiquote members ?

Members very frequently use the quote system to let someone know that his post is meant for that person specifically, it can make discussions much clearer to read and follow. To quote a member, you need to click on the "Quote" button (marked red). This will automatically start a post with his comment quoted in it. You are able to change the quoted text by simply clicking on it and changing it. The person you quoted will receive a notification (if he didn't disable quote notifications) notifying him that you quoted him.

You are also able to quote multiple people at once. To multiquote you need to go to the members' post and click on the " + " symbol (marked dark blue) in the bottom left of his post. Whenever you've quoted someone using the multiquote function, a small window (marked light blue) will appear in the bottom left corner of your screen and the " + " symbol will turn into a check mark (marked green), letting you know that this post has been added in your multiquote. To start writing your post, you simply click on the "Quote 1 post" button in the small window (marked light blue). The number in that button represents the amount of threads you have quoted.

FB_1.thumb.png.01d066e15f2df892e6e35dd13

15. How do I make a hyperlink ?

Whenever you are writing a post, you have the ability to use the formatting tools that are located at the top of the post you're writing. The formatting tools are marked green. One of these tools enables you to basically combine text with a link. To do that, you must click on the symbol that is marked red in the picture below. Whenever you click on it, a window called "Link" will appear. The only thing you have to do is paste your link under "URL" and write your link text under "Link text".

Example: This is my link: http://forum.bfreborn.com/ and this is my text: Battleforge Reborn Forums. By using this tool I can turn those 2 into the following hyperlink: Battleforge Reborn Forums

FB_3.thumb.png.e757eda67a33934d1ce45fe38

16. How do I get reputation ?

This one is very simple. You get reputation by other people either giving your posts/status updates a like or a dislike. As you would imagine, getting a like would increase your reputation by 1 and with a dislike it would decrease by 1. You can like posts by clicking on the small green box (marked green) or dislike them by clicking on the small red box (marked red). You are always able to remove a reputation you gave, by clicking on the dislike button after giving a like.

FB_4.thumb.png.7974b00031fe8aa13cb36f020

17. Is there a way to easily mention someone in the chat ?

Of course there is, that's why this is in my guide. While in the chat, you can simply click on a player's name (not the profile picture!) to mention him (marked green). So instead of writing @kestas3 you can simply click on his name in the chat (he must have written something in the chat), and it will automatically write @kestas3. This way he knows you are talking to him. Very handy!

rsz_kestas_bug.thumb.png.14e6e805fd17954

I hope you have learned something from this. Feel free to suggest any features that I should add.

Donate Guide.png

Ultrakool likes this

only thing i would like to get added are those red borders for the first 2 sections. You had those in the last sections and it made it really easy to find the exact right parts you were talking about. Other than that, i think its a nice little guide :)

only thing i would like to get added are those red borders for the first 2 sections. You had those in the last sections and it made it really easy to find the exact right parts you were talking about. Other than that, i think its a nice little guide :)

I'm going to be completely honest with you here: I was too lazy to change it :ladadoos: 

I will change it though, thanks for pointing it out. Thanks for pinning it MrXLink.

Added 4 more features to the guide:

Added 4 more features to the guide:

what did you need my thread for?

report kiwi for calling you pudding? :b

She is actually one of the reasons I put that feature in this guide: She asked me how to report a post. 

New feature added: 14. How do I quote and  multiquote members ?

Edited by ladadoos

report kiwi for calling you pudding? :b

haha ikr 

nice guide :P I suggest adding how to for changing font and size and adding links to your post. I mean links that have names, cause I don't know how that works.

Indeed. Unfortunately that deck builder is using the single cards found on the website then resizes them.

The share button only copies card names. Can't see a way of sharing a full deck - unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious - without using brute force (print screen, crop, upload then link image). Would be a nice feature though. Want to put a request in?

for the deck sharing

00.png

01.png

Where does he paste it? But it would still be nice to embed it as an image. I'm making a deck-building guide and I'd like to just put images of example decks without requiring the reader to click a link every line.

well u can pick your cards to deck and than click the loop it will only display cards from your deck than unzoom page printscreen your cards and you have your picture of all cards one next each other

Clipboard0005.jpg

Haha, I wasn't recommending that ^_^ Thought you'd like to embed only a card or two!

Send a pm to @Dawn or post your request here to see if he's willing/able to implement this.

https://mega.nz/#!u4s1CIIT!0tKinXcEHYLlt3RqA23_TfnaQ-OCIFQ2Aqnds2yx7Ag

@Eirias and paste the code on the same place where u took it

• 4 weeks later...