The NPE (New Player Experience)

I will have little to no trouble logging into the game and picking up roughly where I left off on my skill level, sure we are all rusty, but we all also understand the game.  However one of the major and I mean MAJOR drawbacks to BF was the NPE.  Even with all the guides out there, it was difficult to grasp the concept especially in PvP, and many did not understand that it took months to really get good, I mean really good.

So my question is this.  How can we handle this differently than EA did? 

What as a community do we need to try to provide for a better NPE?

Detailed and up to date guides with pics screen's and information?

Video tutorials?

Something explaining a good card from a bad card and a good timing play vs a bad timing play?

I personally will probably focus initially on the NPE and do my best through my vids to help teach newer folks the finer points in this game

What else can we do?  I figure if we get the ball rolling now, then by the time launch hits we should be stronger than when BF first launched.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started this was one of the finer points in my overall gameplay experience.

I love to figure out this kind of stuff on my own and, as you said, getting really good at playing the game, for me at least, is a challenge and somewhat of an adventure to be had. I believe that gameplay videos, guides and such was enough in the old Battleforge. Getting really good at the game IMO would have to require actually playing the game and getting the know-how yourself. This is (again for me) part of the fun of starting a brand new game and also the greatest long term challenge that one could get. Other than collecting al the cards.

But, I know, some people like to read guides to either skip the learning period or refine their techniques. Having said that gameplay guides are essential to become good faster. Other than substantial guides, videos and Q&A section of the forum (which is already present) I don't belive we can do much else.

welll i guess the first gameplay  is rly interessting you have your ,,basic" cards and make some missions then you see hmm this clas can summon a juggernaut or hmm this class play rly defensiv :D i think thats the best experience on bf the ways you can get all cards and how many ways you can build some decks ^^ i can only rate for beginners nature because of many heal spells ^^ then fire ,,frost and at least shadow ^^ the basic elements are easyer to learn as the fire/shadow  etc. because you didn´t know at the beginnig waht you should take in wich deck ^^ i mean yeah at least it should make you fun :P but some mission are anyways rly ugly ^^

Edited by Amergo

I will have little to no trouble logging into the game and picking up roughly where I left off on my skill level, sure we are all rusty, but we all also understand the game.  However one of the major and I mean MAJOR drawbacks to BF was the NPE.  Even with all the guides out there, it was difficult to grasp the concept especially in PvP, and many did not understand that it took months to really get good, I mean really good.

So my question is this.  How can we handle this differently than EA did? 

What as a community do we need to try to provide for a better NPE?

Detailed and up to date guides with pics screen's and information?

Video tutorials?

Something explaining a good card from a bad card and a good timing play vs a bad timing play?

I personally will probably focus initially on the NPE and do my best through my vids to help teach newer folks the finer points in this game

What else can we do?  I figure if we get the ball rolling now, then by the time launch hits we should be stronger than when BF first launched.

As community we cant do more than creating guides and tutorials. Obviously especially those that explain the basics of the game. Even though the game didnt even started we have already some guides here in the forums that have exactly that topic. For example Erias guide related to PVP deck building, including explanations for every card: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/917-how-to-build-a-pvp-deck-guide/

However a lot of newer players arent active in the forums so whenever they have a question ingame someone should answer and give a hint to a thread/ guide in the forums that could give him more input regarding to his question.

Just stay friendly to new players and provide with the knowledge to find the correct guides or answer easier questions by yourself. Probably play some games with them and teach them a little/ give tips.

As community we cant do more than creating guides and tutorials. Obviously especially those that explain the basics of the game. Even though the game didnt even started we have already some guides here in the forums that have exactly that topic. For example Erias guide related to PVP deck building, including explanations for every card: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/917-how-to-build-a-pvp-deck-guide/

However a lot of newer players arent active in the forums so whenever they have a question ingame someone should answer and give a hint to a thread/ guide in the forums that could give him more input regarding to his question.

Just stay friendly to new players and provide with the knowledge to find the correct guides or answer easier questions by yourself. Probably play some games with them and teach them a little/ give tips.

yeah thats true but i guess the best way to help new players is not that you show them all and everything ^^ they must get her own feelings with the cards they must see wich cards perfect works with others :D ^^ in the time as bf was active i had a friend that was complete new in game  i helped him only in fact that i explain him wich element do wich playstyle (frost=defensiv etc.) ^^ and i guess forums and topics are more for players who want some expert tips or better sayed some ideas of the community ^^ 

ps: sry for the bad english xD

The first time I played BF, I wasn't active in the forums at all. I didn't even realize it existed/it was important. I think the best way to help new players is to make the forums an essential/important part of the game...for instance, I heard that our forum accounts would be linked to our in-game accounts and that BFP would be distributed through our forum accounts. If that's true, I think that would go a long way towards solving this problem. That way when the new player is already on the forum, he might check some things out by curiosity and find a guide (I made a thread with a list of all the guides on it...if that gets stickied it will make it even easier for new players to see what guides are available).

Yeah, when someone in game asks for help you should help him, but I'm pretty sure we did that anyway. The BF community was really nice. I think a better tutorial might help, but that won't change at least for a while. Even if we make videos, the number of new people that will see it will be very low, unless they are all directed there (like from a thread with a list of all the useful guides on it).

In reality though,I don't think it's the lack of skill that hurts the NPE. I think it has to do with the fact that they feel such a disadvantage in cards when they face other players. The two ways to help this would be to make the starting cards better (see here for my discussion about that: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/653-starting-cards/) or if we allow the option to rent cards (again, not going to go into detail about that but you can check it out here: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/833-renting-cards/)

But as far as helping new player skill increase (which I don't think is that big a deal because I don't think most noobs mind being bad), the best guide in the world will not help the player who doesn't read it. The trick is just making new players encounter guides by force (like, somewhere they see it and have the option to click on it), whether that be a link in the game itself (I don't think that works) or just making the use of forums mandatory (or beneficial--even if the accounts aren't linked, maybe you can get tokens or bfp any time a post gets a like or something to just encourage users to visit the forums). The theory is that once the new player is here, he'll peruse guides out of curiosity. Just like the game itself, it wasn't the lack of quality guides that prevented player from improving, but rather the lack of advertisement for those guides.

Sorry for the question, but what is NPE?

In the title.... is says NPE is New Player Experience.....

The first time I played BF, I wasn't active in the forums at all. I didn't even realize it existed/it was important. I think the best way to help new players is to make the forums an essential/important part of the game...for instance, I heard that our forum accounts would be linked to our in-game accounts and that BFP would be distributed through our forum accounts. If that's true, I think that would go a long way towards solving this problem. That way when the new player is already on the forum, he might check some things out by curiosity and find a guide (I made a thread with a list of all the guides on it...if that gets stickied it will make it even easier for new players to see what guides are available).

Yeah, when someone in game asks for help you should help him, but I'm pretty sure we did that anyway. The BF community was really nice. I think a better tutorial might help, but that won't change at least for a while. Even if we make videos, the number of new people that will see it will be very low, unless they are all directed there (like from a thread with a list of all the useful guides on it).

In reality though,I don't think it's the lack of skill that hurts the NPE. I think it has to do with the fact that they feel such a disadvantage in cards when they face other players. The two ways to help this would be to make the starting cards better (see here for my discussion about that: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/653-starting-cards/) or if we allow the option to rent cards (again, not going to go into detail about that but you can check it out here: http://forum.bfreborn.com/index.php?/topic/833-renting-cards/)

But as far as helping new player skill increase (which I don't think is that big a deal because I don't think most noobs mind being bad), the best guide in the world will not help the player who doesn't read it. The trick is just making new players encounter guides by force (like, somewhere they see it and have the option to click on it), whether that be a link in the game itself (I don't think that works) or just making the use of forums mandatory (or beneficial--even if the accounts aren't linked, maybe you can get tokens or bfp any time a post gets a like or something to just encourage users to visit the forums). The theory is that once the new player is here, he'll peruse guides out of curiosity. Just like the game itself, it wasn't the lack of quality guides that prevented player from improving, but rather the lack of advertisement for those guides.

In the title.... is says NPE is New Player Experience.....

i think linking the forums with the game will solve the problem that people just dont find those guys as they dont know about the forums. However its not really confirmed that it will happen, it only got suggested and possible features such a linkage could bring to the forums. Its been said that its technically possible, but obviously there might be security issues. So if thats not an option due to those issues at least at the release it might be enough to promote the forums more ingame. As far as i know there wasnt really any promotion for it. I think that would probably not solve the issue completely but is a good first step. How that promotion should look like exactly needs to be discussed however. The obvious solutions would be:

• mentioning it in hints of the day( probably even multiple hints)
  • An ingame mail when entering the game
  • Some promotion in the starting/ news side when opening the game

i think linking the forums with the game will solve the problem that people just dont find those guys as they dont know about the forums. However its not really confirmed that it will happen, it only got suggested and possible features such a linkage could bring to the forums. Its been said that its technically possible, but obviously there might be security issues. So if thats not an option due to those issues at least at the release it might be enough to promote the forums more ingame. As far as i know there wasnt really any promotion for it. I think that would probably not solve the issue completely but is a good first step. How that promotion should look like exactly needs to be discussed however. The obvious solutions would be:

• mentioning it in hints of the day( probably even multiple hints)
  • An ingame mail when entering the game
  • Some promotion in the starting/ news side when opening the game

I thought there was a reference to the forums in BF? But it wasn't very prominent.

I totally agree with these though, if we can't link the forum and in-game accounts. Big, bold advertisements and mentions on hints of the day.

Here's another idea: You remember how we got Lord Cyrian for playing Lord of Ultima, and then getting that code and typing it in to the marketplace (that's how we got it, right?)? What if we made incentives like that on the forum. When you create a forum account you get a minor reward (if the changed starting cards aren't implemented, this could be a good way to get those fire and shadow t1 cards to people--or maybe even just give Lord Cyrian), and maybe you get a free booster when you get a certain rank (not too high so people don't spam, but high enough that someone would be familiar with the forums...maybe 50 or 100 posts). 

Rather than directly linking that to the account, you could get a code which you type in to claim your reward.

I thought there was a reference to the forums in BF? But it wasn't very prominent.

I totally agree with these though, if we can't link the forum and in-game accounts. Big, bold advertisements and mentions on hints of the day.

Here's another idea: You remember how we got Lord Cyrian for playing Lord of Ultima, and then getting that code and typing it in to the marketplace (that's how we got it, right?)? What if we made incentives like that on the forum. When you create a forum account you get a minor reward (if the changed starting cards aren't implemented, this could be a good way to get those fire and shadow t1 cards to people--or maybe even just give Lord Cyrian), and maybe you get a free booster when you get a certain rank (not too high so people don't spam, but high enough that someone would be familiar with the forums...maybe 50 or 100 posts). 

Rather than directly linking that to the account, you could get a code which you type in to claim your reward.

good idea but i Think i good reward will be custom reward liike frost you get a kobold engi.  or like your say all get lord cyrian ^^ on booster is a good idea but then give it people who spam some crap into the forums to get this full^^

I would like to limit 1 of those forum codes per account though. I think that could get implemented into a possible achievement system aswell.

I think 50 posts are even to much. I am not exactly sure how many people have 50 posts in this forum yet, but i think its not a high percentage. I think 20 or 25 are reasonable and enough to make people familiar with the forums. About the reward im not to sure. Probably thats really something Cyrian would fit in, instead of promoting LoU using him to promote the forums. I dont know how hard it was to get Cyrian as i never signed into LoU myself and didnt played the necassery quest to get him,so i cant really judge about that.

Having helped a lot of new players in this game over the years when it was active, not knowing about the forums was most definitely a hindrance to them.  Also when you have 15 to 20 guides sticked in a thread it can be a bit confusing as well.  Some guides focus more on one thing, while others will focus on something else.  This is in part what I was trying to accomplish with my Nature Series of Replays to show pure nature folks tips and tricks about the nature cards.... Green Dryad..... anyone. 

We have all knowledge of the game PvE and PvP, and we all have something to add.  Just trying to figure out a way to make it easily accessible and understandable to a new player who knows nothing of BF.  IMHO even though the game seems to be doing well for the moment with just the thought of it coming back.  There is a very steep and difficult learning curve to this game especially the PvP aspect of it.  Without retention we will have the same issues EA had.

Edited by Darian DelFord

Having helped a lot of new players in this game over the years when it was active, not knowing about the forums was most definitely a hindrance to them.  Also when you have 15 to 20 guides sticked in a thread it can be a bit confusing as well.  Some guides focus more on one thing, while others will focus on something else.  This is in part what I was trying to accomplish with my Nature Series of Replays to show pure nature folks tips and tricks about the nature cards.... Green Dryad..... anyone. 

We have all knowledge of the game PvE and PvP, and we all have something to add.  Just trying to figure out a way to make it easily accessible and understandable to a new player who knows nothing of BF.  IMHO even though the game seems to be doing well for the moment with just the thought of it coming back.  There is a very steep and difficult learning curve to this game especially the PvP aspect of it.  Without retention we will have the same issues EA had.

You start by making simple guides from scratch explaining new players the "way of thought" the concept of playing the game , mechanics how important it is to manage power and void power efficiently. the transition from 1orb unit to 2nd ,, 3rd, 4th, deck building skill as to remember and learn all cards and test combos of different builds, each map can be easily done with a better combo for that particular map.

As to pvp explain what is the most crucial aspects of pvp, at start of the game, mid of the game, and end game what should be the goals .

like resource /defense/ speed/ territory control./crucial power managment from the start and more stuff.

Make a full thread explaining each of these mechanics in depth.

You start by making simple guides from scratch explaining new players the "way of thought" the concept of playing the game , mechanics how important it is to manage power and void power efficiently. the transition from 1orb unit to 2nd ,, 3rd, 4th, deck building skill as to remember and learn all cards and test combos of different builds, each map can be easily done with a better combo for that particular map.

As to pvp explain what is the most crucial aspects of pvp, at start of the game, mid of the game, and end game what should be the goals .

like resource /defense/ speed/ territory control./crucial power managment from the start and more stuff.

Make a full thread explaining each of these mechanics in depth.

That was my school of thought as well.  However until we can get into the client its difficult to do it without showing it.  Readings guides are great for folks who understand what Void Power is, and Power manipulation, however to the Newb, they are just words.

Having helped a lot of new players in this game over the years when it was active, not knowing about the forums was most definitely a hindrance to them.  Also when you have 15 to 20 guides sticked in a thread it can be a bit confusing as well.

That has always been a problem, same with people reading stickies - they won't, if there are too many of them or contain generic information. More than half a dozen guides in each area (e.g. PvE and PvP) will scare away the vast majority.

Mentoring works, because of the familiar environment. If you want to learn about advanced tactics and mechanics, it's better to see or experience them ingame. The only problem is, you have to do it separately for each individual.
Hence guides on youtube are preferred to newbies, as long as the contents are presented in an interesting way without unnecessary filler. You can squeeze so much in a 15-20 minute video, and people can relate to what they see since everything is explained and shown during gameplay. Reading takes more effort, and the willingness to do it. And that is what most newcomers lack. If the game is not accessible enough, the tutorial is disjointed and there isn't a video around to pique their interest then they'll give up and leave.

I think the best way to help new players is to set up a good information page on the website (not forum) specialy made for new players. First of all, new players will always look on the website first (even before downloading, to see if they like the game). Secondly, the forum has way too much information for a new player who wouldnt understand the half of it, so they wont know where to look and probably only get confused more.

So one page with a good introduction to the game should be the starting point for new players. This page could be called 'new player help' or 'game info' or something like that. This page should have two sections: first, a section with basic game information containing information like explaining the 'card' part of the game, the different factions, upgrades and how to earn BFP. I dont think this should be walls of text, but just the basics with some pictures to give a good first impression and to quickly learn what the game is about.

The other part of this page should be a selection made by the staff with links to good 'new player guides', (tutorial) videos and more detailed game information posted by the community on the forum. This will give the new players a good introduction to the forum and the community while they dont need to find their own way through the thousands of posts because they are guided to the most helpfull threads by the staff.

Another idea to improve the New Player Experience could be for good PvP players to give a PvP training. For example a good player could make a thread on the forum where new players can sign up for a sparring training. The advantage in comparison to mentoring is that he might be able to teach several new players at once. In this sparring training, the PvP player will play against the new players one by one while the others will spectate. After each good move or mistake, the PvP player will point out the good and bad things the new player did (and the spectators will be able to ask questions).  

Edited by MephistoRoss

I think the best way to help new players is to set up a good information page on the website (not forum) specialy made for new players. First of all, new players will always look on the website first (even before downloading, to see if they like the game). Secondly, the forum has way too much information for a new player who wouldnt understand the half of it, so they wont know where to look and probably only get confused more.

So one page with a good introduction to the game should be the starting point for new players. This page could be called 'new player help' or 'game info' or something like that. This page should have two sections: first, a section with basic game information containing information like explaining the 'card' part of the game, the different factions, upgrades and how to earn BFP. I dont think this should be walls of text, but just the basics with some pictures to give a good first impression and to quickly learn what the game is about.

The other part of this page should be a selection made by the staff with links to good 'new player guides', (tutorial) videos and more detailed game information posted by the community on the forum. This will give the new players a good introduction to the forum and the community while they dont need to find their own way through the thousands of posts because they are guided to the most helpfull threads by the staff.

Another idea to improve the New Player Experience could be for good PvP players to give a PvP training. For example a good player could make a thread on the forum where new players can sign up for a sparring training. The advantage in comparison to mentoring is that he might be able to teach several new players at once. In this sparring training, the PvP player will play against the new players one by one while the others will spectate. After each good move or mistake, the PvP player will point out the good and bad things the new player did (and the spectators will be able to ask questions).  

+1

Very good suggestion, esp about the page on the website. After we get a good bit of guides done we should see if the dev's would let us put them somewhere on the website in pdf form.

• 3 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc5gaLn-boL9hfxsDfTCsIPBmagKwkavo

Some useful tutorials. Also his PvP casts are educating too :)

As a 'experienced' BF player, I still watched all of those tutorial videos about a month ago. They are really usefull for people who have just a little sense of the game, and need more information to get started.

• 6 months later...

The main issue with this game is the level of complexity. The TCG aspect itself is complicated and lies somewhere between HS and MTG so it would be nice to shift the complexity towards HS without sacrificing the quality. If there is a way to do this it would be through working on the ability wording (make them clearer and perhaps with less words by adding keywords).

I think one of the better areas to focus on is referrals/friends. After all, friends tend to help each other so if we could add rewards for friends helping each other it would make it a lot easier on new players if their more experienced friends would help them during the early stages of the game. So many things can be done here and I would like to suggest a few:

1. Getting a small reward for referring friends to the game. (probably already suggested)
  2. Getting a small reward for friends who reach higher levels/ranks. This might incentivize players to help their friends learn the different mechanics of the game.
  3. Create a quest where one would have to spectate a friend and have them win the game (PvP/PvE). Not sure how applicable this is since spectator mode was not officially implemented in BF and would probably require quite a bit of work to get it to properly work.
  4. Create a quest (with slightly higher than average reward) where you win a PvE game or play a PvP game with a friend. (This one is probably easier to implement and I feel it would be very nice to play multiplayer games with friends, especially if I am rewarded for it.)

I hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Sylo said:

The main issue with this game is the level of complexity. The TCG aspect itself is complicated and lies somewhere between HS and MTG so it would be nice to shift the complexity towards HS without sacrificing the quality. If there is a way to do this it would be through working on the ability wording (make them clearer and perhaps with less words by adding keywords).

I think one of the better areas to focus on is referrals/friends. After all, friends tend to help each other so if we could add rewards for friends helping each other it would make it a lot easier on new players if their more experienced friends would help them during the early stages of the game. So many things can be done here and I would like to suggest a few:

1. Getting a small reward for referring friends to the game. (probably already suggested)
  2. Getting a small reward for friends who reach higher levels/ranks. This might incentivize players to help their friends learn the different mechanics of the game.
  3. Create a quest where one would have to spectate a friend and have them win the game (PvP/PvE). Not sure how applicable this is since spectator mode was not officially implemented in BF and would probably require quite a bit of work to get it to properly work.
  4. Create a quest (with slightly higher than average reward) where you win a PvE game or play a PvP game with a friend. (This one is probably easier to implement and I feel it would be very nice to play multiplayer games with friends, especially if I am rewarded for it.)

I hope this helps.

1. Refer-a-friend-systems are generally very abusive due to multi accounting and are not an option without some kind of function that makes multi accounting unattractive, such as the referred player reaching a certain rank and/or playing with the person who referred him. It is possible to balance it out but is not easy for sure.

2. How are you going to determine who should get those rewards? Every friend? Friends that played a certain amount of time with you? Players you got on your friendlist for a certain amount of time?

Also the rewards have to be super small if you get a reward for every rank up as otherwise it is just straight up to much bonus, especially early on where you are ranking up so fast.

3. i do not think that this is worth the necassery work to implement this feature - at least for a long time.

4. I would propably not make that quest on its own but a requirement to get a refer-a-friend-system reward.

Also think about this: Whats about those players that do not have friends within the game? They're kinde screwed, right? And even those that do have friends - doesn't automaticlally mean that they are able to help you, right? I do not know how you want to determine who is actually helping a friend to learn the game as playing with them is not exactly a reliable way to do check that. While i appreciate the thought of making the game easier accessable, i think you should try to search for a solution that everyone has a benefit of and which will help everyone to actually learn the game. And honestly the only way that i could think of is to have more Tutorials. I mean the actual Tutorial map is simply not enough tp explain more than the very raw basics - and i feel lile even there it tends to struggle in certain areas. We would probably need 1 or 2 extra tutorial maps to help players getting a basic understanding of what affinities are for example. This does not solve issues like card knowledge but it leaves every player with a better overview :).

8 minutes ago, Treim said:

1. Refer-a-friend-systems are generally very abusive due to multi accounting and are not an option without some kind of function that makes multi accounting unattractive, such as the referred player reaching a certain rank and/or playing with the person who referred him. It is possible to balance it out but is not easy for sure.

2. How are you going to determine who should get those rewards? Every friend? Friends that played a certain amount of time with you? Players you got on your friendlist for a certain amount of time?

Also the rewards have to be super small if you get a reward for every rank up as otherwise it is just straight up to much bonus, especially early on where you are ranking up so fast.

3. i do not think that this is worth the necassery work to implement this feature - at least for a long time.

4. I would properly not make thatan quest on its own but a requirement to get a refer-a-friend-system reward.

Also think about this: Whats about those players that do not have friends within the game? They're kinde screwed, right? And even those that do have friends - doesn't automaticlally mean that they are able to help you, right? I do not know how you want to determine who is actually helping a friend to learn the game as playing with them is not exactly a reliable way to do check that. While i appreciate the thought of making the game easier accessable, i think you should try to search for a solution that everyone has a benefit of and which will help everyone to actually learn the game. And honestly the only way that i could think of is to have more Tutorials. I mean the actual Tutorial map is simply not enough tp explain more than the very raw basics - and i feel lile even there it tends to struggle in certain areas. We would probably need 1 or 2 extra tutorial maps to help players getting a basic understanding of what affinities are for example. This does not solve issues like card knowledge but it leaves every player with a better overview :).

1 and 2. By combining 1 and 2 so that you are rewarded for a friend who reached a certain rank (rewarding for every rank is too much) and limiting the number of rewards you can get. This way multi-accounting becomes too much of a hassle.

3. Like I said, it might not be viable so no need to pursue it.

4. I would leave it up to the devs to decide how to implement it but it's not a bad idea.

Regarding those who do not have friends, right now I have no idea how BFR is racking new players but I would assume some, if not most, heard of it from a friends or an existing member and since BFR is also a social game I don't see why this suggestion is bad. As for tutorial maps, I agree, it's a pretty good idea but you won't be able to add official maps so they would have to be custom tutorial maps.

2 hours ago, Treim said:

And honestly the only way that i could think of is to have more Tutorials. I mean the actual Tutorial map is simply not enough tp explain more than the very raw basics - and i feel lile even there it tends to struggle in certain areas. We would probably need 1 or 2 extra tutorial maps to help players getting a basic understanding of what affinities are for example. This does not solve issues like card knowledge but it leaves every player with a better overview :).

My opinion as well. The tutorial map left out so much important stuff. Hopefully we'll be able to remedy this with youtube videos though.

I wonder if there could be some sort of quiz that new players get, maybe after a few weeks or a month of playing? Thinks like "What is voidpower" and "what are unit counters" and small bfp rewards for right answers.